View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #24
Bangee7
Impact Rookie

Re: Draft Prospects "Watch" List and Draft Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Scot McCloughan Q&A: The Philosophy and Tools of a Successful NFL GM | Bleacher Report

good McC interview here by bleacher report and Jason Cole.

My favorite part:

B/R: But you can’t miss in the first round.

SM: You can’t, and you shouldn’t if you do enough work. Everybody said Brandon Scherff was taken too high. He’s a guard now, and he’s the fifth pick in the draft. I said, "Are you kidding me?" He played every snap in the season but one. The only reason he missed one is because his shoe fell off, and to this day, he yells at me about it. That’s the only snap he missed all year. He would have played the whole season, every snap. He’s not the most flashy guy, he’s not the prettiest guy, but he’s a football player, and that’s what I’m talking about with a red. Now, he might be a blue in two years, three years. Who knows? But right now, he’s a red. He’s a core guy, and, all of sudden, guys walk in next year and see him, they’ll be like, "OK, that’s how we act. That’s how we lift weights. That’s how we condition. That’s how we go to meetings. That’s how we practice." Guys walk in, and they’re scared of him. Trent Williams is scared of him, and he’s a Pro Bowler. Trent said, "I don’t want to mess with that guy." And [Scherff] is a rookie, but that’s what starts building a culture. He’s a red. You wait and see who we take at 21 in the draft this year. He’s a red.

B/R: You already know who it’s going to be.

SM: (smiling) Yeah, I think. Hopefully he’s not gone. But I’m adding the same kind of guy. Toughness, smarts, competitiveness, team. The whole thing.
great article. I like the fact that he's locked on to a target.
Bangee7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.16220 seconds with 10 queries