Thread: Dwayne Haskins
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #61
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Re: Dwayne Haskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Trying to look at this completely objectively - I'm not entirely sold that Haskins will succeed and become a top 10/15 type QB in the NFL. Chico's points about his surrounding cast at OSU are fair. At the same time, dude knows when to put touch on the ball and when to gun it.

But if I had no questions about him then Haskins have been the first overall or 2nd overall pick. So that's why I like this - the price we paid makes it worth the shot. We didn't trade away multiple picks to get him. Instead we get a rookie QB on a rookie QB contract for four years (plus an option) who by all accounts has a decent chance to be a top 10 type QB. You have to take that shot because the rookie QB contract is the holy grail of team building.

He gives us a chance to pay players at other spots and make a run in 2020-2022 before Haskins himself needs to be paid. It's hard to talk about the Redskins and a Super Bowl window without chuckling, but that's what the rookie QB contract gives you.

Alex comes off the books after 2020 when we release him, and if Haskins looks legit, then we pay up at other spots and push the chips in for 2020-2022. That's what this pick gives you, it's worth taking the shot.
Great post Schneed. While I wasn't thrilled with him as the pick either, you're right about him being worth a shot. It's just little things about him that rub me the wrong way, he's chunky, he seems very cocky, legit concerns about pocket presence, and like others said...I just think he had it pretty easy in that OSU offense and he's in for a very rude awakening here...but these are just my opinions which mean nothing. I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be great. I did like the fact when asked if he would wear #7 he said he would have to ask Mr. Theismann first...and I'm sure Theismann will be fine with it but again, selfishly I hope he picks another number.

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.05349 seconds with 10 queries