Warpath  

Home | Forums | Shop | Donate




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


The coordinators

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2016, 01:15 AM   #16
Gamebreaker
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 29
Posts: 13,585
Re: The coordinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I wouldn't give up on Breeland, when he goes to another and does well people will be whining.
Of course he's gonna do well when he goes to another team, right now his problems are all mental. He did a solid job as the #1 before Norman got here but basically being demoted to covering the next best guy has fucked up his mentality. Damn shame too but unless he accepts not being "the man" he won't be as good as he used to be here.
__________________
State of the Redskins 2017
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-05-2016, 02:05 AM   #17
Registered User
 
FlyerSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Greater Detroit area
Age: 47
Posts: 491
Re: The coordinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I wouldn't give up on Breeland, when he goes to another and does well people will be whining.
He sucks. Other than Norman and Fuller, we can replace our entire complement of defensive backs with draftees or top undrafted guys next May and probably we be a lot better. Breeland is just getting smoked when against top tier hideouts. I still remember guys in the old
Wash Post online skins forum bitching about the skins dbs under Norv sans Darrel Green. I would kindly take those guys over Breeland and our current crop of safeties any day.
FlyerSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:11 AM   #18
Registered User
 
FlyerSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Greater Detroit area
Age: 47
Posts: 491
Re: The coordinators

[quote=SFREDSKIN;1157972]I wouldn't give up on Breeland, when he goes to another and does well people will be whining.[/quote

He needs to get his act together.
FlyerSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:15 AM   #19
Registered User
 
FlyerSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Greater Detroit area
Age: 47
Posts: 491
Re: The coordinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Baker and cravens also. That's probably it. Breeland sucks ass
Forgot about
Baker. Left out
Sua just because he is a rook and gets an automatic pass as does
Fuller.
FlyerSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:30 AM   #20
Playmaker
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 4,163
Re: The coordinators

This coordinator thread quickly devolved into yet another discussion of players. Let's get back to the coordinators.

Sean McVay bothers me more than Joe Barry as a coordinator because he has better players to work with than Barry does, yet McVay hasn't solved problems that the offense has had all season long.

This offense goes well until we get to the opposing team's 40 yard-line. At that point, it gets progressively less effective until it bogs down in the Red Zone, if it gets that far, until the play-calling becomes downright stupid inside the 10 yard-line.

- We settled for too many field goals last night. Long ones, too. Where are the effective plays inside the opponent's 40 yard-line?

- Why do we have so many procedure penalties, especially in the Red Zone? It's not one or two players or positions that get the penalties. It's interior linemen and tackles, tight ends, and even wide receivers. Who do we blame for that not getting fixed?

- We get a first down on the 2 yard-line. What do you do there? I'll tell you. You give the ball to Fat Rob and he scores. Red Zone 101. But not McVay. He calls a roll-out. It was open but Kirk threw a poor pass and a lineman committed a penalty on the play. That is a lost down and a penalty that should not have happened.

- Later on McVay calls a fade pattern in the end zone to DeSean Jackson versus Patrick Peterson. Are you kidding me? Go down on the field, stand between Jackson and Peterson and tell me if you think that pass could ever be completed. Of course Peterson stopped it like he was shooing away a fly. Not to mention that, in general, Kirk is poor at throwing fade passes.

- Here is another question I'm asking myself about the Red Zone play calling: What is Jay Gruden's role in this nonsense? Does he approve of these play calls? Does he ever overrule McVay's calls? Does he call some of these plays himself? I don't know. What I do know is that Gruden hasn't fixed the problem.
__________________
You Like That!

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 12-05-2016 at 10:03 AM.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #21
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,876
Re: The coordinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Hammer View Post
Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Today's outcome was disheartening but the team has made big improvements...on offense. The defense is another matter.
I totally agree. This team does sputter in the red zone but they still score points. The D still struggles to hold teams under 25 and that put a lot of pressure on the O. Hopefully in the off season there are improvements made on D.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #22
MVP
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,784
Re: The coordinators

I can't put the false starts on McVay. What's he suppose to do about that? That is a 100 percent mental error. It's obvious to me that the oline isn't a good run blocking group. They're just not. And then there have been some bad play calls. It looked like we were really missing Reed yesterday. The red zone is a combination of things.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #23
Impact Rookie
 
metalskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 685
Re: The coordinators

Sean McVay is a solid offensive coordinator. Joe Barry can probably be a decent defensive coordinator with more talent on the defensive side of the ball. It comes down to which you want more - a savvy defensive coordinator who can take subpar talent and turn that unit into one that overachieves, or a middle of the road defensive coordinator who has outstanding talent that makes him look like a genius?

Many will go for the former, but I will tell you this, at some point, I don't care how good the DC is, the defense gets exposed. At least with the latter, you know that you have a solid, talented group on defense, and if they are failing, then it's because of the DC and his scheme. In yesterday's game, Barry called the correct defensive call, but the players didn't execute. And when the players did execute, the offensive players made great plays showed they were better.

So, as much as I'd like a genius DC who's coaching outstanding talent on the defensive side of the ball, I'm not sure if we're going to get that. I think SM will focus more on bringing in better players on the defensive side of the ball, and give Joe Barry all the help he needs to succeed. Simply put, defenses win championships, but offenses get you to those championships. So, I think we're about 90% there on offense, but the defense has to catch up. You give our coordinators one more year with better talent and see what happens from there.
__________________
Reserved for a witty signature.
metalskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #24
Playmaker
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 4,163
Re: The coordinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I can't put the false starts on McVay. What's he suppose to do about that? That is a 100 percent mental error. It's obvious to me that the oline isn't a good run blocking group. They're just not. And then there have been some bad play calls. It looked like we were really missing Reed yesterday. The red zone is a combination of things.
I know false starts can be fixed because other teams have far fewer of them than we do. Since it can be fixed and needs to be fixed then the coaches must fix it. I don't know how they're supposed to fix it and I don't care. Just fix it!
__________________
You Like That!
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #25
Impact Rookie
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 734
Re: The coordinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
This coordinator thread quickly devolved into yet another discussion of players. Let's get back to the coordinators.

Sean McVay bothers me more than Joe Barry as a coordinator because he has better players to work with than Barry does, yet McVay hasn't solved problems that the offense has had all season long.

This offense goes well until we get to the opposing team's 40 yard-line. At that point, it gets progressively less effective until it bogs down in the Red Zone, if it gets that far, until the play-calling becomes downright stupid inside the 10 yard-line.

- We settled for too many field goals last night. Long ones, too. Where are the effective plays inside the opponent's 40 yard-line?

- Why do we have so many procedure penalties, especially in the Red Zone? It's not one or two players or positions that get the penalties. It's interior linemen and tackles, tight ends, and even wide receivers. Who do we blame for that not getting fixed?

- We get a first down on the 2 yard-line. What do you do there? I'll tell you. You give the ball to Fat Rob and he scores. Red Zone 101. But not McVay. He calls a roll-out. It was open but Kirk threw a poor pass and a lineman committed a penalty on the play. That is a lost down and a penalty that should not have happened.

- Later on McVay calls a fade pattern in the end zone to DeSean Jackson versus Patrick Peterson. Are you kidding me? Go down on the field, stand between Jackson and Peterson and tell me if you think that pass could ever be completed. Of course Peterson stopped it like he was shooing away a fly. Not to mention that, in general, Kirk is poor at throwing fade passes.

- Here is another question I'm asking myself about the Red Zone play calling: What is Jay Gruden's role in this nonsense? Does he approve of these play calls? Does he ever overrule McVay's calls? Does he call some of these plays himself? I don't know. What I do know is that Gruden hasn't fixed the problem.
Agreed.

On that play Crowder was open on the other side of the field.
But it feels like we've seen that same playcall and execution again and again when inside the 10: a quick fade where KC just throws it that way into tight coverage without looking for any other solutions...

I have a hard time determining if that play is 100% bad playcalling or if KC could've taken the liberty of looking and throwing elsewhere... I mean he's the QB, he has to have the right to look for a better solution when the receiver is so obviously not open, hasn't he?!
__________________
Is there another french fan of the redskins?

Last edited by FrenchSkin; 12-05-2016 at 11:29 AM.
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #26
Playmaker
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,769
Re: The coordinators

I hope that McCloughan himself forces Gruden to fire Barry! And I can only hope that McCloughan does the same with McVay. There are coordinators on the college level that can mix and blend up the play calling better! Perry Fewell would make the logical choice for the DC. Maybe then the team will return to the 4-3.

As a fan I know McCloughan is a smart football guy. I'm already looking past both Barry and McVay.,
__________________
Touchdown Washington Redskins!!!
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:38 PM   #27
Living Legend
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 40
Posts: 18,864
Re: The coordinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I hope that McCloughan himself forces Gruden to fire Barry! And I can only hope that McCloughan does the same with McVay. There are coordinators on the college level that can mix and blend up the play calling better! Perry Fewell would make the logical choice for the DC. Maybe then the team will return to the 4-3.

As a fan I know McCloughan is a smart football guy. I'm already looking past both Barry and McVay.,
I certain would not get rid of McVay. Barry im up in the air depending on who McC/Gruden would be satisfied with if they would become available. Defensive side of the ball is lacking when it comes to talent.
__________________
I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions. Stephen Covey
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:46 PM   #28
Captain Kirk
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 38
Posts: 10,255
Re: The coordinators

I'm happy with McVay overall. I have a beef with the red zone.

But Barry is not the answer. I can't think of one time that he has ever elevated the defense's performance to a level beyond the talent available. Which means he adds no value. He gets out of the group whatever the talent level that McCloughan hands him.

Yes they need defensive linemen and a rangey safety and I'd add some athletic and aggressive MLBs to that too. But if you're talking solely about the coordinator, what you should be looking for is whether we get production beyond that which we should, given talent. Can he scheme up and get pressure when we really need it, can he get the team communicating at an excellent level, can he get the team to play with tremendous discipline, can he get the team to recognize tendencies in opposing offenses and get a half step jump on the play?

No no no and no. Our defense wins only when Norman, Kerrigan, Murph, Smith, Cravens, or Baker win their matchups. That's it. Talent-driven success and talent driven failure.

The coordinator's job to to get the sum of the parts to add up to something greater. Barry just doesn't. He needs to be replaced.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #29
The Starter
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 1,303
Re: The coordinators

I have to agree with KI Skins Fan. The most troubling thing to me is the fact that this offense can move the ball at will against even the better defenses in the league, but cannot put it in the end zone against anybody...unless it's a 30-50 yard bomb. When Jackson caught that ball on Sunday and was tripped up at the 5...instantly I knew we were only getting 3 points. That's a problem that has persisted all season, with no evidence of improvement - at all. To me that's all McVay.

I think the defense is producing about what we can expect for the talent that is there. I think Barry is doing his best (liked the corner blitzes this weekend) with what he has...he can only get so creative without exposing the weaker links, so unless the players themselves step it up and play above their talent level, it is what it is...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #30
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester, Ny
Age: 30
Posts: 20,232
Re: The coordinators

mcvay hurt his cause yesterday, now the media nationally is talking about our RZ issues
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.12705 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25