Warpath  

Home | Forums | Shop | Donate




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #256
MVP
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Posts: 11,599
ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaRedskins View Post
If Doctson shows up this year, does Smith get any credit?


He will from the Cousins haters. The rest will say he finally came into his own. Personally I donít give a crap what the reason is as long as he shows up and it helps us win more games.
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #257
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester, Ny
Posts: 22,809
Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #258
My Wife Likes Alex
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Posts: 10,920
Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Do they show a passer rating chart like this for times when the QB is 'under pressure'? That to me would be the real indicator of when a QB is earning his money.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #259
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester, Ny
Posts: 22,809
Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Do they show a passer rating chart like this for times when the QB is 'under pressure'? That to me would be the real indicator of when a QB is earning his money.
Yes

__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #260
Living Legend
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Posts: 16,125
Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

The graphics don't line up?

AS Clean pocket in the second picture is 107.1, in the first his is 115.3

KC in the 2nd has a clean pocket of 111.6 but isn't in the top 10 of the first list?

Was the first one from 2017 or any idea why the discrepancy?
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #261
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester, Ny
Posts: 22,809
Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The graphics don't line up?

AS Clean pocket in the second picture is 107.1, in the first his is 115.3

KC in the 2nd has a clean pocket of 111.6 but isn't in the top 10 of the first list?

Was the first one from 2017 or any idea why the discrepancy?
Yes u are right, the 2nd was from 2017 just caught that. I'll try and find one for 2018
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #262
My Wife Likes Alex
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Posts: 10,920
Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

For the analytically challenged among us, the chart is sorted based on the differential between a player's passer rating when not under pressure and his passer rating when under pressure.

That doesn't answer my question but you can still use it. The darker the green in the second to last column, the better the player is under pressure.

Passer rating under pressure looks exactly as you'd expect it would:

1) Aaron Rodgers 105.0
2) Russell Wilson 103.0
3) Tyrod Taylor 99.4
4) Tom Brady 99.0
5) Ben Roethlisberger 97.4

Gotta go a long way down to find Alex Smith, with a rating of 77.6, and Cousins with 82.7.

But the key to keep in mind is PFF still uses passer rating, instead of ESPN's proprietary QBR. QBR takes into account yards gained on the ground and whether they converted to first downs or not. These passer rating stats do not.

As we know, Smith is among the league leaders in those stats. So this data from PFF should be interpreted as rating when the QB throws the ball while under pressure.

If you take into account first downs gained via scramble, Alex Smith would vault up the list.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #263
My Wife Likes Alex
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Posts: 10,920
Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The graphics don't line up?

AS Clean pocket in the second picture is 107.1, in the first his is 115.3

KC in the 2nd has a clean pocket of 111.6 but isn't in the top 10 of the first list?

Was the first one from 2017 or any idea why the discrepancy?
Good catch. Smith will no doubt look better in the 2017 stats.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #264
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester, Ny
Posts: 22,809
Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
For the analytically challenged among us, the chart is sorted based on the differential between a player's passer rating when not under pressure and his passer rating when under pressure.

That doesn't answer my question but you can still use it. The darker the green in the second to last column, the better the player is under pressure.

Passer rating under pressure looks exactly as you'd expect it would:

1) Aaron Rodgers 105.0
2) Russell Wilson 103.0
3) Tyrod Taylor 99.4
4) Tom Brady 99.0
5) Ben Roethlisberger 97.4

Gotta go a long way down to find Alex Smith, with a rating of 77.6, and Cousins with 82.7.

But the key to keep in mind is PFF still uses passer rating, instead of ESPN's proprietary QBR. QBR takes into account yards gained on the ground and whether they converted to first downs or not. These passer rating stats do not.

As we know, Smith is among the league leaders in those stats. So this data from PFF should be interpreted as rating when the QB throws the ball while under pressure.

If you take into account first downs gained via scramble, Alex Smith would vault up the list.
Smith was one of the best on 3rd down last yr and has been for a while now, we will def benefit from having him back there. Although Kirk ranked in the top 5 of deep pass attempts on 3&10 or less, he didn't connect on them often.

Last season nobody faced more pressure more than RW, and he was insanely good. I've been given the task of gathering stats for College QB's coming into this yr, pretty cool stuff.
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #265
Pro Bowl
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 5,024
Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

As a Cousins hater, I take this to mean Cousins was a big stupid do-do head.

Go Alex!!

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/6/12/...er-been-around
__________________
What the... That's it! Einhorn is Finkle! Finkle is Einhorn! Einhorn is a man!
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #266
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester, Ny
Posts: 22,809
Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

Jay on Alex

"We are not here to build a team around Alex, the team is already built and he has to lead it. The urgency to win now is there"
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #267
The Starter
 
metalskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,204
Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
As a Cousins hater, I take this to mean Cousins was a big stupid do-do head.

Go Alex!!

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/6/12/...er-been-around
ROTFL!!!! "do-do head"
__________________
Reserved for a witty signature.
metalskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:42 AM   #268
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester, Ny
Posts: 22,809
Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.




Jay on AS
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #269
Camp Scrub
 
kcVisitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 7
Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Smith was one of the best on 3rd down last yr and has been for a while now
This is absolutely, unquestionably incorrect. Alex Smith is NOT a good QB on 3rd down, and never has been. He ranked 22nd in the NFL last year. 22nd isnt "one of the best" in my eyes.

stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=098&type=&year=

He is the king of completing a 4 yard dump off pass when you need 7 yards. It is one of the many things that drove me nuts about him the past 5 years. His completion percentage on 3rd down often looks great, but his conversion rate is almost always pathetic.
kcVisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #270
Camp Scrub
 
Number44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21
Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcVisitor View Post
This is absolutely, unquestionably incorrect. Alex Smith is NOT a good QB on 3rd down, and never has been. He ranked 22nd in the NFL last year. 22nd isnt "one of the best" in my eyes.

stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=098&type=&year=

He is the king of completing a 4 yard dump off pass when you need 7 yards. It is one of the many things that drove me nuts about him the past 5 years. His completion percentage on 3rd down often looks great, but his conversion rate is almost always pathetic.
So the receivers ran their routes far enough and Smith refused to throw the ball to them unless they came back a few yards?
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.11413 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25