Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2005, 09:55 AM   #16
Closet Redskins Fan
 
5RINGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 495
Re: Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

I think TO's next contract will have many behavioural clauses, coupled with his age and he will be a model teamate for about two years. If the Skins got him you would win the Division hands down. Dallas would win the Division hands down if they got him. he would change the balance of power in the NFC east.
__________________
I am a complete and unabashed Romosexual.
5RINGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2005, 10:03 AM   #17
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,279
Re: Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
Matty, if TO is such a cancer to the team why when McNabb went down for the year did Philly players ask "Does this mean TO will come back?" If TO was such a cancer I doubt they would ask that. TO was a great teammate last year and if Andy Reid was not such a stubborn jerk would still be a good team mate this year.
TO is a cancer because of exactly this reason! He has created a divide in the locker room. McNabb hates him and wants him gone. Trotter loves him and wants him to stay. And there's a bunch of other guys on each side of the fence. You're telling me that because a portion of the players want to keep him, that's a good sign???

You want all of your players on the same page as the coaches. TO caused that huge rift. Reid and McNabb want him gone, and a bunch of other players want him back. No matter how you cut it, that ain't good.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:04 AM   #18
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,569
Re: Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets
Don't conflate TO's situation with free agency issue, renegotiation issue, or anything like that, irish. You should know better - this isn't that type of situation.

Neither Philly nor TO said "Let's play one year on this contract and then revisit it to see if it's fair." TO wasn't in his last year of his contract, and there wasn't a salary cap reason to redo his contract.

TO threw a hissy-fit and held out for more money, and Philly's front office, much to their credit, said "no player is bigger than the team".
I know TO & Philly didnt say lets play a year and revisit later. I think most contracts that are renegiotated are not planned to be renegiotated but the teams see the value in keeping the player happy and the player sees that the team values him. That's all TO was asking for after he put his career on the line to try to get Philly a championship. I said Philly played hard a$$ and I was only half correct because that whole thing was handled really bad by both sides. I dont think TO would handle it like that again and any team dealing with him will approach their deal differently.

If the skins do pick up TO it will be great to see everyone on this site start talking about how great TO is. I guarantee that will happen.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:06 AM   #19
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,569
Re: Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
TO is a cancer because of exactly this reason! He has created a divide in the locker room. McNabb hates him and wants him gone. Trotter loves him and wants him to stay. And there's a bunch of other guys on each side of the fence. You're telling me that because a portion of the players want to keep him, that's a good sign???

You want all of your players on the same page as the coaches. TO caused that huge rift. Reid and McNabb want him gone, and a bunch of other players want him back. No matter how you cut it, that ain't good.
I'm telling you that if TO was such a huge cancer EVERY player would want him gone.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:10 AM   #20
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
I'm telling you that if TO was such a huge cancer EVERY player would want him gone.
I dunno about that - players don't call the plays. My point is that I'm sure a lot of them see the talent but aren't able to truly appreciate the destructive influence on the locker room. Without that "big picture" perspective, I don't put a whole lot of stock in what the players consider to be "good personnel moves".
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:15 AM   #21
Impact Rookie
 
Skins fan 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brazil, IN
Age: 43
Posts: 883
Re: Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

YES

I think it could work. There will be stipulations in his contract for his behavior. Most of the reason he was mad in Philly is because they were too cheap and did not pay him. I know he signed the contract and should of honored it but things change when you see things from a different side. He cant be a cancer all the time. If a team takes care of him he will be happy. I see no reason why the Redskins cant take care of him.
Who could touch us with Moss on one side and Owens on the other.
__________________
HTTR!
Skins fan 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:49 AM   #22
Special Teams
 
skindogger47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 262
Re: Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

We can't afford him next year. We don't need the best receiver in football to compliment Moss, just a good one who is reliable and can make the big catch every now and then. I wish we could have picked up Jurevicious this year instead of Patten. He's been one of my favorites since he had that ridiculous catch against Troy Vincent. Somebody like him, though, would be great. Plug somebody like that in, and wait for Andre Johnson's contract with the Texans to expire.
skindogger47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:53 AM   #23
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

The other day Portis and Santana Moss where invited to TO's birthday party. In the back of my mind I was wondering if there was something up with that. Portis was there but I'm not sure if Moss went.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:08 AM   #24
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
Re: Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
That's all TO was asking for after he put his career on the line to try to get Philly a championship.
BS. Owens "put his career" on the line for his own personal glory, which is the motivation for everything he does. Owens is the ultimate antithesis of a team player - he is in this game solely for money and his own glory, not the team's.

You've got to be the most naive football fan around to think for an instant that Owens "put his career on the line" for the good of the team. It's also quite unfortunate that there are fans like yourself that support such self-serving antics.

Being a die-hard Skins fan I have hated Philly most of my life, but I have a newfound respect for Reid and the team owner for standing up to such childish behavior as Owens' and make an example of him.

::sigh::

Whatever happened to guys playing because they loved the game and made a more-than-adequate living doing so?
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:13 AM   #25
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
Re: Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins fan 44
Most of the reason he was mad in Philly is because they were too cheap and did not pay him.
Since when is $42 million for seven years and a $10 million signing bonus "cheap"???

If that's "cheap" then sign me up for a fraction of "cheap" as my salary.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:14 AM   #26
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,279
Re: Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
I'm telling you that if TO was such a huge cancer EVERY player would want him gone.
But the fact remains that he created a huge rift in the Eagles locker room. Is their locker room divided, or is it not?

Are you suggesting that our locker room wouldn't become divided? Your argument isn't making sense.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:16 AM   #27
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

Under these conditions yes.

* You have a problem, shut your mouth.
* You want the ball, don't ask for it.
* You want to win, we all do but losses are part of the game so shut your mouth.
* Just shut your mouth and play!
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:28 AM   #28
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,484
Re: Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

From a talent aspect, absolutely. However, there is more to being a football player than what goes on on the football field. This team is just now getting into the mode of playing like a team - there doesn't need to be any distractions to hender that.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #29
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,569
Re: Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig
BS. Owens "put his career" on the line for his own personal glory, which is the motivation for everything he does. Owens is the ultimate antithesis of a team player - he is in this game solely for money and his own glory, not the team's.

You've got to be the most naive football fan around to think for an instant that Owens "put his career on the line" for the good of the team. It's also quite unfortunate that there are fans like yourself that support such self-serving antics.

Being a die-hard Skins fan I have hated Philly most of my life, but I have a newfound respect for Reid and the team owner for standing up to such childish behavior as Owens' and make an example of him.

::sigh::

Whatever happened to guys playing because they loved the game and made a more-than-adequate living doing so?
I didnt say he played in the SB for the good of the team, I said he played to try to get Philly a championship. Two totally different things. I think all players play for their personal satisfaction within the context of the team. TO plays a team sport so the only way for him to get a championship is for the team to win it. I doubt any fan of any team would care what a player's motivation is for playing hard and winning when the team is hoisting the championship trophy.

If you think today's players care about the team more than they care about their own glory or the $ you are the naive one. Aside from Tom Brady I cant think of a single player that has stayed with his team for less money, thats why free agency is so rampant. The NFL is a meat market and if they players dont make as much $ as they can as fast as they can the team wont be do anything to help when they hit hard times (remember Mike Webster & the Steelers?). How many people in other lines of work would stay at a lower paying job when the company down the street wants to give them a 25% raise? I doubt you would stay for the good of the company. Why do we think ballplayers would be any different.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:35 AM   #30
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,569
Re: Portis Endorses T.O. Coming To Washington, Would You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
But the fact remains that he created a huge rift in the Eagles locker room. Is their locker room divided, or is it not?

Are you suggesting that our locker room wouldn't become divided? Your argument isn't making sense.
The Eagles locker room appears to be divided. My point is that the person I was responding to said TO was a huge cancer in the locker room. My response is that if TO was such a huge cancer nobody would come to his defense. The fact that a group of players want him back tells me he is not the huge cancer people outside the locker room think he is.

If TO played like he did last year the skins locker room would not be divided.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35170 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25