View Single Post
Old 06-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #104
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Its cool if you don't view passing on QB as mistake. Or should I say its cool if you dont think they should have drafted a QB somewhere. We're just talking here....

It seems to me that"appreciably better chance of becoming a successful starter ~then our guys...." is a pretty lofty measure of success for a draft pick.

Is that your criteria for making a draft selection?
Does everyone of the other draft picks meet this criteria?

My view can be summed up like this: you got to play to win. I also think we should have drafted a TE, out of curiosity what's your thought on not selecting a TE?
In general I'm in favor of drafting for BPA, with quarterback being the lone exception, because when you don't have one your chances of doing anything are slim to none.

I think we have 3 QBs all of whom haven't consistently taken off in their careers, but also still have some degree of upside. Even McCoy, who I see as someone who could perform like Alex Smith if he continues to develop over time. So if we were to draft a QB I figure we'd need to cut one of the three (or trade one for below market value). I didn't see anybody in this draft, besides the top two guys, who have significantly more upside than any of our guys. So to me the pick would have been a little bit wasted that way.

Do I apply the same logic to TE? No. QB is different, it's special, I'm OK with drafting for need. If Winston fell to us I would have jumped on it.

I liked all of our picks. We're definitely thin at TE now, but if we hadn't drafted Kouandjio or Jones, just picking them as an example, then I would have said we're thin at RB and G. Wish we had another TE, but I'm glad we got what we got, and wouldn't change it.

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.06430 seconds with 9 queries