Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2005, 03:34 AM   #31
Camp Scrub
 
40Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

I think the REAL reason Lavar wasn't playing earlier this year is because he's never done anything FOR Greg Williams. If you think about it, LA was only healthy for a few games the first year Greg Williams was his D coach. LA goes out, Gregg plugs in Lemar, Nic... The point is the guys who filled in for LA produced FOR Williams and Williams found a comfort level with them. Why do you think Prioleau is here? Why do you think Antonio Brown is here? Why do you think Bledsoe is in Dallas w/ the Tuna along w/ Richie Anderson, Terry Glenn and Ferguson ? They were there all year long when new facets of his defense were drawn up and applied, Lavar wasn't. I think it was a combination of Lavar's health, Lavar's lack of knowledge of the entire playbook~ including sets he's never played in before simply because he wasn't healthy enough to gain experience in playing in them.Most of all, I think It was a trust issue.
Let's say you take over a job as a supervisor. There is an employee that everyone assures you is "great" and is a "blue-chip". However until this employee produces for you and you foster your own personal trust in them, you will not be able to fully trust them. When Gregg Williams came here, Lavar was just a name sprinkled in w/ highlights. Gregg didn't trust him nor any other player on the roster. It just so happens that other players got the opportunity to prove themselves to him through circumstance. Lavar?~ Busted knee, no such luck.
It's neither Lavar's fault, or Gregg's, Gibbs, or Snyders as to why he was on the bench. It's noone's fault at all. It's human nature, and it's good coaching. Think of it, would you go into battle with someone you've been TOLD will watch your back? Or would you go into battle w/ someone that HAS?
40Walton is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-15-2005, 04:57 AM   #32
Impact Rookie
 
ST21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 519
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsLove24/7
This was very interesting news that I thought should be shared with my fellow Skins fans. We all remember back in the early weeks of the season when LaVar Arrington was riding the bench and all the rumors of why he was not playing were flying around. Well I got some interesting news recently. I was attending my family reunion last weekend and talking Redskins with one of my distant realtives. He is employed by Washington based radio station WTOP. He was telling me that some of the sports guys around the station were talking about the real reason LaVar wasn't playing. If you think back to the offseason the was a big dispute between LaVar and Dan Snyder over like 8 million that LaVar was supposedly owed. This dispute went to arbritation and LaVar ended up being awarded the money. Well suppoedly Dan Snyder was not to pleased with this decision and told Joe Gibbs that he had to bench LaVar for a few weeks. This story seems to fit and would make sense if Snyder was really pissed about the decision. Also the source which this comes from is a reliable one in WTOP. This is one scenario that may never be proven since Snyder would do his best to cover this up. I think this is an interesting topic to discuss so.....Discuss.
Thats crazy.....why would risk us missing the playoff's over money that not his....
__________________
SAY HELLO TO THE BAD GUY........
ST21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:20 AM   #33
Special Teams
 
PhxRedSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 39
Posts: 142
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinsfanforlife
Like I said there is only one guy who made the call to not play L.A. and that is Gregg Williams........ right or wrong he is the reason......

Exactly, ever noticed which way Gibbs is facing when the D is on the field? He brought GW in and gave him full control on that side of the ball. No way Lavar was benched because of the arbitration, simply like the coaches said. They did not like what they saw of him in practice.
PhxRedSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:40 AM   #34
Pro Bowl
 
BigSKINBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 26
Posts: 5,637
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxRedSkin
Exactly, ever noticed which way Gibbs is facing when the D is on the field? He brought GW in and gave him full control on that side of the ball. No way Lavar was benched because of the arbitration, simply like the coaches said. They did not like what they saw of him in practice.
:cheeky-sm :headbange :headbange :cheeky-sm :headbange :cheeky-sm
__________________
"For there is nothing half so glorious
As to see our team victorious"



BSB
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #35
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,560
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982
I said this back when we were actually talking about it... If snyder can tell coles he'll make his ass sit and watch, what make you think he'll be any different with Arrington?

For all of those who say "Gibbs wouldn't play into this, bla, bla, bla" Snyder pays his check too! So what Joe gonna do say no to the guy thats paying him? I don't think so
Sure Snyder talked a bunch of trash, but did it actually happen?

No, because he was just talking out of his ass.

Do you really think Gibbs would go for crap like that? An owner telling him who he can and can't play?

He wouldn't have come back to deal with an owner like that.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:44 AM   #36
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 36
Posts: 1,319
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
Kind of funny that Lavar had been coming out on definate passing downs, it seems Clemons gets the call when we need a real pass rusher and he's been far better at it than Lavar.
Far better at it? I thought you were all about production. Clemons has two sack this year. If he can come out of this season with anywhere close to 10 sacks, I might buy that.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:53 AM   #37
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,560
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
No I don't know that, the fact is your not basing your conclusion on Lavar being the best LB on our team by production, it's being based on his name, your to caught up in the Lavar hype, and not the Lavar substance, Lavar is not a better LB than Washington, he may be a better athlete, but that's where it ends, and I would personally rather see Clemons in there more.
So if we're basing this on production, why do you insist Ramsey is better than Brunell? Where is the Ramsey substance we should be looking at over the hype?

Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:25 PM   #38
Registered User
 
paulskinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: West VA
Posts: 726
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

I don't think this is accurate. First of all, LaVar did not get his money. He claimed the Skins owed him another $6.5 million bonus that was no where in the contract and wasn't even in the rough drafts of the contract. LaVar didn't have a leg to stand on in arbitration according to most of the things I have read. The Skins threw him a bone by altering a couple of provisions of his contract including added incentives, but in the end LaVar came nowhere close to receiving an additional $6.5 million bonus.
paulskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:33 PM   #39
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,975
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
So if we're basing this on production, why do you insist Ramsey is better than Brunell? Where is the Ramsey substance we should be looking at over the hype?

Uh oh Matty. Pleasssse tell me this isn't going to turn into another Ramsey vs. Brunell thread. What have you done?!
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:14 PM   #40
Registered User
 
offiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: sparta, new jersey [ northern jersey ]
Age: 50
Posts: 3,097
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
So if we're basing this on production, why do you insist Ramsey is better than Brunell? Where is the Ramsey substance we should be looking at over the hype?


Lavar has started and played for how many years? Ramsey has had what kind of opportunity? And yes Ramsey's production was better than Brunells last season, I do believe it was the bases for Gibbs naming him the starter at the end of last season. Has Lavar had opportunities this year to play? I believe the answer is yes, Has he had more than 1 quarter in the first game? Yes, Does he play an easier position to learn than Ramsey? Yes. Does the fact that Ramsey had a brand new recieving corps factor into a slowed start? Yes, as I stated before it took Brunell almost 2 games before he actually made a play. So in closing, Lavar has had opprtunities to prove himself, and doesn't come close to pressuring the QB, while at the same time Clemons alway's seems to be pressuring the QB even if he doesn't get the sack.

Whoever want's to believe Lavar is this great LB, go right ahead. But please don't compare his situation with Ramsey's, it's not even close.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:27 PM   #41
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,560
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

You're right there is no comparing them.

LaVar has been to Pro Bowls and proven himself to be a playmaker in this league.

Ramsey hasn't proven anything, and that's my point. Yet you somehow think he's a better QB than Brunell based on what very little you've seen from him.

Your conclusion that Ramsey is a better QB is based on hypotheticals and what ifs. At least our opinions of LaVar are based on solid numbers, Pro Bowls, etc.

I'm officially done hijacking this thread, sorry guys.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:37 PM   #42
Special Teams
 
jgalecpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 458
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsLove24/7
If you think back to the offseason the was a big dispute between LaVar and Dan Snyder over like 8 million that LaVar was supposedly owed. This dispute went to arbritation and LaVar ended up being awarded the money. .....Discuss.
Some Corrections are due:

1. The amount in dispute was $6million, not $8million. However, you did say "like $8m so let's skip past the measly $2m).

2. He didn't get the money awarded by arbitration or otherwise.


They settled this.

He has the chance to be a free agent earlier than originally called for in the original contract.

He has some incentives that are possible, a few years in the future.

They couldn't retroactively give him the $6m because of the salary cap limitations. So, since you are wrong about the two most important facts, I wouldn't put too much stock in your hearsay based conclusion.

Let's remember, this came up because LaVar's attorney forgot the basic rule of "Read The Contract".


J
jgalecpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:39 PM   #43
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

[QUOTE=offiss]No I don't know that, the fact is your not basing your conclusion on Lavar being the best LB on our team by production, it's being based on his name, your to caught up in the Lavar hype, and not the Lavar substance, Lavar is not a better LB than Washington, he may be a better athlete, but that's where it ends, and I would personally rather see Clemons in there more.[QUOTE]



i am not basing my conclusion on lavars name, i'm basing it on his production. go ahead compare lavar's numbers to all the other current redskins lbs minus last year. when was lavar drafted, 2000 ? compare his stats from 2000,01,02,03 and 05 to the stats of any lb that has played for the skins during that time period. lets see who has been the skins most productive lb the last 5 years.
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #44
Impact Rookie
 
CRT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rockville
Age: 51
Posts: 795
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

That is absurd. 1st off Arrington dropped the arbitration so nobody won. 2nd he settled his dispute. 3rd, you have no reliable source because of the 1st 2 facts. If you are 24/7 then you would know this.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05239/561194.stm
__________________
16-0 for 2007
CRT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:27 PM   #45
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Walton
I think the REAL reason Lavar wasn't playing earlier this year is because he's never done anything FOR Greg Williams. If you think about it, LA was only healthy for a few games the first year Greg Williams was his D coach. LA goes out, Gregg plugs in Lemar, Nic... The point is the guys who filled in for LA produced FOR Williams and Williams found a comfort level with them. Why do you think Prioleau is here? Why do you think Antonio Brown is here? Why do you think Bledsoe is in Dallas w/ the Tuna along w/ Richie Anderson, Terry Glenn and Ferguson ? They were there all year long when new facets of his defense were drawn up and applied, Lavar wasn't. I think it was a combination of Lavar's health, Lavar's lack of knowledge of the entire playbook~ including sets he's never played in before simply because he wasn't healthy enough to gain experience in playing in them.Most of all, I think It was a trust issue.
Let's say you take over a job as a supervisor. There is an employee that everyone assures you is "great" and is a "blue-chip". However until this employee produces for you and you foster your own personal trust in them, you will not be able to fully trust them. When Gregg Williams came here, Lavar was just a name sprinkled in w/ highlights. Gregg didn't trust him nor any other player on the roster. It just so happens that other players got the opportunity to prove themselves to him through circumstance. Lavar?~ Busted knee, no such luck.
It's neither Lavar's fault, or Gregg's, Gibbs, or Snyders as to why he was on the bench. It's noone's fault at all. It's human nature, and it's good coaching. Think of it, would you go into battle with someone you've been TOLD will watch your back? Or would you go into battle w/ someone that HAS?

Interesting observation 40Walton, and WELCOME!!!
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34620 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25