View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #23
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: NFL Anthem Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I agree with the changes the NFL made for a few reasons. It's not because of blind patriotism or anything of that matter. Quite frankly, the kneeling didn't affect me one way or another because I'm normally not even watching until kickoff happens. That said, the NFL was between a rock and a hard place.

1) They were losing money and viewers over people not standing for the anthem. While I don't consider it a disrespectful stance, I can understand why people feel it is disrespectful. When it comes down to it - people are not tuning in to watch because people are kneeling -- they sure as hell are tuning out because of the kneeling.

2) Most people can get behind the cause of keeping people from being assaulted/discriminated against. Leaving the ability to protest opens the NFL up to OTHER protests as well. You can't say it's okay to protest policy violence -- but then not allow players to protest other things. What if you have someone who wants to pose for Pro/Anti Abortion Rights? Pro/Anti Immigration Rights? Pick any Pro/Con stance and put it in there.

3) Lastly - the NFL isn't trying to silence anyone. Most of us, at our jobs would not be able to take a political stance in front of our customers, and we see significantly fewer than the NFL sees. However, in our off time we're free to use our money, time, and influence towards political causes if we like. NFL players are no different. In fact I bet owners and NFL Brass would even be willing to put forward some resources towards helping these causes.

TL;DR: Allowing protests during the anthem only causes the NFL to lose viewers - not gain them, the NFL then has to allow protests for other more controversial topics, and most of us every day folks wouldn't be allowed to make political stands at work.

Watch what happens to the ratings if they do not allow the first amendment to take place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.04142 seconds with 10 queries