Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > Salary Cap Central


Redskins 2012 Salary Cap Status

Salary Cap Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #271
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
The cap may be 120mm but we've got an 18mm penalty... And the cap is projected to go down. The sky is not falling but were back to the days of "salary cap hell" year in and year out due to the penalties
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #272
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Redskins 2012 Salary Cap Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
The cap may be 120mm but we've got an 18mm penalty... And the cap is projected to go down. The sky is not falling but were back to the days of "salary cap hell" year in and year out due to the penalties
But getting $18 million artificially added to our cap in 2014 will keep this tight cap situation from becoming a tight cap cycle.

They are going to pour a lot of 2013 salary into 2014 and beyond to make ends meet, but probably not $18 million worth of salary. Probably closer to $10 million.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #273
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,304
Re: Redskins 2012 Salary Cap Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
The cap may be 120mm but we've got an 18mm penalty... And the cap is projected to go down. The sky is not falling but were back to the days of "salary cap hell" year in and year out due to the penalties
As usual, you're just not listening when it comes to cap situations.

The Redskins' cap next year will be $102 million (assume $120M less the $18M penalty). We currently have $96M tied up in players for 2013, but hardly any of that money is guaranteed.

The following players could be restructured or cut to save approximately

- DeAngelo Hall - Max Savings of $8.0M
- Chris Cooley - Max Savings of $4.0M
- Josh Wilson - Max Savings of $3.9M
- Santana Moss - Max Savings of $4.2M
- Adam Carriker - Max Savings of $3.0M
- Brandon Meriweather - Max Savings of $2.5M

There's $25M in potential savings on that group of players. And what GTripp is saying, because in 2014 there is no more $18M penalty, if they want to the Redskins could restructure all of these guys instead of cutting them. That would kick more of the cap hit into 2014, but an extra $18M in space makes that extremely affordable.

As usual, they will be in position to make whatever free agent moves they see as a priority. They will not be in position to buy every top free agent on the market, but that has not been their strategy under Shanahan and Allen, nor should it ever be. They will continue to build through the draft and sign only a handful of players. It's quite easy to see how their current track is 110% sustainable.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #274
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Redskins 2012 Salary Cap Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
As usual, you're just not listening when it comes to cap situations.

The Redskins' cap next year will be $102 million (assume $120M less the $18M penalty). We currently have $96M tied up in players for 2013, but hardly any of that money is guaranteed.

The following players could be restructured or cut to save approximately

- DeAngelo Hall - Max Savings of $8.0M
- Chris Cooley - Max Savings of $4.0M
- Josh Wilson - Max Savings of $3.9M
- Santana Moss - Max Savings of $4.2M
- Adam Carriker - Max Savings of $3.0M
- Brandon Meriweather - Max Savings of $2.5M

There's $25M in potential savings on that group of players. And what GTripp is saying, because in 2014 there is no more $18M penalty, if they want to the Redskins could restructure all of these guys instead of cutting them. That would kick more of the cap hit into 2014, but an extra $18M in space makes that extremely affordable.

As usual, they will be in position to make whatever free agent moves they see as a priority. They will not be in position to buy every top free agent on the market, but that has not been their strategy under Shanahan and Allen, nor should it ever be. They will continue to build through the draft and sign only a handful of players. It's quite easy to see how their current track is 110% sustainable.
I will say this: if they choose to give new long term contracts to both Orakpo and Fred Davis next offseason, that's probably the limit in terms of cap flexibility for contracts in excess of $5 million annually.

But if they choose to extend Orakpo and Davis and just go out and make a flurry of one year signings for competition, it's likely that they've earned that course of action with strong play on the field in 2012.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #275
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,063
Re: Redskins 2012 Salary Cap Status

any word on fred davis contract negotiations?
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #276
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,304
Re: Redskins 2012 Salary Cap Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I will say this: if they choose to give new long term contracts to both Orakpo and Fred Davis next offseason, that's probably the limit in terms of cap flexibility for contracts in excess of $5 million annually.

But if they choose to extend Orakpo and Davis and just go out and make a flurry of one year signings for competition, it's likely that they've earned that course of action with strong play on the field in 2012.
I don't think I agree with that, GTripp. There's so much more opportunity than that to clear space. Davis and Orakpo don't have to be the only significant moves.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #277
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,063
Re: Redskins 2012 Salary Cap Status

are we really sitting at $4.5M in cap room?
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #278
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,063
Re: Redskins 2012 Salary Cap Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
are we really sitting at $4.5M in cap room?
cool

Team-by-team cap space as of September 7 | ProFootballTalk
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #279
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
How amazing is it that even after the cap penalty we are in better shape than the Giants.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #280
Impact Rookie
 
Evilgrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 663
Re: Redskins 2012 Salary Cap Status

Pretty funny how little some teams are now spending under the new CBA.
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #281
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,835
Re: Redskins 2012 Salary Cap Status

latest sheets are up, thanks CC

http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #282
The Starter
 
T.O.Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Berlin, MD
Posts: 2,030
Re: Redskins 2012 Salary Cap Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
latest sheets are up, thanks CC

http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm
The way I read the cap sheets we did not use the 18 million dollar deduction this year. Does that mean we have to be 36 million under next year.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #283
Robert Griffin III
 
Monksdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 33
Posts: 1,495
Re: Redskins 2012 Salary Cap Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
The way I read the cap sheets we did not use the 18 million dollar deduction this year. Does that mean we have to be 36 million under next year.
That wasnt an optional penalty for the first year. We could pay more than the 18 and thus incur less penalty next year.
__________________
Robert Griffin III
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #284
The Starter
 
T.O.Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Berlin, MD
Posts: 2,030
Re: Redskins 2012 Salary Cap Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown View Post
That wasnt an optional penalty for the first year. We could pay more than the 18 and thus incur less penalty next year.
Thats the way I understood it also. But the redskins look to be at 1 million under 120. I thought 120 was every ones cap
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #285
F the Shannys

 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,884
Re: Redskins 2012 Salary Cap Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
The way I read the cap sheets we did not use the 18 million dollar deduction this year. Does that mean we have to be 36 million under next year.
My sheets include an $18M penalty. However we had $13M of unused cap space from last year which helps to offset.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28978 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25