Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > Salary Cap Central


Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Salary Cap Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #451
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I hope not, because that would mean an epic failure of an attempt at protecting JC adequately. Of course if we get a stud pass rusher out of that deal then I'd complain a lot less. If Vinny doesn't go RT at 13 then he BETTER hit and hit big on whatever he does choose.
I'm personally hoping for a stud LT with the 13th pick, but I could see the logic behind addressing the defensive holes on our team this year.

1) If Stephon Heyer does have the ability to be a long-term solution at RT, it would be a better use of our resources.
2) Right now, weve got a great defense and an offense that - theoretically should be much better its 2nd year, especially if last years 2nd rounders step up.
3) If we did get Ray Maualuga at 13 and he becomes the next Ray Lewis as many predict, then he would have more of an impact on our defense than any RT could have on our offense.

I guess it comes down to: do we want to put all our eggs in one basket and have a the most dominant defense in the NFL while having an average offense (Ravens) OR do we want to have a great defense and a slightly above-average offense (Titans)?

The way i see it, this team is really two years away from being able to fill all its holes - no matter what Vinny does, we're going to be somewhat thin at 2 of our three main areas of need (DE, LB, OT) when the 2009 season starts. However, if we make the right choices at hit big at 13 like you say, whatever needs arent addressed this year can be addresssed in the 2010 draft - assuming we dont trade more picks away of course.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #452
Karma Chameleon
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,098
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I hope not, because that would mean an epic failure of an attempt at protecting JC adequately. Of course if we get a stud pass rusher out of that deal then I'd complain a lot less. If Vinny doesn't go RT at 13 then he BETTER hit and hit big on whatever he does choose.
I think that's the most important thing, if we're going to take a RT, he's gotta be ready to play. If he can't step right in and make Heyer a backup, this year will look a lot like the end of last season. Jason barely had time to finish his dropback a lot of times before he was getting smothered. This team needs to get better protecting the Q and that's gotta come from the O Line.

I would even go so far as to say that if we take a 1st round tackle, maybe he should move Chris Samuels. I think that would sure up the line a whole lot if the rook could be close to what Samuels was, that'd a huge upgrade to the line.

I also think that bringing back Dockery will really help the O Line, but C, RG, and RT are all still a concern. We have to go for one of those high in this year's draft, IMHO.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #453
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I think that's the most important thing, if we're going to take a RT, he's gotta be ready to play. If he can't step right in and make Heyer a backup, this year will look a lot like the end of last season. Jason barely had time to finish his dropback a lot of times before he was getting smothered. This team needs to get better protecting the Q and that's gotta come from the O Line.

I would even go so far as to say that if we take a 1st round tackle, maybe he should move Chris Samuels. I think that would sure up the line a whole lot if the rook could be close to what Samuels was, that'd a huge upgrade to the line.

I also think that bringing back Dockery will really help the O Line, but C, RG, and RT are all still a concern. We have to go for one of those high in this year's draft, IMHO.
Just to play devils advocate, i think the interior of our line was far weaker than the OT positions last year. Weve already upgraded there by getting Dock. Heyer never got much of a chance to play RT, so if he's on one end and Samuels is on the other, then our OL should be significantly better than it was last year. I'm not saying RT isnt a glaring weakness, but just pointing out that we've already put ourselves in a position where JC should have better protection (assuming everyone stays healthy).

That said, I agree with you that any OT we take needs to be able to start this year. If we take Oher, he has he potential to start at LT immediately for us, moving Samuels to RT... if that happened, our line would be pretty dominant if Thomas can hold it together one more year.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #454
Karma Chameleon
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,098
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Just to play devils advocate, i think the interior of our line was far weaker than the OT positions last year. Weve already upgraded there by getting Dock. Heyer never got much of a chance to play RT, so if he's on one end and Samuels is on the other, then our OL should be significantly better than it was last year. I'm not saying RT isnt a glaring weakness, but just pointing out that we've already put ourselves in a position where JC should have better protection (assuming everyone stays healthy).

That said, I agree with you that any OT we take needs to be able to start this year. If we take Oher, he has he potential to start at LT immediately for us, moving Samuels to RT... if that happened, our line would be pretty dominant if Thomas can hold it together one more year.
For the record, I do agree with this assertion, but there isn't an interior lineman I would take at 13. We could move out, but I don't feel like dealing with trade scenarios right now. I believe that might be the best option, but operating under the assumption we pick at 13, I don't think there's any C I would take that high (ever), but there could be a great T on the board when we come up, so I'd go that direction.

EDIT: In looking at it we could get the 22 and the 54 from Minnesota based on points (we'd be giving away 10). Where (according to Todd McShay) we could go Mack, Unger, Britton, or Meredith. (I'd probably go with Mack) and then in the 2nd round hope that one of the other 3 fall to you. I really can't see any of the other 3 making it to 54, though, so we'd have to with a lesser T, if we took one.

Last edited by jdlea; 03-10-2009 at 12:12 PM.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #455
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Definitely agree with that point. It's all on Zorn to get this offense up to speed, and then it's up to JC to take another step forward. I'm really not overly concerned about the defense, the offense on the other hand needs to put up some points.
It's because of this that I'm more worried about the defense than the offense. The stars are in place on offense, we just needed to plug in the gaps and add depth. Right now, Haynesworth is the entire front seven on defense (whether Fletch can remain a factor I think is dependent on the big guy in front of him). We lost two of our most talented players on defense, two of our biggest stars made cap casulties, and even at age 31, Washington was no slouch himself either.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Last edited by GTripp0012; 03-10-2009 at 12:27 PM.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #456
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,022
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

I hate our current options at RT. Heyer has a lot to prove and Jansen's best days are behind him.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #457
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Yeah, but I actually think the bigger issue at tackle is that we're even more heavily reliant on Samuels now than we were at this time last year, and he's going to be 32 before the season. If we land one of the big four, we have a guy who could theoretically handle the LT position for 2-3 weeks if Samuels is hurt.

The current lineup just offers Heyer and Jansen as bookends should Samuels get hurt. That, is the disaster.

We need to grab an LT prospect to give the line some depth, if nothing else.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #458
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,894
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Alfred Fincher is back (not sure for how much though)
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #459
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I hate our current options at RT. Heyer has a lot to prove and Jansen's best days are behind him.
Do you hate our options at RDE and SLB more or less? How would you prioritize these needs, both at who we have penciled in as starters and in terms of depth?

This is how i Prioritize our needs:

Need for an immediate upgrade at the starting position
1. SLB (Blades is not, and never will be, starting SLB material)
2. OT (Heyer is a better RT than Blades is an SLB IMO)
3. DE (who do we have? Rob Jackson? Chris Wilson? This would be #1 if not for the fact that Haynesworth instantly makes whoever lines up at DE better)

Need for an upgraded depth

2. OT - Heyer and Jansen provide adequate depth if someone else were starting... but we're completely screwed if Samuels goes down.
1. LB - I cant name a single LB on our roster other than McIntosh, Fletch, and Blades - thats scary. (EDIT: Looks like Finch is back)
3. DE - Wilson and Jackson are what you expect a team to have as depth. If we bring back Daniels and Wynn as expected, we have even more depth here, but no true starter.

If we bring back Washington at the vet minimum, then we clearly need to take an OT with the first pick. However, if we dont, then i think SLB is a more pressing need. The question then becomes, would a 3rd round LB be better than a 3rd round OT - 99% of the time, id say yes. So the next question becomes, who has the most potential to provide the biggest immediate and long-term impact of the players available at 13? Someone like Oher or someone like Maualuga?

Last edited by BigHairedAristocrat; 03-10-2009 at 01:20 PM.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #460
Special Teams
 
WestCoastSkinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Age: 32
Posts: 227
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

To update the Fincher signing...

Redskins Re-sign Fincher
WestCoastSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #461
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Do you hate our options at RDE and SLB more or less? How would you prioritize these needs, both at who we have penciled in as starters and in terms of depth?

This is how i Prioritize our needs:

Need for an immediate upgrade at the starting position
1. SLB (Blades is not, and never will be, starting SLB material)
2. OT (Heyer is a better RT than Blades is an SLB IMO)
3. DE (who do we have? Rob Jackson? Chris Wilson? This would be #1 if not for the fact that Haynesworth instantly makes whoever lines up at DE better)

Need for an upgraded depth

2. OT - Heyer and Jansen provide adequate depth if someone else were starting... but we're completely screwed if Samuels goes down.
1. LB - I cant name a single LB on our roster other than McIntosh, Fletch, and Blades - thats scary. (EDIT: Looks like Finch is back)
3. DE - Wilson and Jackson are what you expect a team to have as depth. If we bring back Daniels and Wynn as expected, we have even more depth here, but no true starter.

If we bring back Washington at the vet minimum, then we clearly need to take an OT with the first pick. However, if we dont, then i think SLB is a more pressing need. The question then becomes, would a 3rd round LB be better than a 3rd round OT - 99% of the time, id say yes. So the next question becomes, who has the most potential to provide the biggest immediate and long-term impact of the players available at 13? Someone like Oher or someone like Maualuga?
No reason to trash Blades who has done nothing in the NFL except put together a pair of excellent seasons off the bench, and can probably start in the NFL at any position.

I agree with your assessment of our needs though. But the reason isn't because Blades is camp fodder. It's because even as our 2nd best LB, Blades doesn't help answer the question "who is going to get to the quarterback".

We had Jason Taylor. We let him go. Now we need to replace him, but the FA market is simply too light on players who can do that.

Thankfully the draft is deep, but we're probably going to have to move up from the third round to take advantage of that. One name: Cody Brown from Connecticut (I like how they're UConn in basketball, but not in any other sport).
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #462
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,894
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Cody Brown is someone we spoke to back at the Combine, but as I understand we talked to a lot of linebackers (more so than any other position)
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #463
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
No reason to trash Blades who has done nothing in the NFL except put together a pair of excellent seasons off the bench, and can probably start in the NFL at any position.
great! i'm so glad we finally found our new RT
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #464
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
No reason to trash Blades who has done nothing in the NFL except put together a pair of excellent seasons off the bench, and can probably start in the NFL at any position.
Just for the record, ive got nothing against Blades at all. Hes a great backup for all the positions, but if were talking about him as a starter, i dont like the idea of having two smallish LBs as starters. As long as Fletcher can still play at an exceptionally high level, i think Blades should stay in his intended role as our primary backup MLB and first guy off the bench for any LB who is injured or has to sit out for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I agree with your assessment of our needs though. But the reason isn't because Blades is camp fodder. It's because even as our 2nd best LB, Blades doesn't help answer the question "who is going to get to the quarterback".

We had Jason Taylor. We let him go. Now we need to replace him, but the FA market is simply too light on players who can do that.

Thankfully the draft is deep, but we're probably going to have to move up from the third round to take advantage of that. One name: Cody Brown from Connecticut (I like how they're UConn in basketball, but not in any other sport).
Ive heard good things about Brown and youre right about the depth at LB in this years draft. Its probably the deepest position in the draft at its a huge need of ours.

Personally, i hope we bring washington back at a near-vet minimum deal. If we do that, along with bringing back Daniels and maybe Wynn, then we've given us alot of flexibility in what positions we address early in the draft.

Specifically, it would afford us the opportunity to trade down and pick up extra picks, selecting players who dont "HAVE" to start immediately, but who would be expected to contribute significantly by the end of the year and start in 2010. Off the top of my head, if we went OT with a 1st, DE with a 2nd, and LB with a 3rd, we'd have a good chance of getting just that.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #465
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,022
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

These guys are small?

Blades: 5'10 242
Fletcher: 5'10 245
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34417 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25