View Single Post
Old 01-11-2022, 06:18 AM   #46
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: 2022 off season thread part 1

I'd say at this stage (before end of season cuts etc.) the only things we can speculate on are coaching changes and our own FA's. Aside from maybe a position coach or two getting offered, I don't see Turner or JDR being fired or headhunted. That leaves FA's. I'd split those (and this is based on the assumption our own FA's would all want to re-sign for more money):

Must re-sign:
McKissick - too versatile to let go with no clear replacement
Slye - if nothing else we need a proven #1 kicker going into the offseason. He's done nothing wrong, as I see it, not to come back.
Settle - I don't agree he's better than Payne, but there's no great drop off of talent. And Payne is prime trade material at this point.

Re-sign if cap friendly:
Scherff - On the one hand he has been oft injured but on the other he's Pro Bowl talent and arguably the anchor of the OL. Tough one as we're better with him in, but not worth mortgaging the future on a G.
McCain - Mixed bag this season but he was never touted as the saviour of the secondary. If he wants to re-sign and realistic in expectations, I'd bring him back.
Larsen - Good depth on OL notably at C. But not good enough to stretch to more than league average for 2nd string.
Roberts & McTyer - good depth at CB with some flashes but not enough to go overboard on new deals.
Humphries, Carter & Sims - None of them are must haves, though if I HAD to take 2 from 3, it would be Humphries & Carter. Humphries has played tough and been a better signing than Samuel. Carter has done OK at WR but given us a real spark in the return game (remember Sims last year...). I like Cam Sims, but I can't see him ever being more than depth.

Don't bother:
Bates' progress makes Seals-Jones expendable though I'd still draft a TE if we can, or bring in an equivalent FA. I don't see the point in bringing back Allen except as camp fodder; if he couldn't displace TH he isn't even a good option at backup. The rest are JAG's.

Extend Maclaurin as a priority, but that's a no brainer. I'd like to see Collins back as a hybrid LB, but it would have to be on a much better reworked deal, else he's a cap casualty if he refuses.

Jeez, do we have 2 massive holes at QB and MLB (I'd argue the 2nd most important positions on the team). This made me laugh - https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-dr...regular-season. No, OL and WR are NOT 2 of our biggest needs at this stage. Yes they are a concern, but a true leader at MLB is a far bigger issue than those 2 positions.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.06188 seconds with 10 queries