View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #15
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: The Common Ground thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Since this is the common ground thread, maybe we can try an exercise in compromise. around drugs. So, rather than focusing on the talking points and extreme stances, what core points do we find that common ground on?

Common ground statements - can you compromise on these points, without contradicting your core values:
Decriminalizing recreational pot -
puts the onus on the individual
could lead to acceptance of harder drugs
could reduce the damage done to minority groups by overly harsh sentences
could still have requirements for treatment, but not criminal records
could have requirements for treatment, and expunge criminal records after short sober period
does not mean all drugs should be legal,
does not mean all drugs should be illegal.

Maybe there are other core value statements that have to be worked in to a final solution. What would your redlines be around drug use decriminalization?
I have a hard time seeing a con. I am not trying to get in an argument of police defunding. There are obviously idiots like AOC that literally mean defund the police but most politicians I have asked about this issue it is doing things such as decriminalizing pot so the police can actually focus on more important community issues. That could be a compromise for both parties. How would you and SD being more libertarian handle legalizing pot knowing the government would regulate it to prevent it from being the low standard "imports" we see today? To me regulation makes products be it consumer, energy, food cleaner.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.04017 seconds with 10 queries