View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Bill B
Impact Rookie

Red Zone Play Selection Questions

A couple of questions that some of the Redskin faithful may have insight on with regards to the play selection of the red zone offense of the Skins:

1.) Why is it that so many of the passing plays of the Redskins Red zone offense are set up to the edges of the endzone? For example I see many plays that are set up for Malcolm Kelly that go to the outside - to me this just seems like it is giving the defense an advantage because the db only needs to worry about covering the inside field on the play. It almost seems like the Skins passing to the outside only limits the field of play and gives the defense another defender in the sideline. Yes it helps prevents turnovers but to me I just don't see a lot of the routes being run in the middle of the end zone which would be harder for a db/lb to defend. Am I missing something here? Are the Skins running a lot of routes in the middle and is Jason Campbell just focusing on the outside too much because he does not want to turn the ball over?

2.) Is the 2 tight end set even being used in the Red Zone with both Cooley and Fred Davis in the game at the same time? All I heard about was how Fred Davis during practice is almost impossible to cover - why not put him and Cooley at the same time and runing routes to open things up in th Red Zone? We are not having too much luck with our current WR's so why not put these 2 tight ends so it would add a little decpetion on whether we may run or pass?

3.) Running to one side and not using the spread offense: Ok I know many will respond back that we run to the one side because one half of our line is below average. But teams are just studying the film and we have become so predictable and they simply stack that side to defeat us. Why not use the spread offense a little more like when Portis was in Denver and prevent teams from stacking one side and preventing what we saw this past Sunday - even down there in the red zone? Also, why not run some to the other side - even if it gets stuffed it may keep teams a little more honest and not stack one side all the time.

4.) Using the hurry up. We seem to move the ball better by implementing the hurry up as this prevents the defense from bringing in fresh players - why not keep the heat on down in the red Zone and not allow the defense to bring in a set of fresh defenders? Maybe this will help our lineman win some of the one on one battles more as teams will not be able to simply bring in fresh defensive lineman while our oline stays constant.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.06947 seconds with 10 queries