View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
metalskins
The Starter

Re: Redskins, Ravens lead list of five teams that could make leap into the playoff field in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
I would say the difference between a truly good team and the rest is winning DESPITE the injuries which happen every year. That means the roster spots 25-45 - a combination of drafting well, good FA, good coaches/scheme, trainers and team cohesiveness.

ie. The Eagles won last year with their back-up QB.
The Patriots always seem to win despite losing their best players every year - Gronk, Edelman, Blount, Dion Lewis, Nate Solder, etc,etc

Good rosters are always good, every year despite injuries. Bad teams (like us for past 20 years) have lucky years --- and then disappear. I think we are looking more like a good team with better depth after a nice few drafts -- hoping we keep it up.
Yes, good teams win despite injuries, but last year was a freak of nature for us. I don't doubt that had we cut those injuries in half, the team would have won at least a couple more games. When an up and coming team gets hit with major injuries like we did last year, it does affect them more because there has not been a well established culture of winning. A team like the Patriots could go through the same thing and still win 11 games, because there's a winning culture established from the owner down to the waterboy.

I think the culture is changing, and I think this might be the first year you'll see a glimpse of a team who is capable of going deep in the playoffs. Now, how long that lasts will be the biggest question, but I think the team has done a very good job this offseason building a strong competitor.

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.09409 seconds with 10 queries