View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #160
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: Around the NFL: NFL Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I must admit I always find it unusual how much of a difference there is between the US and other nations when it comes to tier 2+ sport. i.e. Lower league football over here is well supported, almost as well as the Premier League, and has the revenue to support quite good salaries in the 2nd tier (Championship) and at least enough in the next level (League 1) to live off. Lower divisions do tend to have more part time players, and the lowest levels are lucky if they get expenses, but between the top 3 tiers that's 68 teams, with many players in the PL earning similar if not more money to NFL players. They play more games here obviously, so a direct comparison doesn't really make sense. But is it more a case that there are other sports competing for the audience (baseball, basketball, CFB), that a spring league professional set up couldn't; make the revenue? Or is it that the players wouldn't accept more economic salaries for the risk etc.?
The closest we have to this is baseball and hockey. Without knowing the set up of football over there, most players for baseball and hockey are drafted and signed by the major league club to either a major league or minor league deal. Most minor league baseball and hockey are big draws in attendance but no real tv revenue and only a small radio revenue. Not as many players are making what we would consider a livable salary unless they are a prospect or a role player that bounces back and forth to the major league club.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.05561 seconds with 10 queries