Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2005, 01:51 PM   #31
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Re: Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee
Tim Hasselbeck is a hell of a nice guy, who is pretty bright. he also has a below average arm, both strength and accuracy-wise. During his brief period of starts here thanks to injuries, he completed 53.7% of his passes, and had a QB rating of 63.6. That's not something to build on. He's also 27 years old - that's by no means an old man, but it falls awkwardly between young gun and wily veteran.
i see; thought he was younger. well, on the bright side, Brunell no longer has an excuse to STAY.

Coach Williams certainly has is work cut out for him this season, he already made miracles last year with little, now he has even less to work with. Wish we could have helped him out more in this year's draft (god knows it's the least he deserves) and i hope both our coaches are still HERE when Campbell finally has a chance to make a difference.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #32
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,919
Re: Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

I've also noticed that in all of the preseason prognostications there is no mention of Barrow being healthy (according to doctors) and how there should be minimal if any dropoff at MLB if he is able to play.. I honestly think these things are typed in May and they just post them throughout the summer..
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #33
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Re: Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee
To say that 2005 is Ramsey's year, despite no history of success (and I'm a huge Ramsey fan) and not be prepared to be wrong would be grossly irresponsible. Brunell will be gone next year, which gives you a choice of Ramsey (whether he's successful or not), a free agent (who will have to adjust to a new offense), or a rookie (who will need to learn not only the offense, but adjust to the speed of the league) - unless you draft a player to learn for a year. The cost was high, true, but if Ramsey can't make the leap this year, what is the alternative?
yup, the more scenarios we hear, the less faith we see Gibbs has in Ramsey. 2nd or 3rd round is being prudent. 1st round over major needs is being straight doubtful.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:04 PM   #34
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Re: Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain
I've also noticed that in all of the preseason prognostications there is no mention of Barrow being healthy (according to doctors) and how there should be minimal if any dropoff at MLB if he is able to play.. I honestly think these things are typed in May and they just post them throughout the summer..
just can't deny Barrow's age. it's already proven in his slow healing - that's why he's been totally written off. sigh.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:09 PM   #35
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

Despite the fact Gibbs has named Ramsey the starter for the 05 season is "not" a true indication of the fact he has the utmost confidence in him. He was almost forced to remove Brunell from the starting lineup because the team was off to such a poor start. We must remember that Ramsey was here when Gibbs arrived, was not a QB of his choosing. If Brunell is not going to be here after the 05 season, and no one knows just how the future is going to pan out for Ramsey, within a two year period of time we could verey easily be down to Campbell which in all probability has figured into the thinking when we drafted Cambbell. We have no idea what or where Ramsey will be in the next two years, so it's not wise to assume he will be here regardless of what kind of season he has. To some of us dismay, it's difficult to get a true guage on the future of the QB situation until different senerioes play themselves out. However for the short term, and with what we have, the success of the team this year and beyond will boil down to the play of our QB's and the offensive line. I'm hoping that whoever is the QB we will have success, and win games. When we do that I think much of the skepticism surrounding the various elements of the team will subside.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:20 PM   #36
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,672
Re: Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

I really like Ramsey and think he can really shine in this league. And I know a lot of us complain about Gibbs not giving Ramsey a fair shake. But he does see Ramsey a lot more than we do, and he sees Campbell.

So maybe he is seeing something that we don't see. Maybe Campbell will ultimately prove to be the better choice longterm. Only time will tell.

By the way, my brother said he saw Campbell and Carlos Rogers the other day. I can't remember where. Says Campbell is a monster, and really ripped. He just towers over Rogers.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:28 PM   #37
The Starter
 
Riggo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Clemente CA
Age: 40
Posts: 2,389
Re: Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
Here's someone on our side
It's about time.
__________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Riggo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #38
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan
Despite the fact Gibbs has named Ramsey the starter for the 05 season is "not" a true indication of the fact he has the utmost confidence in him. He was almost forced to remove Brunell from the starting lineup because the team was off to such a poor start. We must remember that Ramsey was here when Gibbs arrived, was not a QB of his choosing. If Brunell is not going to be here after the 05 season, and no one knows just how the future is going to pan out for Ramsey, within a two year period of time we could verey easily be down to Campbell which in all probability has figured into the thinking when we drafted Cambbell. We have no idea what or where Ramsey will be in the next two years, so it's not wise to assume he will be here regardless of what kind of season he has. To some of us dismay, it's difficult to get a true guage on the future of the QB situation until different senerioes play themselves out. However for the short term, and with what we have, the success of the team this year and beyond will boil down to the play of our QB's and the offensive line. I'm hoping that whoever is the QB we will have success, and win games. When we do that I think much of the skepticism surrounding the various elements of the team will subside.
I agree with you on all points but your statement that( we have no idea what or where Ramsey will be in the next two years, so its not wise to assume he will be here regardless of what kind of season he has). If Ramsey has a good season he will be here for the next two seasons. Why would he not be here if he is playing good? I doubt Gibbs will get rid of Ramsey in the next two years and replace him with Campbell if hes playing good. That just would not make any sense at all, unless i misunderstood what you were saying.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:43 PM   #39
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Re: Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
I really like Ramsey and think he can really shine in this league. And I know a lot of us complain about Gibbs not giving Ramsey a fair shake. But he does see Ramsey a lot more than we do, and he sees Campbell.

So maybe he is seeing something that we don't see. Maybe Campbell will ultimately prove to be the better choice longterm. Only time will tell.
yeah, but that's exactly how my unquestioning faith in The Gibbs got it's first-ever question: What Did He See In Brunell (before the season AND then during)?

and until the Skins put up more Ws, we can NOT expect or demand ANY positive forecasts or write up on the Redskins. not only do we have to accept our post Snyder rep but embrace it. and the team needs to use it. the Skins are the NFC east underdogs with absolutely everything to prove. (and to the biggest, most passionate fanbase in the league)
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:53 PM   #40
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,301
Re: Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

Many posts since my last one.

You make a good point when you say that the amount we gave up to get Campbell is an indication that Ramsey's days are numbered. But I don't think that is necessarily a knock on Ramsey, I think it's more of a vote of confidence for Campbell.

Gibbs thought highly enough of the young man to give up several draft picks. But despite thinking that highly of him, he still names Ramsey as the starter. Gibbs may like Campbell's chances to lead the team in the long term a lot better than he likes Ramsey's, so in that respect you're right. But for this season, which is all I'm saying, this season Ramsey is the starter.

The argument against the Chargers doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Sure, their payroll has $10 million budgeted towards a couple QBs. Is that a misallocation of resources? Yeah, maybe. But they were friggin 12-4. And that's the bottom line.

I'll gladly pay 2 QBs a lot of money if it means we're back in contention.

Also, Gibbs may not share your view that the team had more pressing needs. Many argue that WR was a big need and DE was a big need, and we had all these needs. It seems to me that Gibbs didn't think so. Maybe he's wrong, who knows. It's certainly fine to question the logic. But if the team performs well this year despite these "holes" in the roster, people should be prepared to change their tune.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:16 PM   #41
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,919
Re: Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
Many posts since my last one.

You make a good point when you say that the amount we gave up to get Campbell is an indication that Ramsey's days are numbered. But I don't think that is necessarily a knock on Ramsey, I think it's more of a vote of confidence for Campbell.

Gibbs thought highly enough of the young man to give up several draft picks. But despite thinking that highly of him, he still names Ramsey as the starter. Gibbs may like Campbell's chances to lead the team in the long term a lot better than he likes Ramsey's, so in that respect you're right. But for this season, which is all I'm saying, this season Ramsey is the starter.

The argument against the Chargers doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Sure, their payroll has $10 million budgeted towards a couple QBs. Is that a misallocation of resources? Yeah, maybe. But they were friggin 12-4. And that's the bottom line.

I'll gladly pay 2 QBs a lot of money if it means we're back in contention.

Also, Gibbs may not share your view that the team had more pressing needs. Many argue that WR was a big need and DE was a big need, and we had all these needs. It seems to me that Gibbs didn't think so. Maybe he's wrong, who knows. It's certainly fine to question the logic. But if the team performs well this year despite these "holes" in the roster, people should be prepared to change their tune.
Not to be contrary simply to be contrary, but.. The logic of 'he just thought highly enough of him' argument doesn't make sense in the NFL today.. If you are confident that the QB you have is your QB of the present and near future, why give up 3 picks to draft another one? With the cap and roster limits (which were not a consideration the first time around) you don't go and strengthen a position where you already have your guy.

The Chargers correleation was if they were convinced that Brees was the guy (like if Gibbs were convinced that Ramsey was the guy) they wouldn't have drafted Rivers (and the Redskins wouldn't have drafted Campbell). Yes their record was great last year, but now they have a large amount of their cap allocated to one position. I'm sure they are happy with their record but if they knew the light would come on for Brees they would have gone another direction with that pick rather than essentially waste it. Rivers barely played last year and will likely barely play this year so they have a player they are paying #5 overall QB money to who is stuck behind a 28 yr old Pro Bowler.. If the light comes on for Ramsey, they have spent 3 picks on a player who won't see the field until mid next season at the earliest. The bad thing about the pick is it only works out if Ramsey falters. You can't cut/trade a 27 yr old performing QB for a rookie just because you drafted his replacement.
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:39 PM   #42
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

Hi guys,

Only my 5th or 6th post, so I'm still green here. But I agree with one of the earlier comments that picking Campbell was an indictment on Brunell not Ramsey. Ramsey, as we all know, has some wonderful tools. But to his defense, he's been in a couple of different systems so far. I think the big thing working in his favor this year is continuity of coaches and schemes.

I think the team will benefit this year from the "Piereces" that are still here. A la Khary Campbell, Joe Salave (sp), and Ron Warner. In my opinion these role players will emerge as bonifide Redskins of the future and add a lot to the team this year!!
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:47 PM   #43
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

Firstdown I would like to clarify to some degree exactly what I meant when I said we cannot be sure of what or where Ramsey will be in the next two years. I am not throughly convinced of the fact that even if Ramsey is playing good it's not a matter of whether Gibbs will get rid of him as opposed as to whether he will want to stay here. I need to be convinced that the drafting of Campbell was not for any other reason than to play, and to play for the Redskins. I can't get out of my mind how Ramsey reacted last year when Brunell was brought in to compete with him for the starting QB job. Based on that reaction alone I'm left to wonder just what his intentions "might" be in the not so distant future. It could be that he will once again not welcome the competition (which will always be) and express the desire to move on. This may not be the case, but we must understand that somewhere in the future there has to be a place for Campbell.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:36 AM   #44
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,301
Re: Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain
Not to be contrary simply to be contrary, but.. The logic of 'he just thought highly enough of him' argument doesn't make sense in the NFL today.. If you are confident that the QB you have is your QB of the present and near future, why give up 3 picks to draft another one? With the cap and roster limits (which were not a consideration the first time around) you don't go and strengthen a position where you already have your guy.

The Chargers correleation was if they were convinced that Brees was the guy (like if Gibbs were convinced that Ramsey was the guy) they wouldn't have drafted Rivers (and the Redskins wouldn't have drafted Campbell). Yes their record was great last year, but now they have a large amount of their cap allocated to one position. I'm sure they are happy with their record but if they knew the light would come on for Brees they would have gone another direction with that pick rather than essentially waste it. Rivers barely played last year and will likely barely play this year so they have a player they are paying #5 overall QB money to who is stuck behind a 28 yr old Pro Bowler.. If the light comes on for Ramsey, they have spent 3 picks on a player who won't see the field until mid next season at the earliest. The bad thing about the pick is it only works out if Ramsey falters. You can't cut/trade a 27 yr old performing QB for a rookie just because you drafted his replacement.
On the Chargers, theirs was a very unique situation because they held the #1 overall pick. True, at that point Brees hadn't shown that he was ready to be considered the franchise QB, and hence the Chargers considered a QB with their first overall pick. They didn't have much faith in Brees, which is exactly why they were ready to hand Eli Manning a first overall pick's contract. That of course didn't work out because Eli didn't want to be a Charger, but if the Chargers had their druthers, Manning would be in San Diego, and the Chargers would have laid down a huge signing bonus.

We all love to point to the draft picks that Gibbs gave up to get Campbell, but we all seem to forget that since Campbell was taken late in the first round, he'll be making chump change. When Ramsey was taken with pick 32, that netted him a contract of less than $1.2 million per year. Figure some inflation on Campbell, and we're talking less than $2 million a year on our salary cap for the next 5 years or so. So yes, Gibbs gave up a lot in the way of draft picks, but I still say the investment was much less than what the Chargers wanted to invest in Manning, or what they ended up investing in Rivers for that matter.

The Chargers situation is much different from ours. We gave up a shot at some players next year by trading the 1st and 4th round picks, which is a lot, that's for sure. But it's not as big a deal as the Chargers' situation. They have two QBs who are going to be making a ton of money. Once we get Brunell off the books, we're going to have two who aren't making much at all. (Unless Ramsey explodes, he'll get a modest contract two years from now or he'll leave). That leaves us with more cap room for other things, which helps us deal with the loss of the draft picks.

I don't think you can point to the drafting of a 2nd QB and automatically say it is a misallocation of resources unless you consider the finances. When the salary is that low, there is no pressure to bring Campbell along that quickly. You can let Ramsey keep his starting job and let Campbell learn, because your QBs aren't monopolizing your cap space.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #45
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,919
Re: Sportsline.com/Judge giving us no love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
On the Chargers, theirs was a very unique situation because they held the #1 overall pick. True, at that point Brees hadn't shown that he was ready to be considered the franchise QB, and hence the Chargers considered a QB with their first overall pick. They didn't have much faith in Brees, which is exactly why they were ready to hand Eli Manning a first overall pick's contract. That of course didn't work out because Eli didn't want to be a Charger, but if the Chargers had their druthers, Manning would be in San Diego, and the Chargers would have laid down a huge signing bonus.

We all love to point to the draft picks that Gibbs gave up to get Campbell, but we all seem to forget that since Campbell was taken late in the first round, he'll be making chump change. When Ramsey was taken with pick 32, that netted him a contract of less than $1.2 million per year. Figure some inflation on Campbell, and we're talking less than $2 million a year on our salary cap for the next 5 years or so. So yes, Gibbs gave up a lot in the way of draft picks, but I still say the investment was much less than what the Chargers wanted to invest in Manning, or what they ended up investing in Rivers for that matter.

The Chargers situation is much different from ours. We gave up a shot at some players next year by trading the 1st and 4th round picks, which is a lot, that's for sure. But it's not as big a deal as the Chargers' situation. They have two QBs who are going to be making a ton of money. Once we get Brunell off the books, we're going to have two who aren't making much at all. (Unless Ramsey explodes, he'll get a modest contract two years from now or he'll leave). That leaves us with more cap room for other things, which helps us deal with the loss of the draft picks.

I don't think you can point to the drafting of a 2nd QB and automatically say it is a misallocation of resources unless you consider the finances. When the salary is that low, there is no pressure to bring Campbell along that quickly. You can let Ramsey keep his starting job and let Campbell learn, because your QBs aren't monopolizing your cap space.
I agree on most of your post, my point wasn't a dollar for dollar comparison, it was just comparing situations of having a young QB and then having to draft another young QB and the potential costs (in dollars for the Chargers and picks for the Redskins) if the original QB performs..
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.39032 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25