Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > Salary Cap Central


Portis restructures (Skins about $5M under the cap)

Salary Cap Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,110
Portis restructures (Skins about $5M under the cap)

Sounds like we're gearing up to make a move or two

Quote:
Redskins Insider

Also, in other RB-related moves, the Skins entered today $4.9 million under the cap, sources said, but that does not include the Clinton Portis renegotiation, which is complete and will put the Skins about $8 million under the cap once official and entered in the league files.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,799
Re: Portis restructures (Skins about $8M under the cap)

Very nice...
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,627
Re: Portis restructures (Skins about $8M under the cap)

How much money needs to be set aside simply for the draft picks? And what about re-signing guys like Caldwell, maybe Rock?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Portis restructures (Skins about $8M under the cap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Sounds like we're gearing up to make a move or two
Anybody have any figures on what kind of cap space is necessary to sign up to 6 draft picks? Obviously best case scenario would be all of our picks make the 53 man, but more realistically it will be 4 or 5. I just wonder what kind of cap room will be necessary for picks coming from our spot in the draft order....

Edit: I see SS beat me to the question as I was typing, but you get the idea
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:41 PM   #5
The Starter
 
SC Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,555
Re: Portis restructures (Skins about $8M under the cap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
How much money needs to be set aside simply for the draft picks? And what about re-signing guys like Caldwell, maybe Rock?
To that point. With all the money being thrown around in the FA market, how come they are reluctant to give Cartwright $2M in guarantees? Obviously I don't know what the precise demands are, but $2M in guarantees (the number I'd heard) sounds like an exceedingly modest sum.
__________________
It has taken a long time, but I have finally realized that nothing I say about the Redskins will have any effect upon anything the Redskins do.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 PM   #6
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,929
Re: Portis restructures (Skins about $8M under the cap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
How much money needs to be set aside simply for the draft picks? And what about re-signing guys like Caldwell, maybe Rock?
For draft picks I think we can estimate about 3.5 million. I can't find the official numbers for this year(maybe they aren't out) but last year at 21 the Giants had $3.87 to spend on 8 players while the Saints had $3.371 on 7 players at 20. Accounting for cap inflation and needing money for only 6 then 3.5 has to be tops.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #7
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,929
Re: Portis restructures (Skins about $8M under the cap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
To that point. With all the money being thrown around in the FA market, how come they are reluctant to give Cartwright $2M in guarantees? Obviously I don't know what the precise demands are, but $2M in guarantees (the number I'd heard) sounds like an exceedingly modest sum.
Because we can sign a nobody to almost as good a job with NO guarantees.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #8
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Portis restructures (Skins about $8M under the cap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
For draft picks I think we can estimate about 3.5 million. I can't find the official numbers for this year(maybe they aren't out) but last year at 21 the Giants had $3.87 to spend on 8 players while the Saints had $3.371 on 7 players at 20. Accounting for cap inflation and needing money for only 6 then 3.5 has to be tops.
Nice. Thanks for those numbers.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #9
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Portis restructures (Skins about $8M under the cap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Because we can sign a nobody to almost as good a job with NO guarantees.
I disagree. Rock is a return yardage stud and a locker room favorite. Despite not being a regular starter, he is a team leader and career-long Redskin. I think he brings intangibles that are very important to the team. $2M in guarantees isn't unreasonable at all for Rock IMO. Especially if we can give him a smaller base salary this year to still leave room for our draft picks and maybe an additional WR.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #10
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,799
Re: Portis restructures (Skins about $8M under the cap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I disagree. Rock is a return yardage stud and a locker room favorite. Despite not being a regular starter, he is a team leader and career-long Redskin. I think he brings intangibles that are very important to the team. $2M in guarantees isn't unreasonable at all for Rock IMO. Especially if we can give him a smaller base salary this year to still leave room for our draft picks and maybe an additional WR.
I hate to say this though, but what will most likely happen is that Rock will look around, prob won't get what he is looking for, and will come back for whatever money the Skins give him. I hope is a bit more though, he is very good at kick returns, and a good character guy to have.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:42 AM   #11
Special Teams
 
prinzeofmoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 432
Re: Portis restructures (Skins about $8M under the cap)

good..now thats a team player.
__________________
I laugh at you Colt Brennan haters. You're the same guys who didn't wanna bench Brunell for Campbell. The tables will turn.
prinzeofmoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:02 AM   #12
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,929
Re: Portis restructures (Skins about $8M under the cap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I disagree. Rock is a return yardage stud and a locker room favorite. Despite not being a regular starter, he is a team leader and career-long Redskin. I think he brings intangibles that are very important to the team. $2M in guarantees isn't unreasonable at all for Rock IMO. Especially if we can give him a smaller base salary this year to still leave room for our draft picks and maybe an additional WR.
I think this locker-room leader stuff is largely crap. We have plenty of "leaders" and I think paying a little more than a guy is worth for his on the field value simply to keep one is dubious. I worry about paying our locker-room leaders who actually contribute something valuable on the field. And I would argue his return abilities are not irreplaceable by any stretch.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #13
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Portis restructures (Skins about $8M under the cap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I think this locker-room leader stuff is largely crap. We have plenty of "leaders" and I think paying a little more than a guy is worth for his on the field value simply to keep one is dubious. I worry about paying our locker-room leaders who actually contribute something valuable on the field. And I would argue his return abilities are not irreplaceable by any stretch.
I agree on the leaders part, but Rock's on field performance is worth more than 2 mil in guarentees.

Not a whole lot more, but 2 million guarenteed over say 3 years would be well below market value for Rock.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:06 AM   #14
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,799
Re: Portis restructures (Skins about $8M under the cap)

The guy consistenly brought the ball out to the 30-40 yd line in kickoffs...I mean he's no Devin Hester, but we an improve offense, this would be huge.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:17 AM   #15
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,506
Re: Portis restructures (Skins about $8M under the cap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
The guy consistenly brought the ball out to the 30-40 yd line in kickoffs...I mean he's no Devin Hester, but we an improve offense, this would be huge.
Good point, I'd say Rock is comprable to a poor mans Brian Mitchell. Lacks elite speed to break away on kick returns unlike Hester, but is more then willing to lay the hammer on opponents that try to take him down. Hence the name Rock.
__________________
6.6710−11 m3 kg−1 s−2

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28861 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25