View Single Post
Old 03-06-2004, 06:21 PM   #27
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
So an emloyer can set up a job qualification like all employees must white and deny all minority's the job? I am not a laywer (so i might be wrong) but I think there are laws that say employers can not discriminate because of race, religion and age. There are child protection laws that prevent the hiring of someone under a certain age (14?).
If you are old enough to be drafted by our goverment to go to war and die, you are old enough to work in any field.
An employer cannot refuse to hire anyone based on their color, race, or national origin. Just because anyone over the age of 18 is qualified to fire a gun at the enemy and risk bodily injury or death, doesn't instantly qualify them to apply for and get any job they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
Correct me if am wrong, but aren't there brilliant minds in our country that accelerate their education and graduate from college and somtimes medical or law school way before thier time. Do we deny them the ability to work?
No, there are rare cases like this, but again, an employer in this situation would make a hiring decision based on their qualifications. Someone who has passed through medical or law school 'way before their time' will most likely be hired because they have accomplished the necessary requirements to work in those fields. In the Clarett case, he is unqualified based on the number of years that have passed since he graduated from high school -- in other words, he has not met the specific requirements to play football in the NFL. Simple as that.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.05956 seconds with 10 queries