Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


(Merged Thread) Greg Williams Gone After 2005?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2005, 11:03 AM   #46
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,626
Re: (Merged Thread) Greg Williams Gone After 2005?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
My gut says he stays one more year to see if he can finish what he started here.
While we understand GWs importance to the teams success I'm not sure the average fan does and any success this team does have this year will be credited to Gibbs with GW and Bugel getting mentions as helping out. So I think most people see everything realted to this team as what Gibbs started not what GW started for the simple reason Gibbs is head coach.

GW is from MO and if either of those teams offers him the head coach job he will take it to go back home.
irish is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-21-2005, 11:04 AM   #47
Special Teams
 
amorentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 34
Posts: 368
Re: (Merged Thread) Greg Williams Gone After 2005?

Here is what I would like to see, and I cant think of any reason why it would be against league policies.

Snyder should sign Williams to a contract paying head coach money (lord knows he can afford it, and it has no cap effect) that explicitly states that Williams will immediately become head coach upon Gibbs' retirement (cant be more than 5 or so years down the line).

That way Williams gets to keep learning under a hall of fame coach, keep putting together his team (with an owner who will spend the money), and take over a team that is in great shape that he has 3-5 years of his fingerprints on.

Why would any party to this agreement (Williams, Snyder or Gibbs) NOT want to do this?
amorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:08 AM   #48
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,726
Re: (Merged Thread) Greg Williams Gone After 2005?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorentz
Here is what I would like to see, and I cant think of any reason why it would be against league policies.

Snyder should sign Williams to a contract paying head coach money (lord knows he can afford it, and it has no cap effect) that explicitly states that Williams will immediately become head coach upon Gibbs' retirement (cant be more than 5 or so years down the line).

That way Williams gets to keep learning under a hall of fame coach, keep putting together his team (with an owner who will spend the money), and take over a team that is in great shape that he has 3-5 years of his fingerprints on.

Why would any party to this agreement (Williams, Snyder or Gibbs) NOT want to do this?
He's already being paid HC type money. Not sure what the #'s are exactly, but the word is he's very well compensated here.

As far as an agreement to take over for Gibbs that's fine and dandy, but you can't realistically expect Williams to wait another 3 years.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:09 AM   #49
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,726
Re: (Merged Thread) Greg Williams Gone After 2005?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
While we understand GWs importance to the teams success I'm not sure the average fan does and any success this team does have this year will be credited to Gibbs with GW and Bugel getting mentions as helping out. So I think most people see everything realted to this team as what Gibbs started not what GW started for the simple reason Gibbs is head coach.

GW is from MO and if either of those teams offers him the head coach job he will take it to go back home.
Like I said, just a gut feeling.

I don't think any of us know what's going to happen, only GW knows and right now I'm sure he's focused on the task at hand.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #50
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: (Merged Thread) Greg Williams Gone After 2005?

I think he stays for one more. After that all bets are off.

I would like to see Blache and Lindsay stay if he left, however.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #51
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,220
Re: (Merged Thread) Greg Williams Gone After 2005?

Yeah, Matty. He's paid more than a majority of the head coaches in the league. There's going to be a point (probably in the very near future) where the organization has to decide if it's going to keep going with Gibbs or if it will hand the reins to Williams or watch him walk. No person wants to bea coordinator when the glory jobs are out there. There will be lots of teams, even some with some talent (Detroits defense could be pretty nasty under a Williams defense and a couple changes) that he could take over.

I bet he's gone after this year.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:20 AM   #52
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,726
Re: (Merged Thread) Greg Williams Gone After 2005?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan
I think he stays for one more. After that all bets are off.

I would like to see Blache and Lindsay stay if he left, however.
Blache would be the logical successor to Williams and a very fine one at that... as long as GW doesn't steal him away that is. But like the Wise article in the WP said, GW probably wouldn't do that to Gibbs. But then again, it is a business so who knows.

Blache will likely be a HC in this league someday too.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:23 AM   #53
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 7,499
Re: (Merged Thread) Greg Williams Gone After 2005?

Alot of this could depend on if we make the playoffs, and how far into the playoffs we go. If we can get to the Divisional or conference championship rounds, alot of vacancies could be filled by then. That was a big reason Charlie Wies and Romeo Cronell had to wait so long to get head coaching jobs.
__________________
#21
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #54
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,524
Re: (Merged Thread) Greg Williams Gone After 2005?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Yeah, Matty. He's paid more than a majority of the head coaches in the league. There's going to be a point (probably in the very near future) where the organization has to decide if it's going to keep going with Gibbs or if it will hand the reins to Williams or watch him walk. No person wants to bea coordinator when the glory jobs are out there. There will be lots of teams, even some with some talent (Detroits defense could be pretty nasty under a Williams defense and a couple changes) that he could take over.

I bet he's gone after this year.
I have a feeling the organization won't be making the decision on when Gibbs leaves his head coaching post, and would not boot 'em out for the sake of keeping GW.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #55
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
Re: Greg Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLNetwork
Do you guys think Greg Williams is going to leave after this year? A lot of people say he is, please tell me no!!
For the answer to your question, please use the little gray scrollbar to your right and scroll on up to read the entire damn thread.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:15 PM   #56
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,726
Re: Greg Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig
For the answer to your question, please use the little gray scrollbar to your right and scroll on up to read the entire damn thread.
His post was a new thread that was merged into this one.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:29 PM   #57
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,061
Re: (Merged Thread) Greg Williams Gone After 2005?

We win the Super bowl next season, Gibbs retires like Wyle E. Coyote (super-genius). GW takes the team. It has been pre-arranged and pre-ordained
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 05:06 PM   #58
F the Shannys

 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,881
Re: (Merged Thread) Greg Williams Gone After 2005?

I really hope GW stays next year.

Luckily we still have other things to worry about this year.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29005 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25