View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 01:14 AM   #95
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: No indictment in the mike brown case

The two articles I posted are just a quick sample. I'm sure you can find actual statistics about how certain groups end up getting shot and killed by police more often than others. Here is a quick one that I found:

Exactly How Often Do Police Shoot Unarmed Black Men? | Mother Jones

I'm sure there are white men that could end up getting killed in a similar situation. But the way that the police acts towards people color is a concern, especially in the not so well known cases when a person gets shot without committing a crime. There are also many incidents of people of color from middle class and up who often face the same treatment.

Garner and Brown are the just the tip of the iceberg; and probably not the best cases to become the symbol of this issue.

The problem with this country is that people like to immediately go to the extremes and refuse to come to the middle for a discussion. Yes there are many problems with crime in many predominately black/brown communities (I grew up in one of them). No, this issue is not just about racism from the part of white people. But a lot of people are easily trying to dismiss the notion that black and brown people are treated different in many situations, including in cases very different from Brown and Garner.

As a person of color, I WISH we didn't have this issue in this country. I wish that the Brown and Garner case were isolated incidents. But I have witnessed through my own experience and that of friends of color that we tend to be treated differently.
R.I.P. #21

Last edited by Ruhskins; 12-23-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.03940 seconds with 10 queries