Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2005, 06:47 PM   #46
Registered User
 
offiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: sparta, new jersey [ northern jersey ]
Age: 50
Posts: 3,097
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

[QUOTE=wolfeskins][QUOTE=offiss]No I don't know that, the fact is your not basing your conclusion on Lavar being the best LB on our team by production, it's being based on his name, your to caught up in the Lavar hype, and not the Lavar substance, Lavar is not a better LB than Washington, he may be a better athlete, but that's where it ends, and I would personally rather see Clemons in there more.
Quote:



i am not basing my conclusion on lavars name, i'm basing it on his production. go ahead compare lavar's numbers to all the other current redskins lbs minus last year. when was lavar drafted, 2000 ? compare his stats from 2000,01,02,03 and 05 to the stats of any lb that has played for the skins during that time period. lets see who has been the skins most productive lb the last 5 years.
You can't really use those numbers because he had his best year for us as a defensive end, not a LB. And correct me if I am wrong but our defenses weren't that good over that time span.

Our defense was the best we had last season without Lavar, what kind of difference is the guy really making?
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-15-2005, 07:00 PM   #47
Registered User
 
offiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: sparta, new jersey [ northern jersey ]
Age: 50
Posts: 3,097
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Walton
I think the REAL reason Lavar wasn't playing earlier this year is because he's never done anything FOR Greg Williams. If you think about it, LA was only healthy for a few games the first year Greg Williams was his D coach. LA goes out, Gregg plugs in Lemar, Nic... The point is the guys who filled in for LA produced FOR Williams and Williams found a comfort level with them. Why do you think Prioleau is here? Why do you think Antonio Brown is here? Why do you think Bledsoe is in Dallas w/ the Tuna along w/ Richie Anderson, Terry Glenn and Ferguson ? They were there all year long when new facets of his defense were drawn up and applied, Lavar wasn't. I think it was a combination of Lavar's health, Lavar's lack of knowledge of the entire playbook~ including sets he's never played in before simply because he wasn't healthy enough to gain experience in playing in them.Most of all, I think It was a trust issue.
Let's say you take over a job as a supervisor. There is an employee that everyone assures you is "great" and is a "blue-chip". However until this employee produces for you and you foster your own personal trust in them, you will not be able to fully trust them. When Gregg Williams came here, Lavar was just a name sprinkled in w/ highlights. Gregg didn't trust him nor any other player on the roster. It just so happens that other players got the opportunity to prove themselves to him through circumstance. Lavar?~ Busted knee, no such luck.
It's neither Lavar's fault, or Gregg's, Gibbs, or Snyders as to why he was on the bench. It's noone's fault at all. It's human nature, and it's good coaching. Think of it, would you go into battle with someone you've been TOLD will watch your back? Or would you go into battle w/ someone that HAS?

There are plenty of players who have proven themselves to Williams, they did by effort, and production, Rogers [a rookie]I do believe is now starting, marshall is playing a totally new position at MLB, the entire defense last year knew nothing of Williams but were able to establish themselves from day 1, Williams didn't trust taylor at the start of last season, but Taylor made a believer out of him, I don't by the idea that Williams is sitting Lavar because he's comfortable with the likes of Holdman, who wasen't here last year, or Clemons who was a practice squad player for most of last season, it's not like he couldn't have tried to convert Lavar to a MLB, he didn't even consider it.

Lavar's knee did factor into his situation now, but it's a small part of the big picture.

I to enjoy that 1 big hit Lavar seems to make every once in a while, but it doesn't make up for the mental lapses he seems to have all to often, which is the real reason he's on the bench, athletic ability alone does not make a football player.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #48
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

[QUOTE=offiss
You can't really use those numbers because he had his best year for us as a defensive end, not a LB. And correct me if I am wrong but our defenses weren't that good over that time span.

Our defense was the best we had last season without Lavar, what kind of difference is the guy really making?[/QUOTE]


and how many players from last years defense were starters on the skins d the year before last ?

you say lavar is horrible "stinks", i say he's been the best on the skins defense since he was drafted. lbs line up at de and rush the qb all the time, lavar did do that alot when marvin lewis was here but that was just the way lewis used him, was lavar successfull at it ? lavar has been successfull at playing defense , regardless of how any particular coach decided to use him. comparing his stats over the last 5 years , minus last year of course, to any other lbs (played for or is currently playing for the skins) stats over that same time span you will see that lavar has been , easily , the best and most dominant lb.
don't get me wrong, i love marcus washington and i think he is a very good lb, he probably uderstands greg williams defense better than lavar and is a great fit for the skins but i just feel lavar is the better of the two. marcus washington is consistantly good, lavar is sometimes out of position but more often he is spectacular. this season, i'll admit, lavar is not as spectacular as he's been in the past but i've seen flashes of it and i believe he will return to dominance with the more playing time he gets in williams system.
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:12 PM   #49
Pro Bowl
 
BigSKINBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 26
Posts: 5,637
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Walton
I think the REAL reason Lavar wasn't playing earlier this year is because he's never done anything FOR Greg Williams. If you think about it, LA was only healthy for a few games the first year Greg Williams was his D coach. LA goes out, Gregg plugs in Lemar, Nic... The point is the guys who filled in for LA produced FOR Williams and Williams found a comfort level with them. Why do you think Prioleau is here? Why do you think Antonio Brown is here? Why do you think Bledsoe is in Dallas w/ the Tuna along w/ Richie Anderson, Terry Glenn and Ferguson ? They were there all year long when new facets of his defense were drawn up and applied, Lavar wasn't. I think it was a combination of Lavar's health, Lavar's lack of knowledge of the entire playbook~ including sets he's never played in before simply because he wasn't healthy enough to gain experience in playing in them.Most of all, I think It was a trust issue.
Let's say you take over a job as a supervisor. There is an employee that everyone assures you is "great" and is a "blue-chip". However until this employee produces for you and you foster your own personal trust in them, you will not be able to fully trust them. When Gregg Williams came here, Lavar was just a name sprinkled in w/ highlights. Gregg didn't trust him nor any other player on the roster. It just so happens that other players got the opportunity to prove themselves to him through circumstance. Lavar?~ Busted knee, no such luck.
It's neither Lavar's fault, or Gregg's, Gibbs, or Snyders as to why he was on the bench. It's noone's fault at all. It's human nature, and it's good coaching. Think of it, would you go into battle with someone you've been TOLD will watch your back? Or would you go into battle w/ someone that HAS?
:cheeky-sm :headbange :headbange :headbange :cool-smil :headbange :headbange :thumb: :cheeky-sm :cool-smil :headbange :headbange
__________________
"For there is nothing half so glorious
As to see our team victorious"



BSB
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #50
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,643
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

BSB, you must be getting soft in your old age. You'd think you would add at LEAST a few more welcome smileys.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:35 PM   #51
Registered User
 
offiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: sparta, new jersey [ northern jersey ]
Age: 50
Posts: 3,097
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeskins
and how many players from last years defense were starters on the skins d the year before last ?

you say lavar is horrible "stinks", i say he's been the best on the skins defense since he was drafted. lbs line up at de and rush the qb all the time, lavar did do that alot when marvin lewis was here but that was just the way lewis used him, was lavar successfull at it ? lavar has been successfull at playing defense , regardless of how any particular coach decided to use him. comparing his stats over the last 5 years , minus last year of course, to any other lbs (played for or is currently playing for the skins) stats over that same time span you will see that lavar has been , easily , the best and most dominant lb.
don't get me wrong, i love marcus washington and i think he is a very good lb, he probably uderstands greg williams defense better than lavar and is a great fit for the skins but i just feel lavar is the better of the two. marcus washington is consistantly good, lavar is sometimes out of position but more often he is spectacular. this season, i'll admit, lavar is not as spectacular as he's been in the past but i've seen flashes of it and i believe he will return to dominance with the more playing time he gets in williams system.
The reason I exclude the year he played DE, is DE is a more physical position but less responsibility compared to LB, maybe thats where he needs to be, he can use his physical skills without having to really think about responsibility in the passing game.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:16 AM   #52
Special Teams
 
heybigstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 30
Posts: 374
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

BigSkinBauer and company who told me i was crazy before the Cardinals game about Lavar's injury? guess what, he didnt even practice on Thursday and had "no comment" about his status for Sunday.....
__________________
Hail to the Redskins.
heybigstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:19 AM   #53
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,553
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Because of the weather quite a few guys who are nursing injuries didn't practice, and the theme of the injury situations around Redskins Park lately seems to be "no comment".
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:34 AM   #54
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,366
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Because of the weather quite a few guys who are nursing injuries didn't practice, and the theme of the injury situations around Redskins Park lately seems to be "no comment".
And to piggy-back on that point if I may, I'm pretty sure the "no comment" is due to a gag order issued by Gibbs regarding all injuries. I think every single player is going to play in this game, it's just Gibbs' way of keeping the Cowboys guessing. For whatever that's worth.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:34 PM   #55
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,789
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
No I don't know that, the fact is your not basing your conclusion on Lavar being the best LB on our team by production, it's being based on his name, your to caught up in the Lavar hype, and not the Lavar substance, Lavar is not a better LB than Washington, he may be a better athlete, but that's where it ends, and I would personally rather see Clemons in there more.

As for the play involving Gates, I recorded it so I was able to watch the replay a few times, Arrington stood in the D-backfield on the strong side and followed Brees's movement as if he had a chance to make a play on the QB from the secondary, while Gates ran right out into the flat into Arringtons area while Arrington ignored the fact that someone could slip out into the flat, he then only reacted after the ball was thrown and it was to late to catch up, he was the only one out there, and realisticly the only one who should have been responsible for anyone releasing into the flat, and that is why Williams is reluctant to play him, he really is in his own world out there, it just takes one play like that to cost us a game [especially the way our offense keeps teams in the game] and Williams is not willing to risk that.

Kind of funny that Lavar had been coming out on definate passing downs, it seems Clemons gets the call when we need a real pass rusher and he's been far better at it than Lavar.
you talk as though you are in the huddle, or sideline and know what he was suppose to do. Nobody but GW,Joe and players on the defense knew what he was suppose to do. Maybe he was to cover him, maybe he was blitzing the QB. Until somebody comes out,which is n't going to happen now, and says LaVar was to cover gates, or this person was to cover gates, stop assuming that Gates was his guy. When somebody is blitzing that is their job to get into the back field, which he did. If he was suppose to cover gates, I doubt that his initial movement would have been towards the QB.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:31 PM   #56
Special Teams
 
skindogger47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 33
Posts: 262
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic
you talk as though you are in the huddle, or sideline and know what he was suppose to do. Nobody but GW,Joe and players on the defense knew what he was suppose to do. Maybe he was to cover him, maybe he was blitzing the QB. Until somebody comes out,which is n't going to happen now, and says LaVar was to cover gates, or this person was to cover gates, stop assuming that Gates was his guy. When somebody is blitzing that is their job to get into the back field, which he did. If he was suppose to cover gates, I doubt that his initial movement would have been towards the QB.
It was not hard to see that Lavar was supposed to recognize the flat, and maybe notice that the most prolific receiving tight end in the NFL was creeping out there in his area. And if he was supposed to blitz, then he was missing his assignment anyway, cause he was just standing there.
skindogger47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:18 PM   #57
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,789
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skindogger47
It was not hard to see that Lavar was supposed to recognize the flat, and maybe notice that the most prolific receiving tight end in the NFL was creeping out there in his area. And if he was supposed to blitz, then he was missing his assignment anyway, cause he was just standing there.
Like I said you were not in huddle and dont know what he was to do. Why would they have LaVar covering a TE of Gates calliber, he didn't cover him all day. Taylor and other safeties covered him all day. so I think its hard to believe at the end of the game they would switch that sence they kept Gates in check all day. When LaVar was blitzing, he could n't get in back field, and DT,DE and rushing players are tought if you cant get in the backfield hold your possition and get your hand up, now maybe he didn't get his hands up. I seriously doubt that LaVar was responcable for Gates, he didn't have him all day. Plus on passing plays where LaVar would be in coverage, he generally is taken out in favor of Clemons.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:25 PM   #58
Camp Scrub
 
tjmorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 47
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Nonsense, Joe is too old to play these stupid owner games. He will do what it takes to win, short of playing criminals and immoral idiots. No way does he sacrafice wins over $$$$ for the owner.
tjmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:26 PM   #59
Registered User
 
offiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: sparta, new jersey [ northern jersey ]
Age: 50
Posts: 3,097
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic
Like I said you were not in huddle and dont know what he was to do. Why would they have LaVar covering a TE of Gates calliber, he didn't cover him all day. Taylor and other safeties covered him all day. so I think its hard to believe at the end of the game they would switch that sence they kept Gates in check all day. When LaVar was blitzing, he could n't get in back field, and DT,DE and rushing players are tought if you cant get in the backfield hold your possition and get your hand up, now maybe he didn't get his hands up. I seriously doubt that LaVar was responcable for Gates, he didn't have him all day. Plus on passing plays where LaVar would be in coverage, he generally is taken out in favor of Clemons.

Skindog nailed it, if it was a blitz as you say, then he blew that as well, I watched the replay he just stood there moving to his right a couple of steps following the QB's movement, while Gates slipped out to Lavars left. No I wasen't in the huddle but I have to assume that Williams who has been our best and most intelligent coach by far, had Arrington over there for something more than his good looks, then considering Lavar's track record with reads of this nature I then put my conclusion together, but yes you could be right, and I could be wrong, I was not in the huddle, nor did I hear someone from the caoching staff say he blew it, that was my own conclusion.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:43 PM   #60
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,789
Re: New Reason behind LaVar Arrington not playing early season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
Skindog nailed it, if it was a blitz as you say, then he blew that as well, I watched the replay he just stood there moving to his right a couple of steps following the QB's movement, while Gates slipped out to Lavars left. No I wasen't in the huddle but I have to assume that Williams who has been our best and most intelligent coach by far, had Arrington over there for something more than his good looks, then considering Lavar's track record with reads of this nature I then put my conclusion together, but yes you could be right, and I could be wrong, I was not in the huddle, nor did I hear someone from the caoching staff say he blew it, that was my own conclusion.
fair enough.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.45863 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25