Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > Salary Cap Central


Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Salary Cap Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #436
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,301
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
So I have a question on the rule of 51. I understand the rule that only the top 51 count against the cap in the offseason, but when do all 53 count against the cap. And if follow the signings you outline, wouldn't it be possible to go over the cap(if it is 7million) when all 53 are counted?
You are correct, during the season all 53 guys on your roster count towards the cap. I believe it's cut-down day when this changeover occurs, though I'm not certain. The practice squad also has to count against your cap during the season. That's 8 guys times some number less than $100K. I forget what practice squad guys make.

So you do have to leave a bit more wiggle room. But that's typically accomplished on cut-down day. Inevitably you end up cutting a vet who currently falls in the top 51 and keeping an undrafted free agent or two who currently don't fall in the top 51.

We could sign Renaldo Wynn this week and end up cutting him in August if we discover that the great Alex Buzbee is ready to step up.

Besides, as time goes along here it appears less and less likely that there are any free agents available who are worth a Dockery type contract. The quality linebackers are all on the older side and the tackles seem picked over. The free agent acquisition may be a moot point - it could be the only way to get a quality starter at this point is through the draft.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #437
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,693
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Thanks as always for the info.
I am still hoping that after the draft we may find someone out there that gets released from a team with an abundance of one our positions of need.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #438
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,625
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Besides, as time goes along here it appears less and less likely that there are any free agents available who are worth a Dockery type contract. The quality linebackers are all on the older side and the tackles seem picked over. The free agent acquisition may be a moot point - it could be the only way to get a quality starter at this point is through the draft.
We're doomed.

But that's another thread...
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #439
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

hey, quick note... if wynn or daniels or whoever sign as 1year vet min deals (with 40k or less signing bonus), they should only count 460k against the cap, regardless of whether their nfl experience minimum salary (what they actually get paid) is 460k or 780k or whatever.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #440
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Look at it this way. I heard the Cowpukes are 22 under right now but haven't really picked up anyone. Seeing how most of the good FA are gone they'll not be able to do much even with all of that money.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #441
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

some ex-vp of green bay was just on saying how earned incentives count when earned (ie, if haynesworth get 3mill for 8 sacks in 2009... if he gets the 8th sack in game 3, that 3mill cap hit happens immediately, (not in 2010 as per usual) and if the team goes over cap because of it, they can get docked draft picks and fined.

so, that means we've got to carry enough cap room to cover any incentives written into current contracts for the 2009 season, just in case...
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #442
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Didn't know that... good thing to keep in mind although I wonder if/when that kind of situation arises does the franchise have a bit of time to get back under the cap through some other means?
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:14 AM   #443
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think you're doing a little talking out of turn when you say our cap space is tight. It's clear your knowledge of the cap is limited. Consider attempting to learn about it more and ask more questions. Otherwise please don't tell me space is tight.
i didnt mean to speak out of turn and i certainly didnt mean to disrespect you or the hard work youve done to give us cap data. i dont claim to be a master of the cap, but i just go by what i read. it just seems were threading the needle, so to speak. last year we had enough space to waste on jason taylor. this year, im nervous. we seem to have a lot of needs and not enough cap space or draft picks to address those needs. a week ago, we supposedly had 12M in cap space and there were still plenty of quality FAs out there. this week... it just seems like things are less optomistic. atleast to me.

again, sorry if i spoke out of turn, but im worried about our team now.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #444
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,301
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
i didnt mean to speak out of turn and i certainly didnt mean to disrespect you or the hard work youve done to give us cap data. i dont claim to be a master of the cap, but i just go by what i read. it just seems were threading the needle, so to speak. last year we had enough space to waste on jason taylor. this year, im nervous. we seem to have a lot of needs and not enough cap space or draft picks to address those needs. a week ago, we supposedly had 12M in cap space and there were still plenty of quality FAs out there. this week... it just seems like things are less optomistic. atleast to me.

again, sorry if i spoke out of turn, but im worried about our team now.
I'm concerned about a couple holes too. As each day goes by the cap becomes less of a concern and the fact that there are no quality free agents to be had becomes a greater concern.

Our DE situation will be filled by stopgaps at best. I'm assuming our RT spot will be filled by a rookie, who may be very talented, but would still be a rookie. And our LB situation isn't strong, Fletcher is still great but Blades and McIntosh leave a lot to be desired.

Now we still finished 4th with that defense last year, and we'll have Haynesworth who should help in terms of getting to the QB and causing turnovers. So I feel like we'll be alright on D, but it's the offense that's always the concern. It was miserable in the second half of last year. We're counting on a return to form from Randy Thomas, that we'll come up with something worth a crap at RT, that Dockery can seamlessly move into our scheme, that the young WRs will step up, and most importantly that Jason Campbell takes another step forward.

It's funny, of all the moves we made, there's one thing above all else that will determine our fate this year: Zorn's ability to get essentially the same group of players to play much better. This year is about Zorn and Campbell more than anyone else, regardless of $100 million contracts.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #445
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,729
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I'm concerned about a couple holes too. As each day goes by the cap becomes less of a concern and the fact that there are no quality free agents to be had becomes a greater concern.

Our DE situation will be filled by stopgaps at best. I'm assuming our RT spot will be filled by a rookie, who may be very talented, but would still be a rookie. And our LB situation isn't strong, Fletcher is still great but Blades and McIntosh leave a lot to be desired.

Now we still finished 4th with that defense last year, and we'll have Haynesworth who should help in terms of getting to the QB and causing turnovers. So I feel like we'll be alright on D, but it's the offense that's always the concern. It was miserable in the second half of last year. We're counting on a return to form from Randy Thomas, that we'll come up with something worth a crap at RT, that Dockery can seamlessly move into our scheme, that the young WRs will step up, and most importantly that Jason Campbell takes another step forward.

It's funny, of all the moves we made, there's one thing above all else that will determine our fate this year: Zorn's ability to get essentially the same group of players to play much better. This year is about Zorn and Campbell more than anyone else, regardless of $100 million contracts.
Definitely agree with that point. It's all on Zorn to get this offense up to speed, and then it's up to JC to take another step forward. I'm really not overly concerned about the defense, the offense on the other hand needs to put up some points.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #446
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,301
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
some ex-vp of green bay was just on saying how earned incentives count when earned (ie, if haynesworth get 3mill for 8 sacks in 2009... if he gets the 8th sack in game 3, that 3mill cap hit happens immediately, (not in 2010 as per usual) and if the team goes over cap because of it, they can get docked draft picks and fined.

so, that means we've got to carry enough cap room to cover any incentives written into current contracts for the 2009 season, just in case...
And now that there are no longer any free agents worth a darn out there, we're at the point where you might as well just carry plenty of extra space into the season for things like this.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #447
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,301
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Definitely agree with that point. It's all on Zorn to get this offense up to speed, and then it's up to JC to take another step forward. I'm really not overly concerned about the defense, the offense on the other hand needs to put up some points.
Yeah, and as I think about it, I think I'm looking for JC to make the leap this year. If he doesn't and he performs at a level consistent with last year, then I'd be ready to begin the search anew for a franchise QB.

Hasselbeck took two years in Seattle, we should see Campbell turn into something like that by the end of this season. If not, then QB's got to go. Three years as a starter (two under Zorn) is enough time to prove yourself, at the end of that time it should be known whether you have "it" or not.

He made big improvements last year when he had a line playing well in front of him, so I've got a certain level of confidence he'll take another step up (we just have to protect him!).
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #448
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

My gut (which seems to grow larger with each passing day) tells me we may not address RT at all in FA or with a significant draft pick. I think our line will stay very much like it is and Heyer or Jansen will likely start opening day. I think our first two picks will be DE and LB, but not necessarily in that order. I know i have no facts to base this on, other than comments from the park about Heyer and Jansen competing for the RT starting spot and the fact we are sitting on our hands and not doing much of anything to address DE and LB, other than offering (likely) vet min contracts to Daniels and Wynn.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #449
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,301
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
My gut (which seems to grow larger with each passing day) tells me we may not address RT at all in FA or with a significant draft pick. I think our line will stay very much like it is and Heyer or Jansen will likely start opening day. I think our first two picks will be DE and LB, but not necessarily in that order. I know i have no facts to base this on, other than comments from the park about Heyer and Jansen competing for the RT starting spot and the fact we are sitting on our hands and not doing much of anything to address DE and LB, other than offering (likely) vet min contracts to Daniels and Wynn.
I hope not, because that would mean an epic failure of an attempt at protecting JC adequately. Of course if we get a stud pass rusher out of that deal then I'd complain a lot less. If Vinny doesn't go RT at 13 then he BETTER hit and hit big on whatever he does choose.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #450
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Look at it this way. I heard the Cowpukes are 22 under right now but haven't really picked up anyone. Seeing how most of the good FA are gone they'll not be able to do much even with all of that money.
they just signed the DE from SD - Olshansky(sp?), but it looks like they didn't try to re-sign Canty to save space for Ware. Maybe that's their plan, but WAre's agent is holding off to see what happens w/the cba next year.

Haynesworths' deal definitely jacked up what JJ will have to offer Ware.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33029 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25