Warpath  

Home | Forums | Shop | Donate




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #751
My Wife Likes Alex
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Posts: 10,904
Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
IMO people are reading waaaay too much into JG's comments. He knows KC is his guy and if KC leaves next year will be another losing season and his final year as Skins head coach.
Agree with this. These are grown men. They can handle their coach giving an honest assessment of their performance in the media.

Why would Kirk think that going to Denver, or somewhere else, would be any different?

He's a big boy. Gruden's comments won't factor into his decision. If he leaves, it will be because he just wanted something different.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 01-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #752
Playmaker
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 4,526
Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Agree with this. These are grown men. They can handle their coach giving an honest assessment of their performance in the media.

Why would Kirk think that going to Denver, or somewhere else, would be any different?

He's a big boy. Gruden's comments won't factor into his decision. If he leaves, it will be because he just wanted something different.
For that to be true, we would need to assume that Smithers will make Kirk a competitive offer. He hasn't even made Kirk a respectable offer up to now, so I don't believe that Kirk will get a competitive offer from the Skins.

That leaves the Skins with only one option if they want to keep Kirk; that is, the extremely well-paid involuntary servitude of the Franchise Tag. The Transition Tag would be useless to the Skins because they won't match any offer that is at a top of the market price.

They might as well just let him walk now. Make a clean break with Kirk and draw up other plans.
KI Skins Fan is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #753
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester, Ny
Posts: 22,770
Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
For that to be true, we would need to assume that Smithers will make Kirk a competitive offer. He hasn't even made Kirk a respectable offer up to now, so I don't believe that Kirk will get a competitive offer from the Skins.

That leaves the Skins with only one option if they want to keep Kirk; that is, the extremely well-paid involuntary servitude of the Franchise Tag. The Transition Tag would be useless to the Skins because they won't match any offer that is at a top of the market price.

They might as well just let him walk now. Make a clean break with Kirk and draw up other plans.

I think $20M offer last season was good. Now after this yr, yeah it'll have to be 25 at least
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #754
My Wife Likes Alex
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Posts: 10,904
Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
For that to be true, we would need to assume that Smithers will make Kirk a competitive offer. He hasn't even made Kirk a respectable offer up to now, so I don't believe that Kirk will get a competitive offer from the Skins.

That leaves the Skins with only one option if they want to keep Kirk; that is, the extremely well-paid involuntary servitude of the Franchise Tag. The Transition Tag would be useless to the Skins because they won't match any offer that is at a top of the market price.

They might as well just let him walk now. Make a clean break with Kirk and draw up other plans.
They will make what they consider to be a competitive offer. Not one necessarily commensurate with his leverage, but one commensurate with his ability and place within the hierarchy of QBs in the league.

And then he'll have to compare it against other offers he gets.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #755
Playmaker
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 4,526
Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I think $20M offer last season was good. Now after this yr, yeah it'll have to be 25 at least
We've gone over why the $20M wasn't a good one many times on this site. Things such as the paltry guaranteed money the Skins offered, the failure of Skins management to accept that Kirk had already signed the Franchise Tag agreement and, as a result of that, the $24M he already had for 2017 was off the table, etc., etc.
KI Skins Fan is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #756
My Wife Likes Alex
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Posts: 10,904
Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
We've gone over why the $20M wasn't a good one many times on this site. Things such as the paltry guaranteed money the Skins offered, the failure of Skins management to accept that Kirk had already signed the Franchise Tag agreement and, as a result of that, the $24M he already had for 2017 was off the table, etc., etc.
What's your point?
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #757
The Starter
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,351
Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Agree with this. These are grown men. They can handle their coach giving an honest assessment of their performance in the media.

Why would Kirk think that going to Denver, or somewhere else, would be any different?

He's a big boy. Gruden's comments won't factor into his decision. If he leaves, it will be because he just wanted something different.
I don't think Gruden's comments could factor into Kirk's decision at all.

But I do feel like this is not a sign of Jay knowing anything promising about the Skins being ready to make a push to sign Kirk.

Maybe I'm reading too much though, let's hope so.

But "Kirk is a very good QB, it's been a tough season and we've seen what he's capable of with a lot of injuries around him and not a lot of help from the running game. He's had some ups and downs but overall I think he's had a solid year" would have also been an honest assessment of his performance...
__________________
Is there another french fan of the Redskins?
FrenchSkin is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #758
My Wife Likes Alex
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Posts: 10,904
Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I don't think Gruden's comments could factor into Kirk's decision at all.

But I do feel like this is not a sign of Jay knowing anything promising about the Skins being ready to make a push to sign Kirk.

Maybe I'm reading too much though, let's hope so.

But "Kirk is a very good QB, it's been a tough season and we've seen what he's capable of with a lot of injuries around him and not a lot of help from the running game. He's had some ups and downs but overall I think he's had a solid year" would have also been an honest assessment of his performance...
Yeah you're reading too much into it. Jay doesn't get to make the decision, Bruce does.

Jay has already told Bruce that he likes Cousins. Doesn't mean Bruce is going to make a $30M offer.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 12:20 PM   #759
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,935
Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Yeah you're reading too much into it. Jay doesn't get to make the decision, Bruce does.

Jay has already told Bruce that he likes Cousins. Doesn't mean Bruce is going to make a $30M offer.
Bruce isn't making this decision, Snyder is.
irish is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #760
My Wife Likes Alex
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Posts: 10,904
Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Bruce isn't making this decision, Snyder is.
You're right.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #761
The Starter
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,351
Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Yeah you're reading too much into it. Jay doesn't get to make the decision, Bruce does.

Jay has already told Bruce that he likes Cousins. Doesn't mean Bruce is going to make a $30M offer.
But has a HC doesn't he get to know a little bit of what's the plan?
(Legit question, not a rethorical one).

Again, hope I'm wrong but this was just the start of me stopping to fight so hard to keep faith.

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk
__________________
Is there another french fan of the Redskins?
FrenchSkin is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #762
Special Teams
 
hutch17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 226
Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

I keep seeing a reference to something Cooley heard behind closed doors or a theory of his based on Jay's comments. Could someone enlighten me as to this, I can't find it anywhere.
hutch17 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #763
Playmaker
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 4,526
Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
What's your point?
My point is that I don't think the last offer to Kirk by the Skins was a good one because it had no chance of being accepted based on the knowledge the Skins acquired in past negotiations with Kirk's agent.

If they want to franchise him, they should just do it. If they don't want him, they should just let him sign elsewhere. The only purpose I can see to making him an offer that they know he won't accept is to mollify the ticket holders, as in "We tried".

p.s. My thoughts on this are based on my low regard for how the FO has handled this up to now. I don't foresee the FO suddenly making a competitive offer for his services. If they're not able to read the marketplace, or they are in their own fantasy world about what it will take to sign him, or they just want to look good to the ticket holders, or they just don't give a damn whether he signs or not, then they are just wasting their time preparing an offer.

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 01-04-2018 at 01:28 PM.
KI Skins Fan is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #764
My Wife Likes Alex
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Posts: 10,904
Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
My point is that I don't think the last offer to Kirk by the Skins was a good one because it had no chance of being accepted based on the knowledge the Skins acquired in past negotiations with Kirk's agent.

If they want to franchise him, they should just do it. If they don't want him, they should just let him sign elsewhere. The only purpose I can see to making him an offer that they know he won't accept is to mollify the ticket holders, as in "We tried".
Don't agree. They should make the highest offer they feel comfortable making. If he's not interested, then he leaves. That's business.

Franchise tag should be off the table. $34M for one season, only to be back in this same predicament next year, makes no sense.

He's shown that he'll just sign it immediately and then shut down negotiations until he's through playing under it. Once you tag him, he won't negotiate with you.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #765
My Wife Likes Alex
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Posts: 10,904
Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch17 View Post
I keep seeing a reference to something Cooley heard behind closed doors or a theory of his based on Jay's comments. Could someone enlighten me as to this, I can't find it anywhere.
This?

https://247sports.com/nfl/washington...-now-113205569
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.16416 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25