Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Is Dan Synder doing a good job?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Is Dan Synder doing a good job?

Ok so I was thinking last night, we all know that Dan is an impatient man, and he has made some rash moves in the past. But do you guys feel that he is improving, or the only reason he did not make any significant coaching moves last year was because we had Gibbs? I think (Or atleast I hope and feel) that Synder is realizing that teams need to stick with the same players and coaches for several years before becoming a strong playoff contender. Look at the recent playoff teams like the Pats and the Bucs before them. Both were really bad teams for quite some time, but the coaching staff and players gelled. I think throwing huge amounts of money will not change for Synder, and that is an advantage for the skins, so we can attract good players, but I think that Synder has realized that you need patience in the NFL. Your thoughts?
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-20-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,143
Re: Dan Synder

Snyder's newly found hands off approach has had a big impact on team stability since Gibbs returned. I'd still like to see him hire a real GM, but his conduct as an owner is much improved since he handed Gibbs ultimate football authority for the team.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:25 PM   #3
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Re: Dan Synder

hooskins:

I surely hope that you are correct in your assumption that Danny Boy has begun to learn the value of patience and sticking to a long range plan. Given that just about every psychologist/psychiatrist you will talk to says that the best predictor of future behavior is - - past behavior - - I'll have to reserve judgment.

I said this before it happened and so I'll repeat it here. The BEST thing that could happen - and has now happened - to the Redskins franchise in 2005 is that Danny Boy got control of Six Flags. That gives him and his new butt-boy, Mark Shapiro, something to do to keep them occupied and which has the potential to return as much - or more - money than the Skins' franchise. Hopefully, that will make Danny Boy assume the role that he should take with the Skins - and the one all of us ought to pray that he takes with the Skins - as the owner who shows up on Sunday to hold court in his box with a bunch of celebrities/politicos who are his guests and who are therefore beholding to him.

If he never shows up at a scouting meeting or in the draft room or fires up Redskins' One for a free agent buzz without Joe Gibbs filing the flight plan, we'll all be far better off.
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
Camp Scrub
 
BigRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 40
Posts: 67
Re: Dan Synder

I would hope this to be the case. But considering no coach under Snyder has lasted more than 2 years, and now Joe Gibbs already finding (at least some) success in his 2nd year, I'm not convinced that lesson is necessarily going to be learned quite yet. That being said, in time I think he will learn. And with the money he is willing to spend on the team, combined with patience, we could be a dominant team for a long time when those two things finally gel together.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:27 PM   #5
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Dan Synder

hahaa I hope he gets the six flags and that happens. But he will start making drastic changes at the rides and firing people left and right.
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
Special Teams
 
Ade Jimoh Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 410
Re: Dan Synder

I always hate all of the attacks on DannyBoy - he has proven over and over that he is simply a huge fan and just wants to win. It's like if any of us inherited $500 Million dollars and bought the Skins from him. We'd be out there every offseason buying the best that money can buy. It's so easy to criticize him after the fact and seeing how certain players didn't turn out (deion, bruce smith, etc...) - but, would you have made the same decision at the time??

I think now he's a little more reserved in the spending, not because he doesn't want to, or can't, but because he's realizing that we'll be in cap hell in the next few years if he doesn't slow down.

I agree, though, that some continuity will be great for this team.
Ade Jimoh Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Dan Synder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade Jimoh Fan Club
I always hate all of the attacks on DannyBoy - he has proven over and over that he is simply a huge fan and just wants to win. It's like if any of us inherited $500 Million dollars and bought the Skins from him. We'd be out there every offseason buying the best that money can buy. It's so easy to criticize him after the fact and seeing how certain players didn't turn out (deion, bruce smith, etc...) - but, would you have made the same decision at the time??

I think now he's a little more reserved in the spending, not because he doesn't want to, or can't, but because he's realizing that we'll be in cap hell in the next few years if he doesn't slow down.

I agree, though, that some continuity will be great for this team.
I think we are already in cap hell in the next couple of years. But I do not think he is a huge fan, because when he got the team, I remember that he knew little about football and did not follow it. Either way, the money he has, plus hopfully a new gained patience will help.
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,984
Re: Dan Synder

I disagree somewhat with SC. The best owners are somewhere in the middle of hands off and hands on. Look at aguy like Bob Kraft up in NE. He certainly isn't hands off but he never gets involved like Snyder has in the past. Cooke was much the same. I think Dan simply needs to take himself out of the talent evaluation process and worry about managing his coaching staff and organization. Let those who know football run that part.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:36 PM   #9
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,984
Re: Dan Synder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins
I think we are already in cap hell in the next couple of years. But I do not think he is a huge fan, because when he got the team, I remember that he knew little about football and did not follow it. Either way, the money he has, plus hopfully a new gained patience will help.
Umm it is pretty common knowledge that Danny Boys boyhood goal was to own the redskins. He was a huge fan before he bought the team. Where did you get the idea he didn't even follow it?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #10
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,053
Re: Dan Synder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins
hahaa I hope he gets the six flags and that happens. But he will start making drastic changes at the rides and firing people left and right.
You think height requirement for rides will be decreased?
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #11
Special Teams
 
gibbs4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: chocowinity nc
Age: 45
Posts: 282
Re: Is Dan Synder doing a good job?

too me it,s all up to synder on how far he wants his team to go.
rehiring joe gibbs is a start for him to go with the open wallet with synder.
but patience is a virtue when it comes to success and going about it the right way.

my 2 cents worth..
__________________
with the sixth pick dan synder selects......daniel synder ...to find someone that will be a better fit for the front office..
gibbs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #12
Special Teams
 
Ade Jimoh Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 410
Re: Dan Synder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins
I think we are already in cap hell in the next couple of years. But I do not think he is a huge fan, because when he got the team, I remember that he knew little about football and did not follow it. Either way, the money he has, plus hopfully a new gained patience will help.
You're nuts! Have you EVER even seen an interview w/ DannyBoy? It's obvious that he's a huge fan. I mean, is Mark Cuban a bad owner?? He's essentially the DannyBoy of the NBA - totally hands-on and always trying to get the best players on his team...
Ade Jimoh Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #13
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,984
Re: Dan Synder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1
You think height requirement for rides will be decreased?
Badabing!!! Funny. Very funny.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #14
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Is Dan Synder doing a good job?

I haven't been one to speak out on Snyder one way or another. Good or bad. I've just sort of observed a little. But I will opine, if you will allow me.

First, the days of keeping coaches and players together for several years is very, very difficult to do the era of salary caps and the free agent market. I think if it were possible to allow players years and years to gell, he would have done so.

As far as his past decisions and management of the team, I believe he simply failed to separate his emotional ties and sheer love for the team from his running the team as a business man. I think over the past couple of years he's sorta reigned in his emotions, if you will, and been a little more responsible with FA signings and so forth.
I think the arrival of Gibbs helped some in dealing with players and respecting bounderies of the coaching staff.

But make no mistake about it, this guy wants to
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:42 PM   #15
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Re: Is Dan Synder doing a good job?

saden1:

Don't know if the height requirement for the rides will be decreased but here's something I would not be shocked to learn:


Parking at Six Flags will now cost $25 and it will be illegal to park anywhere else and walk to the admission gate. The reason of course will be the safety of the children doing the walking...
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29883 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25