Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > Salary Cap Central


Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

Salary Cap Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 12:56 AM   #91
Jay Gruden fan

 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,897
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

I just did an update.

PC updated his bonus info. The biggest change involved Landry, which saved us about a $1M on the 2008 cap.

After all the restructures etc., I have us at $7.826M under the 2008 cap.

Schneed I'll send you a PM with all the details so you can update the thread.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #92
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,331
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

Thanks a lot, CC I made the update.

$7.8 in room, BEFORE getting the savings from Brandon Lloyd... that's quite a bit of cap space for a team who just plans to hit the draft and pass on everything else.

Given that there are no FAs left deserving of big bucks, it's becoming VERY clear to me that we should be expecting a trade in the coming weeks.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #93
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

hey, we now have enough cash to give ocho a 30$mill bonus... woohoo! or not...
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #94
Impact Rookie
 
4mrusmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Age: 45
Posts: 559
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

To all of the numbers crunchers that contribute to this thread and this web site....Big ups and thanks goes out to you!
4mrusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #95
Jay Gruden fan

 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,897
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

After Boschetti signing we are at $7.75M under the 2008 cap.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #96
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,331
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

A quick update was made to tie these numbers up to CrazyCanuck's most updated figures which reflect the Boschetti signing.

Also, a note was recently made in the Washington Post indicating that the Redskins have just guaranteed the next two season's worth of Clinton Portis's base salaries. Cap impact on this transaction is still pending.

It's now obvious, as many of us conjectured, that the Redskins had cleared the cap space necessary for the acquisition of a star receiver like Chad Johnson. When that deal did not come to fruition, the Redskins instead used their full allotment of draft picks. The Redskins' rookie pool allotment will likely be in the range of $4.5 million, leaving the team with approximately $4-5 million in excess cap space. The team is nearly certain to make use of this space in some manner. While some other player acquisitions could be forthcoming, I'd look for the Redskins to extend some key cogs of their team before training camp arrives, allowing the team to secure their players for the long term while allocating some of that bonus money to this year's cap, helping to assuage the future impact of that contract.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:28 PM   #97
Special Teams
 
MrJL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 116
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

THis may be an unpleasant topic but I think the next time they renegotiate the CBA the salary cap is altered so if a player dies his family is still payed his salary but the contract is wiped from the cap. That's something so non-football related it should never really be thought about but there's been what, four player including Sean Taylor who died in the past year?
MrJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:42 AM   #98
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJL View Post
THis may be an unpleasant topic but I think the next time they renegotiate the CBA the salary cap is altered so if a player dies his family is still payed his salary but the contract is wiped from the cap. That's something so non-football related it should never really be thought about but there's been what, four player including Sean Taylor who died in the past year?
pretty much. i think sean was the only one with a real money contract though, and even in his case, if snyder sued for the money, it'd be about 2mill or so, which isn't much from a cap perspective. though i don't think i'll be calling it dead cap this year :/.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #99
Impact Rookie
 
Bill B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 721
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
A quick update was made to tie these numbers up to CrazyCanuck's most updated figures which reflect the Boschetti signing.

Also, a note was recently made in the Washington Post indicating that the Redskins have just guaranteed the next two season's worth of Clinton Portis's base salaries. Cap impact on this transaction is still pending.

It's now obvious, as many of us conjectured, that the Redskins had cleared the cap space necessary for the acquisition of a star receiver like Chad Johnson. When that deal did not come to fruition, the Redskins instead used their full allotment of draft picks. The Redskins' rookie pool allotment will likely be in the range of $4.5 million, leaving the team with approximately $4-5 million in excess cap space. The team is nearly certain to make use of this space in some manner. While some other player acquisitions could be forthcoming, I'd look for the Redskins to extend some key cogs of their team before training camp arrives, allowing the team to secure their players for the long term while allocating some of that bonus money to this year's cap, helping to assuage the future impact of that contract.
Schneed - have you heard or anyone else on the board that the main reason the Skins have done all this restructuring is to mainly free up room to resign Jason Campbell to a long term deal? If Jason Campbell does really well next year he is going to command a big salary as the NFL always pays good qb's top dollar - and I don't think it would be the best thing in the world to let the contract run through and expire in 2009 and deal with the problem at that time because I think a lot of teams will be willing to throw a lot of money at a good qb and even give up 2 first rounders to do it. If you were the Skins would you go ahead and sign him long term now or do you wait to see how he pans out but run the risk of having to give even more money if he does really well?
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #100
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,331
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
Schneed - have you heard or anyone else on the board that the main reason the Skins have done all this restructuring is to mainly free up room to resign Jason Campbell to a long term deal? If Jason Campbell does really well next year he is going to command a big salary as the NFL always pays good qb's top dollar - and I don't think it would be the best thing in the world to let the contract run through and expire in 2009 and deal with the problem at that time because I think a lot of teams will be willing to throw a lot of money at a good qb and even give up 2 first rounders to do it. If you were the Skins would you go ahead and sign him long term now or do you wait to see how he pans out but run the risk of having to give even more money if he does really well?
While I haven't explicitly heard a rumor or read anything on the subject, it seems clear that given the Redskins' history of making nearly maximum use of the cap space available to them, that they'd consider extending somebody.

I think it's very clear at this point that the cap space was intentionally cleared to make room for a Chad Johnson to accomodate a big new contract. The Skins tried hard to get him, offering the 1st and conditional 3rd, and then according to Peter King attempting to contact the Bengals yet again on the Friday before the draft, but it didn't pan out.

So I don't think they purposely cleared the room in order to extend Campbell, or anyone else. But now that they cleared the space and didn't acquire the big name WR they wanted, it seems they're likely to make the best of it and make maximum use of their space. Jason Campbell would be the most logical guy to lock up for the long haul. You could make an argument for Anthony Montgomery as well. We'd certainly have the space to lock up Campbell now. That's what I'd do if I were the GM.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #101
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
We'd certainly have the space to lock up Campbell now. That's what I'd do if I were the GM.
I'm probably going to get crushed for saying this....but I'd wait until maybe 4-5 games into the season to make sure he's progressing in Zorn's offense and moving well on the knee. I think very highly of Campbell and we've seen flashes, but I'd wait just a bit before we make a 50M+ investment. If we were forced to roll the dice now before his agent skyrockets the price tag, I would sign him now. But if we can "kick the tires" a little more IMO that would be best.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #102
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,978
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
A quick update was made to tie these numbers up to CrazyCanuck's most updated figures which reflect the Boschetti signing.

Also, a note was recently made in the Washington Post indicating that the Redskins have just guaranteed the next two season's worth of Clinton Portis's base salaries. Cap impact on this transaction is still pending.

It's now obvious, as many of us conjectured, that the Redskins had cleared the cap space necessary for the acquisition of a star receiver like Chad Johnson. When that deal did not come to fruition, the Redskins instead used their full allotment of draft picks. The Redskins' rookie pool allotment will likely be in the range of $4.5 million, leaving the team with approximately $4-5 million in excess cap space. The team is nearly certain to make use of this space in some manner. While some other player acquisitions could be forthcoming, I'd look for the Redskins to extend some key cogs of their team before training camp arrives, allowing the team to secure their players for the long term while allocating some of that bonus money to this year's cap, helping to assuage the future impact of that contract.
They'll probably also do some restructures to create dummy incentives that will apply on this year's cap and then not be achieved giving us extra cap space next year by rule.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #103
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

i think most of the space will be used to make portis's contract less insane as far as future cap hits.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #104
Camp Scrub
 
redskinsfan40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 2
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

I agree with Sammy I am not totally convinced of Campbell. He has huge potential and now has some potnetially dangerous additions but he needs time to trhow the ball and if we have injuries on the OL we could be in trouble.
redskinsfan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #105
Camp Scrub
 
redskinsfan40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 2
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2008

Sorry new to this and wasn't finished. All I was trying to say is I still think we need to see more consitency from Campbell before we pay the big bucks.
redskinsfan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30185 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25