View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #60
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Re: Redskins Offseason Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Based on Kirks comments this year, and Scots, it sounds more like they offered Cousins a contract during the 2015 season, Cousins wanted to but his agent wanted him to wait. After the season, Kirk wanted top be paid a big contract, but based on the talent evaluation of Mccloughan and Gruden they franchised him and said prove it. Cousins played well last year, and than shit the bed when it counted, but the FO still offered him a contract that was a legitimate starting point for negotiations, but Cousins wouldn't negotiate. There is no evidence that Bruce and Snyder interfered. What are you basing that on?

What you are so upset about would make more sense to me if last offseason they had said they were still unsure and wouldn't sign him long-term, but they did try. What should they have done differently?

I agree that if Kirk doesn't want to be here they should try to get compensation for him, and I agree that in hindsight they should have signed him before the first franchise tag, but only because now we now that Cousins would force a second tag, find me one person who said that at the time.
In 2016, I think Snyder and Allen could have locked up Cousins in a 3 year deal around $19.5 mil per year. Instead they lowballed him at $16 mil per year and ended up having to franchise him at $20 mil that year.

They franchised him again in 2017 for $24 mil. The market value per the Stafford, Luck, and Carr contracts is about $25 mil. That's the minimum Kirk's contract will be worth now.

Now they are looking at either paying him $34 mil this year to guarantee him staying, or $28 mil this year and risk someone else taking a gamble on Kirk exceeding that price.

All this versus the Skins FO could have had Kirk locked up at $20 mil the past couple years, and not be looking at the escalating $ tag situation now.... Snyder and Allen screwed up big time.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.96519 seconds with 10 queries