Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > Salary Cap Central


Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Salary Cap Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #466
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
These guys are small?

Blades: 5'10 242
Fletcher: 5'10 245
Are you being sarcastic? Ive never heard anyone question the fact that Blades and Fletcher are small. 5'10 is very short for an NFL LB. As a SLB, in passing situations, Blades is generally going to be matched up against TEs, who are almost always 6'2 or taller. And if its a running play, the SLB is going to have to try to get past the block of a 6'2 TE...

From Blades draft profile:

Quote:
Size is the glaring weakness in Blades’ game. He lacks ideal height, and even though he is strong and physical, his overall lack of size will lead to him being engulfed by NFL lineman at times. He does not show the ability to drop into coverage on a consistent basis, and his height causes matchup problems.
H.B. Blades - FootballsFuture.com NFL Draft Profile

While there are always players like London Fletcher, Darrell Green, and Santana Moss who have athletecism and intensity that helps them compensate for their lack of size, you cant fill your roster with "smurfs" or teams will exploit that. A team can get by with one short corner, one short linebacker, etc, but if they put too many small players on the field at the same time, theyre going to get abused.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #467
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
These guys are small?

Blades: 5'10 242
Fletcher: 5'10 245
I guess short is the better adjective. There's no denying 5'10" 240+ is a brick sh*thouse, it's just on the shorter side for NFL LBs.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #468
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,572
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

They're on the short side, sure. But both guys are built like bowling balls and hardly fit the category of small. Fletcher has proven that height is overrated.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #469
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,279
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
They're on the short side, sure. But both guys are built like bowling balls and hardly fit the category of small. Fletcher has proven that height is overrated.
True, but the SLB in particular has to match up against TEs in receiving situations. Blades against Witten, for example, is a mismatch in the Cowboys' favor. The ball just goes up top.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #470
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
True, but the SLB in particular has to match up against TEs in receiving situations. Blades against Witten, for example, is a mismatch in the Cowboys' favor. The ball just goes up top.
Exactly. Now MLB is another matter entirely. Hopefully, we can keep Blades here long enough that he can replace Fletcher when he retires.I love the intensity Blades brings to the game and, as you guys have mentioned, he's a heavy hitter.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #471
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Exactly. Now MLB is another matter entirely. Hopefully, we can keep Blades here long enough that he can replace Fletcher when he retires.I love the intensity Blades brings to the game and, as you guys have mentioned, he's a heavy hitter.
I've admitted that having two shorter linebackers can create a weakness against the run that becomes relatively easy to scheme against, but the flip side of the coin is the simple one: if they're good, play 'em.

Our best two LBs are Blades and Fletcher, and even though neither is really a "Blache" linebacker, they are our best players there and should lead our team in PT for LBs this season.

BTW, there's one name on the FA market that I totally missed who could make a nice OLB: Kalimba Edwards. A bit of a bust at DE, but he's a pass rusher who isn't dissimilar to what we lost with Jason Taylor.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #472
Special Teams
 
Hamoskinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Samoa
Posts: 180
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
...make a nice OLB: Kalimba Edwards. A bit of a bust at DE, but he's a pass rusher who isn't dissimilar to what we lost with Jason Taylor.
He played for KC as a DE. Isn't he old (+30yrs) or something? I like his game, good outside speed and is worth a look IMO. I don't know if he can play OLB though?
Hamoskinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #473
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I've admitted that having two shorter linebackers can create a weakness against the run that becomes relatively easy to scheme against, but the flip side of the coin is the simple one: if they're good, play 'em.

Our best two LBs are Blades and Fletcher, and even though neither is really a "Blache" linebacker, they are our best players there and should lead our team in PT for LBs this season.

BTW, there's one name on the FA market that I totally missed who could make a nice OLB: Kalimba Edwards. A bit of a bust at DE, but he's a pass rusher who isn't dissimilar to what we lost with Jason Taylor.
GT per Blades doesn't switching him to WLB (for the time being) help minimize his shortness since he'll probably get caught in coverage less often? I know we talked about Marcus switching prior to his departure to hide his coverage issues, and because Rocky is probably our best coverage LB anyway, so why not make the same switch if Blades is set to start?
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #474
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I've admitted that having two shorter linebackers can create a weakness against the run that becomes relatively easy to scheme against, but the flip side of the coin is the simple one: if they're good, play 'em.

Our best two LBs are Blades and Fletcher, and even though neither is really a "Blache" linebacker, they are our best players there and should lead our team in PT for LBs this season.

BTW, there's one name on the FA market that I totally missed who could make a nice OLB: Kalimba Edwards. A bit of a bust at DE, but he's a pass rusher who isn't dissimilar to what we lost with Jason Taylor.

i agree with your philosophy of playing our best 2 guys, but, from my perspective, we need to get better linebackers instead of just playing fletch and blades because theyre all we got... not familiar with edwards. if hes cheap, why not give him a shot to compete for a spot - sign me up.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #475
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
GT per Blades doesn't switching him to WLB (for the time being) help minimize his shortness since he'll probably get caught in coverage less often? I know we talked about Marcus switching prior to his departure to hide his coverage issues, and because Rocky is probably our best coverage LB anyway, so why not make the same switch if Blades is set to start?
The reason the Will is a more difficult position than either the Mike or the Sam, at least as I understand NFL defenses, is that the Will is many times more likely to find himself caught in space against a receiver.

Since the Sam always goes to the tight end side, the Will is always responsible for the slant to the isolated receiver, as well as slow developing plays out of the backfield. Rocky was a disaster in this role, for when he was able to diagnose the plays, he tended to not be fast enough to make a difference.

His shortness won't necessarily play better at any position (although you are right about the TE matchup, but remember that in pretty much any scheme except cover two, the strong safety tends to line up to the TE side as well [hense: 'strong'], mitigating the role of the SLB even further).

Grilliams and Blache both are big fans of simplifing the roles of the OLBs against the run. They share the same philosophy: they'd rather see the OLBs take out the lead blocker and open up a clean lane for the MLB to make the play than have the OLB take the blocker head on and try to beat him one on one. It's one of the biggest reasons for Fletcher's success here, I think.

I hope that answered your question. It probably didn't, but maybe there was something valuable in there anyway.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #476
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamoskinz View Post
He played for KC as a DE. Isn't he old (+30yrs) or something? I like his game, good outside speed and is worth a look IMO. I don't know if he can play OLB though?
He's 29 on opening day.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #477
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

I should really diagram this defensive crap, because they say a picture is worth 1,000 words. And 1,000 words is worth an hour and a half.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #478
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I should really diagram this defensive crap, because they say a picture is worth 1,000 words. And 1,000 words is worth an hour and a half.
I actually think you gave a very clear explaination of the point. You did pique my curiosity though: Do you think McIntosh is a starting-caliber LB?
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #479
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I actually think you gave a very clear explaination of the point. You did pique my curiosity though: Do you think McIntosh is a starting-caliber LB?
In ideal conditions, yes. Put talent in front of him and when healthy, he's a league average linebacker. He actually fits our system pretty well. Problem is, if his knees aren't 100%, he usually can't recover from the mis-steps he's prone to taking, and get back into position.

Therefore, while the answer to your question is 'yes' I would not re-sign him unless he makes noticible improvement this year.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #480
The Starter
 
vallin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna Va
Posts: 1,029
Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
In ideal conditions, yes. Put talent in front of him and when healthy, he's a league average linebacker. He actually fits our system pretty well. Problem is, if his knees aren't 100%, he usually can't recover from the mis-steps he's prone to taking, and get back into position.

Therefore, while the answer to your question is 'yes' I would not re-sign him unless he makes noticible improvement this year.
That's his main problem: bad knees. We should've drafted Thomas Howard instead. That kid is a beast!
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31621 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25