View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #22
Warthog
The Starter

Could the Skins do what the 49ers did in 2019-20?

It take awhile to turn a team around. Sure we got rid of the team cancer and Chief Knucklehead, Bruce Allen, but the MANY mistakes he made will take several years to erase (such as Alex Smith’s contract).

The defense with the addition of Chase Young and maybe signing Kendall Fuller as well as drafting or FA signing of FS and LB will improve the defensive players we have. But the BIGGEST improvement will be the defensive genius and instruction of Del Rio and RR. I expect this defense to be in the top 10 next year.

The offense has further to go. First is the OL: it all depends on the resigning Trent, Scherff and Flowers. Drafting an OT. Filling the TE black hole with Olsen (for one year) and either going for an elite TE or trying to draft a starter with our third rounder. Need a WR #2 FA until we can see if Harmon can fill it for the future. What about RB? Can Guice and Love make it through a whole season? Haskins shone at the end of the season - can he keep improving? How good is Scott Turner? I think he will play to Haskins pluses better than KOC, but he’s still green and will need some time to grow. There are just too many questions on offense to expect them to dominate.

The number of big holes in the Redskins lineup can’t be fixed in one season of FA and draft picks. Kyle Smith had an incredible 2019 draft and UDFA. He has done extremely well over the last 3 years but it is foolish to think he can keep beating the averages every year. That’s like people expecting the stock market to always rise and increase. Some FA will have to be done on the cheap and for one-year contracts of older but still good players. Greg Olsen is one such pickup - probably a one year deal for $4-5 mill. We might take a chance on Kendall Fuller and hope he returns to the form when he was here (before Bruce Allen’s ridiculous trade).

I think it reasonable for the Redskins to win 7-8 games. But we have too many unknowns and holes to think we’re going to go much past that. At least this will be a motivated, disciplined team playing well with what they have. The defense will be exciting and will improve A GREAT DEAL over Greg Manusky’s pitiful coaching. The offense will have bursts of very good play followed by mistakes of a young team.

BL - this team will be fun to watch again although we are probably a season away from playoff level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.04141 seconds with 10 queries