View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #205
jamf
Pro Bowl

Re: Alex Effect - 2019 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
I will say, in context, the chart is dating back to 1999, so 20 years, plus, some of those quarterbacks, like Beck, only played in a few games for one season. Hardly worth mentioning. Still, if you take the quarterbacks who had significant amounts of playing time, you look at:

Brad Johnson
Patrick Ramsey
Mark Brunell
Jason Campbell
Donovan McNabb
RGIII
Kirk Cousins
Alex Smith

I'm thinking more of those who were meant to be the starters, not necessarily those who signed on for a handful of games or were backups playing because of injury. You then see 8 quarterbacks in about a 20 year span.

I mean, if we go back to the pre Snyder years, you still have quite a few quarterbacks just within the 90's: Mark Rypien, Cary Conklin, John Friesz, Health Shuler, Gus Ferrotte, Tim Green, Brad Johnson. I might have missed someone in there. But, the point is, the Redskins haven't really had a franchise quarterback in forever. Heck, there could be an argument that Joe Theismann was never a true franchise QB, but I have always felt he was the last QB I could consider a franchise QB.
All those QBs not worth mentioning are the result poor decision making by the team

Let me know if you see a trend:

00-01: Sign Vet QB for playoff run (George, Tony Banks)
02-04: Rebuild with young QB and Vet Journeyman( Ramsey and Hasselbeck)
04-06: Sign Vet QB for playoff run (Brunell)
07-10: Rebuild with Young QB and Vet Journeyman (Campbell and Brunell/Collins)
10-11: Sign Vet QB for playoff run, Andy Reid has a guy... (McNabb)
11-12: Rebuilding with rookies doesn't work, lets get another Vet (Grossman)
12-18: Signing Vets didn't work, Lets trade 3 1st round picks for RG3!
18-Current: Well shit, lets sign a Vet QB to get us into the playoffs, Andy Reid has a guy!

Overpay for an aging vet, rebuild with a young guy, overpay for a vet, rebuild.... The cycle never ends if you are a Redskins fan.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.08581 seconds with 10 queries