View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #27
metalskins
The Starter

Re: Jay Gruden expected to return in 2018

It's a good move. My logic is, if a team is consistently winning about half of their games per season, and the Redskins are basically winning and average of 8 games per season now, then I believe it's a lot easier to build a team from there rather than starting at ground zero. 5 wins or less means that you have a lot of issues, and you're closer to a total rebuild. 8 wins means you're looking at changing the outcome of two games, which could make a world of difference between being a mediocre .500 team, and at minimum, being a consistent playoff team.

Gruden is at least an 8-8 coach. Yes, right now, he's Norv Turner. And while he greatly needs to improve in areas of coaching (game management, in-game adjustments, etc..), he has also been fantastic in keeping the team together through all the injuries that had occurred this season. So, again, my philosophy on this is, we're OK with allowing some players to develop, over time, and become great players if not super stars, why should it be different with head coaches? Not saying Gruden will ever become a superstar head coach, but I think he makes the most of his opportunity given to him to continue to improve. I think he's vastly improved over year one. I wasn't much of a fan of his halfway through year two. But Definitely by year three, I felt we had a solid good coach who would continue to improve, and I think he will.

Next year is a big year for the coaches. Let's see what happens. We may have another injury riddled year and we may have a year without Kirk Cousins. But, I'll say that Gruden is coaching on his last season as the Redskins head coach unless the Redskins are in the playoffs.

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.06711 seconds with 10 queries