View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 12:28 PM   #8
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

First let me say that it is hard to evaluate how the offseason is going since there hasn’t been a single trade or free agent pickup yet.

Second, I HATE the Brunell deal. I am Ramseyfan so I think everyone knows why I hate this deal first and foremost. Moreover, I think we are vastly overpaying for Brunell’s services. Yes Brunell was a great quarterback for many years and yes in theory he could further tutor Ramsey to bring his development along and yes he brings experience. But, he’s too old, has a history of injuries (see multiple concussions), he cost us a high third rounder, he got an $8 million bonus (which, by itself is enough for me to hate the deal as it is worth more than Ramsey’s entire 5 year deal), he has be known to be a locker room cancer, and he has a history of not helping his backups/competition develop (see Byron Leftwich).

For the money we paid Brunell, we could have gotten Jeff Blake or Jay Fiedler as a backup (who are both experienced, better than most think, and pretty cheap) AND gotten a free agent like Shawn Springs AND drafted someone at the top of the third round.

While I worship Joe Gibbs, WHAT IN THE HELL WAS HE THINKING! Yes I am aware that it is always good to have two good quarterbacks, but Ramsey is a great quarterback, he took a major ass whooping for the team, is well respected by the team, is very hard working, is loved by the fans, and he doesn’t cost us much. Moreover, if Gibbs, Bugel, the oline, and Portis do their jobs, Ramsey should be very well protected. So, in my mind, either Gibbs doesn’t trust Ramsey or he doesn’t trust the Oline and Bugel.

As to the Portis-Bailey deal, I love it. While I would prefer not to give up a second round pick to Denver, I’d take the trade as is. Yes, Bailey is a superstar, yes Bailey is young, yes Bailey is the premiere cornerback in the league, and yes cornerbacks are harder to come by than tailbacks. That said, this is why the Bailey deal was good for us: first, Bailey did not want to be in D.C. and his wife did not want to be in D.C. for a variety of reasons, it’s not a good idea to try to keep players who don’t want to be here, Bailey’s contract would have cost us close to $9 million a year, we have a ton of leverage in Portis’ deal since he is already under contract, even if we renegotiate his deal he will cost a lot less than $9 million a year with a signing bonus of about $18 million, Portis is younger than Bailey and even though he’s a tailback I expect him to be in the league as long as Bailey, Portis is a monster (see 3,000 in his freshman and sophomore years), Portis is monster regardless of the o-line and the system (see clips of Portis’ juking and sprinting), while a good CB is tougher to come by than a good RB a good RB is worth FAR more than a good CB to the team, the FA cornerback market is great while the FA running back market is pathetic, Portis will bring the ‘Skins more publicity, respect and money, Detroit is no longer interested in the deal so forget about getting picks from them, the Jets offer is awful, and no one else has something to give us that comes close to Portis.

That said, take Portis, forget Brunell, get those free agents the WT noted were the ‘Skins targets, and I’ll give my final verdict on the ‘Skins offseason once all of that is said and done.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.10503 seconds with 10 queries