View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #75
Warthog
The Starter

Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Unless you have the foresight of knowing that he was going to have a season/potentially career ending injury, I don't get about the complaints about Smith's contract. People would have gone ape shit here, if they'd sign Keenum last year as a stop gap. QBs are always overpaid, and even a stopgap QB would have cost money.

Also, the team was winning with Alex's "no mistakes" brand of football. Not the way people liked it, but they were winning. And things would have been a hell of a lot better, had Alex stayed healthy.
The Redskins were winning with Smith in very close games last year - games which could have gone either way based on just one or two plays. I think our opponents were starting get the measure of Smith - what he could do well and also what he could NOT do and were changing their defenses based on his style of play. The defenses were really starting to shut him down. IF he had stayed healthy last season, I don't think we would have won many more games.

Alex Smith's style of play can help a very good team win games. But those very good teams let him go because his upside is so very limited. If he was a real franchise QB, his former teams wouldn't have dumped him. Bruce Allen mismanaged Kirk Cousins (who we should have let go) and then paid a top salary on a long contract to an aging QB who is decent but not the future QB of this team.

If smith hadn't been hurt, which no one could predict, I think we would have seen why other teams dumped him. He's going to be a cap black hole and will never play a regular-season game for the Redskins.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.52264 seconds with 10 queries