Warpath  

Home | Forums | Shop | Donate




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #31
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,138
Re: Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane4theskinsi View Post
obviously,they need to teach it to veterans.portis is not the only redskin this happened to,the same thing happened a few years ago to mark brunnell,which is why he stayed inthe league so long.
Veterans know it all already,some just don't listen.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #32
Captain Kirk
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 37
Posts: 10,147
Re: Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

I echo the sentiments that you have to be a moron to lose this much money.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but we covered basic budgeting and the differences between savings accounts, bonds, stocks, mutual funds, all that stuff in high school.

Every adult should know there are safe vehicles to park your money. Once you've "made it", where someone has given you millions to sign a contract to play football, you should be looking to protect that nest egg, not put it at risk.

Assessing risk is just a matter of basic common sense. Sure it happens to veterans and rookies alike but I still think you have to be an idiot to let it happen to you.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #33
MVP
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,590
Re: Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I echo the sentiments that you have to be a moron to lose this much money.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but we covered basic budgeting and the differences between savings accounts, bonds, stocks, mutual funds, all that stuff in high school.

Every adult should know there are safe vehicles to park your money. Once you've "made it", where someone has given you millions to sign a contract to play football, you should be looking to protect that nest egg, not put it at risk.

Assessing risk is just a matter of basic common sense. Sure it happens to veterans and rookies alike but I still think you have to be an idiot to let it happen to you.
I'm guessing that you come from a background different from Portis. It's easy for YOU to say this when you grew up on a different side of the railroads tracks then a lot of these guys. You can't put yourself in someone's shoes until you're actually in them.

I'm guessing you don't think Joe Gibbs is an idiot but he put himself and his family in a terrible situation as well.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #34
Captain Kirk
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 37
Posts: 10,147
Re: Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I'm guessing that you come from a background different from Portis. It's easy for YOU to say this when you grew up on a different side of the railroads tracks then a lot of these guys. You can't put yourself in someone's shoes until you're actually in them.

I'm guessing you don't think Joe Gibbs is an idiot but he put himself and his family in a terrible situation as well.
But there's a major difference between Gibbs and Portis, and you know it. Portis exposed his money to major downside risk after he was done playing. Meaning the golden goose was dead, he couldn't go back to the NFL to earn another big pay day, his prime was gone. He had a nest egg built up, and no significant skills to fall back on. Yet still exposed his money to great risk.

Gibbs was not in that position - as a coach he always knew he could get another head coaching job when he wanted. And proved it, by the way.

But I hear your point - the background matters. His lack of foresight here points to a) few strong role models in his life who showed him how to think critically and b) a straight up lack of intelligence that hampered his ability to do so independently. But at the same time, Portis went to college. He got tutored so he could stay eligible. He's been exposed to some smart people and no doubt has gotten strong guidance along the way, including advice made available through the NFL and NFLPA. Given those resources available to him I have a hard time understanding how he let this happen to him.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #35
Living Legend
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 40
Posts: 18,253
Re: Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

Ultimately if I was given enormous amounts of money in my early 20s I think the impacts of my parents and how I raised would have blunted the impact of losing large amounts of wealth.

But I can say easily without that, I would have lived the rick James life in the Chappell show with about 50 baby mamas and cocaine would still be a hellavu drug.
__________________
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Winston Churchill
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #36
MTK
‎\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 44
Posts: 88,910
Re: Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

People from all walks of life make mistakes when it comes to money.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #37
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,138
Re: Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
But there's a major difference between Gibbs and Portis, and you know it. Portis exposed his money to major downside risk after he was done playing. Meaning the golden goose was dead, he couldn't go back to the NFL to earn another big pay day, his prime was gone. He had a nest egg built up, and no significant skills to fall back on. Yet still exposed his money to great risk.

Gibbs was not in that position - as a coach he always knew he could get another head coaching job when he wanted. And proved it, by the way.

But I hear your point - the background matters. His lack of foresight here points to a) few strong role models in his life who showed him how to think critically and b) a straight up lack of intelligence that hampered his ability to do so independently. But at the same time, Portis went to college. He got tutored so he could stay eligible. He's been exposed to some smart people and no doubt has gotten strong guidance along the way, including advice made available through the NFL and NFLPA. Given those resources available to him I have a hard time understanding how he let this happen to him.

As Matty said people from all different walks of life have made mistakes with money.You make it sound like just becuase he went to college he should have known better and I must correct you.I know a Rhodes scholar that went bankrupt.Wall street is full of dead bodies of people that should have known better what to do with their own money.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:25 AM   #38
Playmaker
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 34
Posts: 3,404
Re: Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

If you have 10 million bucks and put it in a 1% savings account thats 100k in interest. Way more than i make in a year and very livable.

I don't get why athletes all feel the need to invest. Sit on that shit. Or at least a huge chunk of it.
__________________
What the... That's it! Einhorn is Finkle! Finkle is Einhorn! Einhorn is a man!
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:52 AM   #39
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,138
Re: Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
If you have 10 million bucks and put it in a 1% savings account thats 100k in interest. Way more than i make in a year and very livable.

I don't get why athletes all feel the need to invest. Sit on that shit. Or at least a huge chunk of it.
Many feel the need to help the people that help them achieve their goals,it's not hard to understand.Most professional athletes have a agent, manager,accountant,wife,kids,mother or grandmother or father they are taking care of and $100,000 grand won't cut it.Not hard to understand at all.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #40
Captain Kirk
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 37
Posts: 10,147
Re: Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

Yes it is. It's very hard for me to understand. If you can understand it then you might be the idiot.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #41
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,138
Re: Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Yes it is. It's very hard for me to understand. If you can understand it then you might be the idiot.
Only an idiot couldn't understand.


https://addicted2success.com/success...o-lost-it-all/


70% of Rich Families Lose Their Wealth by the Second Generation | Money
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:28 PM   #42
Captain Kirk
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 37
Posts: 10,147
Re: Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

Are you trying to tell me 70% of Earth's population aren't idiots? Because I sure as hell ain't buying that one.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:07 AM   #43
Playmaker
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 34
Posts: 3,404
Re: Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Many feel the need to help the people that help them achieve their goals,it's not hard to understand.Most professional athletes have a agent, manager,accountant,wife,kids,mother or grandmother or father they are taking care of and $100,000 grand won't cut it.Not hard to understand at all.
How much money are you giving these people every year? I also find it hard to understand. The 100k is just interest, doesn't even account for all the money you actually have plus future earnings that you can use for anything mentioned above without investing millions in something you have no clue about.
__________________
What the... That's it! Einhorn is Finkle! Finkle is Einhorn! Einhorn is a man!
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #44
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,138
Re: Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
How much money are you giving these people every year? I also find it hard to understand. The 100k is just interest, doesn't even account for all the money you actually have plus future earnings that you can use for anything mentioned above without investing millions in something you have no clue about.
You're the one that threw out the $100,000 in post #38.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #45
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,138
Re: Clinton Portis, great human being, contemplated murder after NFL Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Are you trying to tell me 70% of Earth's population aren't idiots? Because I sure as hell ain't buying that one.

Not what it says ,so keep up.


All anyone is saying is that it's easier than you think to lose your money and even very smart educated people have lost it all. These people lost lots of money and all thought they were doing the right thing.


Madoff's Victim List - The Wall Street Journal



The people that had their money here are so thought they had done the right thing......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankru...ehman_Brothers
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.05595 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25