View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #79
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Re: Redskins Promote Kevin O'Connell To Offensive Coordinator; Matt Cavanaugh Moves To Senior Offensive Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
The same Gruden that had McVay calling plays for a couple of years under him, the same Gruden that had KOC calling plays last year when Sanchez was in the game?
McVay was here before Gruden. I'm sure Gruden was happy McVay got another job when he did, because if he had stayed around another year, you better believe Jay would have been fired and McVay promoted. And you're assuming it was Gruden's decision to give KOC a shot at calling a handful of plays... given the reports we've heard about how Snyder has been enamored with KOC for a while, its quite possible this was an edict from above, although that is just speculation.

Quote:
Of course winning games at any cost helps Gruden. Do you really think if they win 10 or 11 games it won't help get Gruden an extension?
No. I don't think it will help him all. If O'Connell is calling the plays, he will get all of the credit for the teams success.

Quote:
Or at least put him in a good spot to land a HC job elsewhere?
It might help him, but it depends on how many jobs are open and what other candidates are available. Jay has had a track record of mediocrity as an OC. He's respected by the players because he's a "players coach" but nothing about him inspires confidence as a HC. The only scenarios where i think other teams want Jay as a HC is where the team experiences a degree of success which i think is outside the realm of possibility.

Quote:
Bottom line is Gruden needs to win, period.
Jay is smart enough to understand the situation that he's in and his only chance of staying here in 2020 or getting a job elsewhere is having monumental success this year. Do you really think Jay feels that his best shot of having that success is:
A) turning over play-calling duties to someone with incredibility limited experience
B) "Controlling his own destiny" and retaining play-calling duties himself
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.07199 seconds with 10 queries