Warpath  

Home | Forums | Shop | Donate




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


The coordinators

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #46
MVP
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,559
Re: The coordinators

I don't think I can take another year of Barry. It comes down to the struggles on 3rd down. Last week was the back breaker. He should have came off the bus blitzing Palmer. And although he did blitz more, he wasn't really doing it on 3rd down, when it mattered most. He should have had the same game plan the Cardinals did and make Palmer uncomfortable. Watch this week, he'll let Wentz sit back in the pocket on 3rd down and only rush 4. It looks like he coaches scared on 3rd down. There is no reason why he shouldn't be getting after a rookie QB with shit wr's this week. He won't do it. He has to go.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-07-2016, 04:36 PM   #47
Playmaker
 
Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 3,879
Re: The coordinators

I don't have a huge problem with the Red Zone issues at the moment. We are still top 10 in points per drive in the NFL.

Biggest issues is we are LAST IN DRIVES PER GAME. Which means our defense NEVER gets off the field. So every drive must result in points.

I don't think people understand how great our offense has been this year. It's remarkable
__________________
I need something to cheer about
Redskin Fan since '88
Be friends on Twitter! @thecasualhero
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #48
MVP
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 45
Posts: 10,565
The coordinators

If our defense was halfway decent we are 10-2 at least.
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #49
Impact Rookie
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 583
Re: The coordinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
If our defense was halfway decent we are 10-2 at least.
Agreed. Only game we really didn't have a chance to win was week 1 against Pittsburg. Other than that, all our losses are a few "coulda shoulda woulda" away from being wins...

What really bothers me with our defense is that in each and every single game, there is a moment when they seem to all be on fire and make some key stops... only to collapse a few minutes later on crucial drives!

That's frustrating but would tend to show this defense is only a few pieces away from being just good enough to allow this offense to make this team a really scary one.
__________________
Is there another french fan of the redskins?
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #50
Impact Rookie
 
Bangee7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pa
Posts: 650
Re: The coordinators

For starters, I can care less what our coordinators names are...I just want to see this team win.

But for argument's sake, if we're condemning Barry because he hasn't raised mediocre players to another level, can't the very same argument be made against McVay?

Prove to me that McVay has "schemed" his mediocre run blocking line in order to improve Red Zone scoring? Heck, we rarely call a running play down there & when we do, it's usually just stuffed.

I realize defending Barry gets a lot tougher & my main point on that is the talent drop off between offense & defense. To be honest, Scott McL's moves on that side of the ball just haven't panned out this year. Outside of CB, most areas are down.

Team speed is a big issue, especially at ILB and S.

In Barry's defense though, even though he gets ripped for not blitzing enough, this team is 7th in sacks and just one sack from tying for 4th place.

If Barry is the one who told McL to avoid Defense in the draft and sign Ziggy and Bruton, then I'm in agreement...time for him to go.

But, if he's playing the talent that he is handed, I'm not sure many DC's besides the top 2-3 coordinators would really have much of an improvement.

Again, I won't lose sleep on who our coordinators are, but I think trashing Barry is a little unfair.
Bangee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:18 PM   #51
MVP
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 45
Posts: 10,565
Re: The coordinators

^ agreed.
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #52
Pro Bowl
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 5,675
Re: The coordinators

Well, I'm in the replace Barry camp, but AFAIC our main defensive woes fall on McCloo.
I'd rather use "good" guys that I acquire than take a chance on "molding" some third stringers into first stringers.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:06 AM   #53
Impact Rookie
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 583
Re: The coordinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangee7 View Post
For starters, I can care less what our coordinators names are...I just want to see this team win.

But for argument's sake, if we're condemning Barry because he hasn't raised mediocre players to another level, can't the very same argument be made against McVay?

Prove to me that McVay has "schemed" his mediocre run blocking line in order to improve Red Zone scoring? Heck, we rarely call a running play down there & when we do, it's usually just stuffed.

I realize defending Barry gets a lot tougher & my main point on that is the talent drop off between offense & defense. To be honest, Scott McL's moves on that side of the ball just haven't panned out this year. Outside of CB, most areas are down.

Team speed is a big issue, especially at ILB and S.

In Barry's defense though, even though he gets ripped for not blitzing enough, this team is 7th in sacks and just one sack from tying for 4th place.

If Barry is the one who told McL to avoid Defense in the draft and sign Ziggy and Bruton, then I'm in agreement...time for him to go.

But, if he's playing the talent that he is handed, I'm not sure many DC's besides the top 2-3 coordinators would really have much of an improvement.

Again, I won't lose sleep on who our coordinators are, but I think trashing Barry is a little unfair.
Absolutely true!

We also have to keep in mind he's a "young" defensive coordinator: second year!
To me he's learning, and we've seen some improvement, he's being more creative, bringing pressure, trying to adjust.
But he can only do so much. And when your safeties suck, it's hard to move people around. You don't want to leave receivers one on one against Whitner... or Blackmon... or Fuller... or Dunbar (even if I love the guy and he's improved a lot)... or Compton ... or even Cravens who is doing a good job in coverage, but not a great one.
__________________
Is there another french fan of the redskins?
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #54
Playmaker
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 4,078
Re: The coordinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangee7 View Post
Team speed is a big issue, especially at ILB and S.
This is a huge issue. Week after week I see Joe Barry put players in position to make plays but they just can't get there in time to make a play because of lack of foot speed. That is not Joe Barry's fault.
__________________
You Like That!
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #55
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 35
Posts: 18,608
Re: The coordinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Absolutely true!

We also have to keep in mind he's a "young" defensive coordinator: second year!
To me he's learning, and we've seen some improvement, he's being more creative, bringing pressure, trying to adjust.
But he can only do so much. And when your safeties suck, it's hard to move people around. You don't want to leave receivers one on one against Whitner... or Blackmon... or Fuller... or Dunbar (even if I love the guy and he's improved a lot)... or Compton ... or even Cravens who is doing a good job in coverage, but not a great one.
Speaking of Dunbar, has anyone else noticed he is an INCH away from a pick whenever someone makes a catch on him? He's usually step-for-step, but his hands JUST miss the ball. It's uncanny.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #56
Impact Rookie
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 583
Re: The coordinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Speaking of Dunbar, has anyone else noticed he is an INCH away from a pick whenever someone makes a catch on him? He's usually step-for-step, but his hands JUST miss the ball. It's uncanny.
Right. That's what I meant when I said he's improved a lot. But I think these days with how the passing plays are officiated, only the great corners know how to play physical enough to make a play on the ball and still not get flagged. This has become tricky! They need to take the risk to get flagged, but play it safe enough to not get flagged at each play...
__________________
Is there another french fan of the redskins?
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #57
Special Teams
 
Bishop Hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 254
Re: The coordinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangee7 View Post
For starters, I can care less what our coordinators names are...I just want to see this team win.

Team speed is a big issue, especially at ILB and S.

In Barry's defense though, even though he gets ripped for not blitzing enough, this team is 7th in sacks and just one sack from tying for 4th place.

If Barry is the one who told McL to avoid Defense in the draft and sign Ziggy and Bruton, then I'm in agreement...time for him to go.

But, if he's playing the talent that he is handed, I'm not sure many DC's besides the top 2-3 coordinators would really have much of an improvement.

Again, I won't lose sleep on who our coordinators are, but I think trashing Barry is a little unfair.
Wow I did not know the defense was ranked that high in so many areas? Considering the derth of talent that is impressive.
__________________
I don't have to sell my soul
he's already in me
I don't need to sell my soul
he's already in me
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored

Stone Roses
"I wanna be adored"
Bishop Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #58
Playmaker
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,732
Re: The coordinators

Barry is a bum coordinator. Period! He clueless when it comes to situational football.
__________________
Touchdown Washington Redskins!!!
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #59
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 54
Posts: 10,100
Re: The coordinators

So, just throwing this out there ...

Anyone else realize that the recently fired Gus Bradley has connections to Jay Gruden, Bruce Allen and Scot McC?

- Bradley was TBay's LB coach from 2006-08 while BA was the GM (2004 - 08) and Gruden an offensive assistant (2002 -08).

- Bradley was Seahawks DC from 2009 - 12 while Scot McC a Senior Personnel Assistant (2010-2013).

In addition, per Twitter sources, Bradley was first hired into the pros by Monte Kiffin as a Quality Control Coach for TBay and was subsequently promoted to LB coach based on Joe Barry's suggestion when JB went to Detroit and, after Barry fired by Detroit and Bradley went to Seattle, Barry was rehired for as TBay's LB coach for the 2009 season.

If Barry doesn't turn it around in the next three games, I can see - and would have no problems with - Bradley being our next DC.
__________________
Strap it up, hold onto the ball, and letís go.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #60
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 54
Posts: 10,100
Re: The coordinators

Given that Bradley coached the Seattle defense to dominance with players acquired based on Scot McC's drafting, seems to me to be a very good match.
__________________
Strap it up, hold onto the ball, and letís go.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.13023 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25