Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


We must draft better...

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 01:04 PM   #31
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,553
Re: We must draft better...

LOL ok, call me in 5 years and we'll see where we stand.

Can't wait for the cap crash!

Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #32
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,851
Re: We must draft better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic
saw it. This is getting a bit out of hand. Skins are creating cap room by negotiating contract or renegotiating contracts, and turning roster bonuses and insentives into signing bonuses. When all this comes to fruition you will all see what I am talking about and everyone else is talking about. I am done with it. Its a never ending argument.
Believe it or not, most people who have been debating you have a clear understanding of the fact that the Skins have been manipulating the cap. Unlike you, they also understand that manipulating the cap in an intelligent fashion is a working business model under the current CBA that has allowed us to sign and retain good talent over the last 5 years.

And as for your several articles - They are about as incisive as a cold butter knife cutting icecubes. They are pretty much cap 101. Snyder & Co. have moved into advanced cap management - something you don't seem willing or are unable to do.

More importantly - Still waiting for the specifics of how the Skins manipulation fo the cap has actually hurt us in the past and who you expect to lose. You think doom is coming and yet, when caught by an unexpected cap hit, we absorb a 9M hit and move on without cutting anybody AND signing Moss, Patten, Rabach.

Spouting of vague predictions of doom without specifics is easy. Come on man, Lay it on the Line - Who we gonna lose and when? I'll make it easier for you - Name me 5 current "core" Redskins you think are endanger of being cut FOR CAP PURPOSES. If two of them are cut this offseason, I'll do a public apology in a new thread.

As for those articles that predict our eventual disaster - Well, if its in print, it MUST be true.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:00 PM   #33
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: We must draft better...

Man, all these numbers. Why not talk about something like if Rock runs for over 100 yards in his last game and Betts runs for 6 in his last game. Who will back up Portis Sunday against Dallas and why?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #34
Registered User
 
offiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: sparta, new jersey [ northern jersey ]
Age: 50
Posts: 3,097
Re: We must draft better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown
Man, all these numbers. Why not talk about something like if Rock runs for over 100 yards in his last game and Betts runs for 6 in his last game. Who will back up Portis Sunday against Dallas and why?

Betts will back up because he's the better back, how many yards did Rock have against the Cardinals? Betts didn't get many carries and got a big first down on 4th and short, Rock had a nice game against a lowsey Ram defense, I do like Rock but not ahead of Betts.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:55 PM   #35
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,365
Re: We must draft better...

56fanatic, you're preaching to the choir. I understand how player salaries are renegotiated into signing bonuses. What you're failing to see is that is a good thing, not a problem.

Every time we cut a Coles or Trotter and eat a big sum of dead money, there are a huge number of players we have at cap bargains. This year we're eating $9 million on Coles, but we also have players at these bargains:
Portis $2.4 million
Griffin $1.9 million
Springs $2.4 million
Brunell $2.4 million
Jansen $2.1 million
R Thomas $2.0 million
M Washington $1.7 million

Now you're right, we'll have to eat a big number on one or two of those guys sometime very soon. Brunell is the one that comes to mind. But we'll never reach "cap hell" because we'll have other players on our roster at big time bargains, just like we do now.

If you think it's cap hell to have to eat $9 million in dead money for a Coles deal, then I think you're overreacting. That's something that every team deals with. But if you're talking cap hell where we have to dismantle our team like the Titans did, you're just wrong.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:04 PM   #36
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,365
Re: We must draft better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic
saw it. This is getting a bit out of hand. Skins are creating cap room by negotiating contract or renegotiating contracts, and turning roster bonuses and insentives into signing bonuses. When all this comes to fruition you will all see what I am talking about and everyone else is talking about. I am done with it. Its a never ending argument.
The only reason this is a never ending argument is because you're failing to see the complete picture. Yes, renegotiating delays the cap hit. But you're not seeing how fast the salary cap is growing. You can afford to delay cap hits when the salary cap limit is expected to grow $7-$10 million from 2005 to 2006. It will then grow another $7-8 million from 2006 to 2007. You're not understanding that the salary cap limit changes.

That's why we never run into a cap hell. The delays from renegotiating are carefully budgeted into the expected growth in the salary cap limit. As long as your cap overhang is growing at the same rate or slower than the salary cap limit is growing, then you're in great shape. That's what Snyder has been doing for the last 5 years.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:07 PM   #37
Camp Scrub
 
Skinsfanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 76
Re: We must draft better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin
An interesting and informative analysis. Clearly, we haven't hit on all draft choices. But, before claiming that our lower round drafting is abysmal, how does the Skins draft record compare to other teams. Perhaps it is higher than all but a few teams. Maybe not. Just don't know. The draft is a crap shoot. Also, to be truly comparitive of DRAFTING ability, you have to take into account whether the players are still in the league (Smoot).
It's not better then the steelers
Skinsfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:09 PM   #38
Special Teams
 
heybigstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 30
Posts: 374
Re: We must draft better...

Question for you guys?

I know that we dont have our first rounder this year for J. Campbell. And maybe not our 4th or 2nd?

But after ths 2006 draft, will we have all our picks back for the 2007 draft> That way we can start building again...
__________________
Hail to the Redskins.
heybigstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:14 PM   #39
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,789
Re: We must draft better...

I just had to come back and see what you people had to say about me and my post regarding the cap. Of course I supply the articles that show how teams run into the problems they do. And of course, the Redskins are above all other 31 teams and have a magical cap that no one else understands and no one else in the league has figured out. I forgot that most of our stuff is done in fantasy land, what am I thinking? You wanted proof of where I get my info, I gave it to you and you say that its not worth anything, that absolutely cracks me up. This is from a CAPOLOGIST, who does this, who knows the cap. How you and everyone else can discredit a capologist is beyond me. Of course Vinney and Dannys minions are going to say what they say. You quoted a redskin article. Are they going to come out and say we are mortgaging our future every year by handling contract this way, NO, HELL NO. they are going to say it, we have a plan, 3 year plan. Well , yeah, all these players they have now are young. and they can rework the deals to create cap room for upcoming years. But what are they going to do when these players are getting old and have to be cut, because that is what they are going to have to do. They are not going to be able to pay these backloaded deals. LaVar is a perfect example, 12 million, now you can rework it to save for the next 3 years, but when that 3 years is up, rework again? you have to pay the contracts eventually, You cannot run from it. Ask 49ers, Cowboys, Titans. You have to pay these off eventually, they dont go away, the debt just doesn't disappear. Like I said, maybe not next year or the year after, but when Portis, Arrington, Washington , Griffin, Taylor, Moss, when all these guys are getting older and it a decision do you pay them the 10 million or cut them? And when you cut them, yeah you may not pay the 10 million all in one year, but you still have to pay it over two year period. Are they going to do that with everyone? Is everyone going to be willing to renegotiate there contract? Dont think that every person here is loyal to this franchise because that is in no way the case. Samuels refused to rework his deal until his contract was up. They decided to pay him the 9 million the last year of his deal, but that was because they had to let players go, rework some deals here and there, which is all fine and dandy if other players agree to do it. This is all on assumption that players are willing to do these things, and Samuels is an example that no everyone is going to do it. Dont worry fellas, when all this happens I will hopefully be out here to say I dont you so. It may be 3 years, 5 years however many years, but it will happen. You cant keep putting off the payment of these contracts forever.


You know, you all questioning what a capologist does, is like questioning Bill Gates on Microsoft. Now you are going to say I am questioning Vinny, Well, tell me somebody that is going to come out and say his business is in 3 years going to have to make major cuts, cut costs and we are going to struggle for the 3 or 4 years, but we'll be back. Nobody, they will say down the end that we have plan, everything is great, we are thriving, ENRON, ring a bell. I am using that as an example of people who run businesses not telling you truth about what is going on. But, I guess Vinny, Danny and the minions always tell the truth, I forgot they are the gods, the greatest management ever assembled, the greatest owner and yes men ever, thats why our best record is 8-8 in 8 years.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:16 PM   #40
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,553
Re: We must draft better...

LOL nevermind.

We'll check back in 3-5 years when the Skins are burning in cap hell. :FIREdevil

Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:25 PM   #41
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,365
Re: We must draft better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic
I just had to come back and see what you people had to say about me and my post regarding the cap. Of course I supply the articles that show how teams run into the problems they do. And of course, the Redskins are above all other 31 teams and have a magical cap that no one else understands and no one else in the league has figured out. I forgot that most of our stuff is done in fantasy land, what am I thinking? You wanted proof of where I get my info, I gave it to you and you say that its not worth anything, that absolutely cracks me up. This is from a CAPOLOGIST, who does this, who knows the cap. How you and everyone else can discredit a capologist is beyond me. Of course Vinney and Dannys minions are going to say what they say. You quoted a redskin article. Are they going to come out and say we are mortgaging our future every year by handling contract this way, NO, HELL NO. they are going to say it, we have a plan, 3 year plan. Well , yeah, all these players they have now are young. and they can rework the deals to create cap room for upcoming years. But what are they going to do when these players are getting old and have to be cut, because that is what they are going to have to do. They are not going to be able to pay these backloaded deals. LaVar is a perfect example, 12 million, now you can rework it to save for the next 3 years, but when that 3 years is up, rework again? you have to pay the contracts eventually, You cannot run from it. Ask 49ers, Cowboys, Titans. You have to pay these off eventually, they dont go away, the debt just doesn't disappear. Like I said, maybe not next year or the year after, but when Portis, Arrington, Washington , Griffin, Taylor, Moss, when all these guys are getting older and it a decision do you pay them the 10 million or cut them? And when you cut them, yeah you may not pay the 10 million all in one year, but you still have to pay it over two year period. Are they going to do that with everyone? Is everyone going to be willing to renegotiate there contract? Dont think that every person here is loyal to this franchise because that is in no way the case. Samuels refused to rework his deal until his contract was up. They decided to pay him the 9 million the last year of his deal, but that was because they had to let players go, rework some deals here and there, which is all fine and dandy if other players agree to do it. This is all on assumption that players are willing to do these things, and Samuels is an example that no everyone is going to do it. Dont worry fellas, when all this happens I will hopefully be out here to say I dont you so. It may be 3 years, 5 years however many years, but it will happen. You cant keep putting off the payment of these contracts forever.


You know, you all questioning what a capologist does, is like questioning Bill Gates on Microsoft. Now you are going to say I am questioning Vinny, Well, tell me somebody that is going to come out and say his business is in 3 years going to have to make major cuts, cut costs and we are going to struggle for the 3 or 4 years, but we'll be back. Nobody, they will say down the end that we have plan, everything is great, we are thriving, ENRON, ring a bell. I am using that as an example of people who run businesses not telling you truth about what is going on. But, I guess Vinny, Danny and the minions always tell the truth, I forgot they are the gods, the greatest management ever assembled, the greatest owner and yes men ever, thats why our best record is 8-8 in 8 years.
Still.

You still don't get it man. I fully recognize that you have to eat the cap hit on a signing bonus. But you're just not grasping how it can be fit under the cap.

The cap doesn't sit at $85 million for eternity, you know. Next year it will be something between $92-$95 million. The next year (assuming the CBA gets reworked), it will be like $105 million. And the next year, close to $120 million.

When the cap grows like that you can afford to kick more bonus money down the road. Let's say, hypothetically, that this year the cap is $100 million and grows $10 million each year. Why would we eat a $5 million base salary this year, when it represents 5% of our cap, when we could spread it to later years when it will represent a smaller % of our cap?

Eating it all this year:
5/100 = 5%

Eating it gradually over 5 years:
1/100 = 1%
1/110 = 0.90%
1/120 = 0.83%
1/130 = 0.77%
1/140 = 0.71%

Total % = 4.23%

If you eat it all in year 1, you eat 5% of your cap that year. If you spread it evenly, you eat a smaller percentage of your cap. It's called leverage.

You talk like these capologist writers know what they're doing. THEY'RE WRITERS. Talk to someone with a finance or accounting background, we'll all tell you the same thing. The Skins are fine.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #42
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,789
Re: We must draft better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
Still.

You still don't get it man. I fully recognize that you have to eat the cap hit on a signing bonus. But you're just not grasping how it can be fit under the cap.

The cap doesn't sit at $85 million for eternity, you know. Next year it will be something between $92-$95 million. The next year (assuming the CBA gets reworked), it will be like $105 million. And the next year, close to $120 million.

When the cap grows like that you can afford to kick more bonus money down the road.

You talk like these capologist writers know what they're doing. THEY'RE WRITERS. Talk to someone with a finance or accounting background, we'll all tell you the same thing. The Skins are fine.
Yes I do understand the cap does not stay the same. Do the contracts stay the same, NO. The contracts increase in size every year. they may get a 60 million dollar deal this year, and 70 million dollar deal next year, so what is the point? I dont think you people understand. You are buying into the organization and the spin they put on everything. Do you think they operate a cap system different than 31 other teams. That they have figured out some magical way around this. You have to be dilusional if you think that. Dont you think that there would be somebody else that after 11 years would have figured out this magical way of handleing the cap, or is Danny and boys the only ones that know it. come on, be serious. Like the articles from the Capologist and other experts say, you can mortgage the future for however long you want, but eventually you have to pay, there is no way around it, no matter what you plan for. The cap does not increase in the amounts needed to accomodate the large contracts. I mean some guys are like 20 million on the cap towards the end of the contract, farve is like 15% to 20% of his whole teams cap. that is why they stink!! that is why they cant afford to pay the offensive line man they lost. Same with the Titans.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:34 PM   #43
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,365
Re: We must draft better...

And all teams do it this way. They all use bonuses to spread the cap hit out over the long haul. But you're right, that must be the wrong way to go. After all, all these billionaire owners became billionaires by managing money like idiots.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:36 PM   #44
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,365
Re: We must draft better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic
Yes I do understand the cap does not stay the same. Do the contracts stay the same, NO. The contracts increase in size every year. they may get a 60 million dollar deal this year, and 70 million dollar deal next year, so what is the point? I dont think you people understand. You are buying into the organization and the spin they put on everything. Do you think they operate a cap system different than 31 other teams. That they have figured out some magical way around this. You have to be dilusional if you think that. Dont you think that there would be somebody else that after 11 years would have figured out this magical way of handleing the cap, or is Danny and boys the only ones that know it. come on, be serious. Like the articles from the Capologist and other experts say, you can mortgage the future for however long you want, but eventually you have to pay, there is no way around it, no matter what you plan for. The cap does not increase in the amounts needed to accomodate the large contracts. I mean some guys are like 20 million on the cap towards the end of the contract, farve is like 15% to 20% of his whole teams cap. that is why they stink!! that is why they cant afford to pay the offensive line man they lost. Same with the Titans.
Yes you do eventually have to pay. The question isn't about whether or not you have to pay. The question is can you afford to pay when you've mortgaged the future? The big cap hits are coming, but the Skins are positioned in such a way to be able to handle them.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:37 PM   #45
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,553
Re: We must draft better...

Nobody is saying the Skins operate the cap to perfection. Of course they will face some difficult decisions along the way just like they did last year with Pierce and Smoot.

But what we are saying is the Redskins have a plan in place, and they closely monitor how signing player X today is going to effect the cap down the road and how that will effect their ability to sign player Y.

You're acting like all contracts suddenly come due all at once. The Skins have the contracts spread out and structured so in any given year they know what is going to come due and they plan accordingly.

The cap articles you referenced are true, but as someone said they are basically capology 101.

Answer me this one simple thing, back in '00 the Skins spent like crazy, so why did they not fall into cap hell from that record breaking spending spree like the media said they would??
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35664 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25