View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #62
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Giants part 1 Dumpster Fire postgame

Scott Turner offensive play calling is hard for me to grade. Everything is within 10 yards of the LOS and its like 1st and 2nd down plays are designed to try and get into a 3rd and short. Like making it 3rd and managable is the goal.

Every play seems to be a low risk, take what the D gives you play call, with the hope someone can break a tackle and make more yards than the play is designed to get.

There are no intermediate to deep throws. There are no throws to stretch a defense or keep safeties honest.

I read that Turner called lots of short stuff last year bc he was adjusting his scheme around his QB Allen who had a weak arm. But then this year with Haskins we saw a bunch of short stuff so I thought maybe Haskins isnt seeing the deeper routes?

We have been calling 10 variations of screens with Haskins, tons of slip screens ... yesterday I dont remember seeing one screen call.

I think we have been blessed to have Gruden, McVay and OConnell calling plays for us because those guys play designs were on point. The routes worked well together - forced a defender to have pick btw 2 routes allows the QB to just read that 1 defender - they were layered well (long, medium, short) so the Qb progressions were smooth - they would do a variation of the same look later in the game.

I dont think we threw it over 20 yards until we got within 20 yards of the end zone.

Seems intentional and maybe its the smart play with the lack of O talent. We cant get into a shootout with teams so control the ball, control the clock, hope your D can get a turnover or two and do just enough on offense to kick a game winning FG as the clock expires.

Playcalling .. especially after watching what McVay/OConnell did to us last week .. seems weak.

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.08784 seconds with 10 queries