Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Should Brunell be replaced? (merged)

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2005, 05:48 PM   #61
The Starter
 
scowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: KY
Age: 45
Posts: 1,527
Re: Qb

Guys we really need Thrash back this week. I thought he made some great plays against Dallas in Week 2. As best I can remember Patten did nothing that game, it was Moss (of course) Thrash and Cooley. I would also like to see us run well. However Larry Johnson was a monster and the Chiefs still lost, so who knows what formula will work this week?
scowan is offline  

Advertisements
Old 12-12-2005, 06:00 PM   #62
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Re: Qb

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowan
Guys we really need Thrash back this week. I thought he made some great plays against Dallas in Week 2. As best I can remember Patten did nothing that game, it was Moss (of course) Thrash and Cooley. I would also like to see us run well. However Larry Johnson was a monster and the Chiefs still lost, so who knows what formula will work this week?
Thrash has been very clutch on 3rd downs the times he's played. he's the closest thing we have to a possession receiver who we can put at risk over the middle (i think Jacobs would just shatter). we definitely need him back for this last stretch.
__________________
a fan. not a cheerleader.
illdefined is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 06:31 PM   #63
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,789
Re: Qb

I have said it in another thread, and I'll say it in this one. I am sure that Brunell could risk some passes by throwing into double coverage and allowing Moss to go up and fight for the ball. That is not was Gibbs wants. Example given was why steve smith is having such a good year with no #2. Look at Delhomes ints. He has thrown almost triple the amount Brunell has thrown. And that is from iladvised passes trying to force the ball. Brunell is not going to do that, he is going to take the high percentage, dump it off and go to the next play. Also not put our defense in bad positions. Our offense is not geared to put big plays up, we grind it out, keep the others team offense on the sideline and our D fresh. I may not have worked out some games, but for the most part it is. I would bet we are in the top of the league in time of possession compared to our opponents. Coming into the Cards game Brunell had thrown 5 picks, count em 5, that was best in the NFL, now he has 8, after a bad game and that is still one of the tops in the league. this is what Brunell is told to do, dont' win the game, but dont lose the game either. Take the shots when they are there, but dont try and force something that isn't there either.
#56fanatic is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 06:52 PM   #64
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,083
Re: Qb

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic
I have said it in another thread, and I'll say it in this one. I am sure that Brunell could risk some passes by throwing into double coverage and allowing Moss to go up and fight for the ball. That is not was Gibbs wants. Example given was why steve smith is having such a good year with no #2. Look at Delhomes ints. He has thrown almost triple the amount Brunell has thrown. And that is from iladvised passes trying to force the ball. Brunell is not going to do that, he is going to take the high percentage, dump it off and go to the next play. Also not put our defense in bad positions. Our offense is not geared to put big plays up, we grind it out, keep the others team offense on the sideline and our D fresh. I may not have worked out some games, but for the most part it is. I would bet we are in the top of the league in time of possession compared to our opponents. Coming into the Cards game Brunell had thrown 5 picks, count em 5, that was best in the NFL, now he has 8, after a bad game and that is still one of the tops in the league. this is what Brunell is told to do, dont' win the game, but dont lose the game either. Take the shots when they are there, but dont try and force something that isn't there either.
It's not like Smith hasn't had several average games as well. But you're right, the mantra as I believe it should be is put the game in the hands of Portis and the D.

As for not trying to force it...

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/profoo...wb/wb/xp-43888
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 07:32 PM   #65
Impact Rookie
 
railcon56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 922
Re: Qb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstandTen
WOW u really hate it.
no we need to score points..no one would beat the skins if we could score 21+ points but 10 , 3, 17 wont win it
__________________
Run or Pass and Score ..We Want Alot More!!!!
railcon56 is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 07:57 PM   #66
Camp Scrub
 
NFLeurope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 85
Re: Qb

My honest opinion...is that we have the offensive weapons we need at receiver. I really think that with Moss, Taylor Jacobs, patten, and Thrash...we really could have a pretty good receiving corps. And the only conclusion i can come to is that the biggest problem stems from the guy trying to get them the ball. I posted Brunells' stats from the second half of this season. I dont know where those stats fall compared to other starters in the league. But they cant be very high. Everyone can make all the excuses they want...but at the end of the day all teams have to deal with adversity...and many have had to deal with much more adveristy than the skins (See Green Bay). They still need to find a way to get it done on offense.

I am not refuting what people are saying about Brunell just doing what he is asked to do. But i also believe that what Brunell is asked to do by the coaches is a function of what he is capable of doing. I really do believe deep down that if Patrick Ramsey were the starting QB we would have a much more wide open passing attack. As soon as he came in in the new york game for example...you know the one we got blown out in...he was immediately able to find some receivers downfield...ie Taylor Jacobs...whom Brunell hadnt found all game.

This is not to say that the skins would have a better chance of winning with Ramsey at the helm. I dont know that to be true. Cause while i believe Ramsey would open the offense alot more...i also believe that Brunell at this point probably is better at managing a game. And in general at avoiding costly turnovers etc...

But going forward here...into next year...and especially into the playoffs (keeping my fingers crossed)...i think it is gonna be neccessary for our skins to ask more of the QB than simply not losing the game for us. Against the better teams we are gonna need our QB to make plays (as Brunell was doing in the beginning of the year) in order to have a chance to win the big games.

Heres hoping Brunell (or whoever our QB is) can get it done!
NFLeurope is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 08:09 PM   #67
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Qb

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdefined
Thrash has been very clutch on 3rd downs the times he's played. he's the closest thing we have to a possession receiver who we can put at risk over the middle (i think Jacobs would just shatter). we definitely need him back for this last stretch.
LOL - I think you are right!
onlydarksets is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 10:17 PM   #68
The Starter
 
Riggo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Clemente CA
Age: 41
Posts: 2,389
Re: Qb

Replace? Why would you do such a god awful thing? If it isn't really broke, don't "try" fix it!
__________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Riggo44 is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #69
Special Teams
 
la73hof's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Naples, Florida
Age: 42
Posts: 420
Re: Should Brunell be replaced?

I think its a perfect time to give Jason Campbell his first start... :headbange
__________________
"I'll go on the record that i am a LA fan"--redsk1

Thanks!
la73hof is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #70
The Starter
 
SUNRA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,680
Re: Should Brunell be replaced?

I've made no bones about my support of Brunell as a QB even before he was a Redskin. I can also admit that the overrall perfomance of defense and offense has increased and decreased week after week. One week it's 21, 17, or 35 and we still loss. Why? Because of 1# injuries. When David Patten went down is when the offense began to lapse. He was successful at drawing the defensive pass interference call and illegal contact because of his speed. Taylor Jacobs is not evern close to making an impact for this team. Where is his great route running now? Brunell has to have maximum protection and enough targets to throw to. What I love about him is his ability to throw the soft touch passes and in the flat. He seems to struggle when a defensive linemen is in his face.

I think we play Antionio Brown at 2# this week and send him on the same pattern that Moss ran in Dallas. I guarantee you we score. It's about Brunell having options.
__________________
Redskins Member since 1970
SUNRA is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 11:24 PM   #71
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,523
Re: Should Brunell be replaced?

i really dont care how many points we score or who plays as long as we win
dmek25 is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 12:16 AM   #72
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Should Brunell be replaced?

Brunell definately has played much better this season than I expected. For the first half of the season he looked like an All-Pro stud. All of our passing attack's recent woes cannot be placed all on Brunell's shoulders. As many others have pointed out, he doesn't have many options to throw to.

But, the bottom line is our passing attack has been anything by good lately. I don't know how much of the blame should be placed at Brunell's feet, but there is definately cause for concern.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 09:27 AM   #73
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,789
Re: Qb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLeurope
My honest opinion...is that we have the offensive weapons we need at receiver. I really think that with Moss, Taylor Jacobs, patten, and Thrash...we really could have a pretty good receiving corps. And the only conclusion i can come to is that the biggest problem stems from the guy trying to get them the ball. I posted Brunells' stats from the second half of this season. I dont know where those stats fall compared to other starters in the league. But they cant be very high. Everyone can make all the excuses they want...but at the end of the day all teams have to deal with adversity...and many have had to deal with much more adveristy than the skins (See Green Bay). They still need to find a way to get it done on offense.

I am not refuting what people are saying about Brunell just doing what he is asked to do. But i also believe that what Brunell is asked to do by the coaches is a function of what he is capable of doing. I really do believe deep down that if Patrick Ramsey were the starting QB we would have a much more wide open passing attack. As soon as he came in in the new york game for example...you know the one we got blown out in...he was immediately able to find some receivers downfield...ie Taylor Jacobs...whom Brunell hadnt found all game.

This is not to say that the skins would have a better chance of winning with Ramsey at the helm. I dont know that to be true. Cause while i believe Ramsey would open the offense alot more...i also believe that Brunell at this point probably is better at managing a game. And in general at avoiding costly turnovers etc...

But going forward here...into next year...and especially into the playoffs (keeping my fingers crossed)...i think it is gonna be neccessary for our skins to ask more of the QB than simply not losing the game for us. Against the better teams we are gonna need our QB to make plays (as Brunell was doing in the beginning of the year) in order to have a chance to win the big games.

Heres hoping Brunell (or whoever our QB is) can get it done!
Dude, this is the answer to these crazy things you are saying. We have 3 games left, there is no coach in the galaxy that would replace a healthy QB, who is by the way on the verge of possible probowl numbers. This is the time of year where you CAN NOT beat yourself. Ramsey, while I like the kid and think he will be a good QB, is not ready to be put in that situation. He would force ball, and have turnovers. There is no doubt that he can put balls in places Brunell can't, however he WILL make bad throws that will cost us. Brunell does exactly what is in the game plan. His arm is stronger than it has been in the last couple of years, he is healthier than he has been in 5 years and it playing pretty damn good. We dont need to put up 45 points and throw the ball all over the place. If you can run the ball 30 to 35 times, gain around 200 yards on the ground that will 9 out of 10 times win the game. You dont get extra points or wins by throwing for 400 yards. A win is a win is a win! I dont care if we run the damn ball 50 times and throw once, as long as we win the game. I have been a redskin fan for 31 years and to be playing a meaningful game in December is something that I have been waiting for for almost 10 years. Relax, have a beer, and enjoy the game Saturday. Its going to be a knock down, drag out fight in the trenches. with a lot of running!!! and alot of Defense!
#56fanatic is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 09:33 AM   #74
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,743
Re: Should Brunell be replaced?

What I find amazing about this discussion is that reskins fans have been screaming about the state of flux the team has been in for quite some time and now that the team is in playoff contention and fairly stable wants to create more flux and instability at the most critical point of the season.

When/if the redskins are completely out of the playoffs then change QBs and give the rookie a look, until then leave well enough alone.
irish is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 09:36 AM   #75
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 84,610
Re: Should Brunell be replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
What I find amazing about this discussion is that reskins fans have been screaming about the state of flux the team has been in for quite some time and now that the team is in playoff contention and fairly stable wants to create more flux and instability at the most critical point of the season.

When/if the redskins are completely out of the playoffs then change QBs and give the rookie a look, until then leave well enough alone.
amen

I think our fan base is so shell shocked from the last 12 years they just can't stand the thought of some stability. What a novel concept.
Mattyk is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.37603 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25