View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #858
12thMan
MVP

Re: Training camp 2011 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
One team shed their star QB in the offseason the other got their star QB back off of IR.

Dallas probably isn't as much of a contender as their fans would like to think, but I believe the reason that they've avoided criticism this offseason while the Redskins got ripped left and right is because it's very clear what the Cowboys are trying to do with their team post-Wade Phillips. They have Tony Romo and Felix Jones and Jason Witten and Miles Austin and Dez Bryant, and its clear what they expect of their offense. At best, the Redskins are asking for your hope and faith and patience while they try to show you that they haven't just wasted two years of their time. No one can really even say for sure what the Shanahan's own expectation for this group is. We've heard everything from getting into the playoffs to tanking the season for Andrew Luck from fans this offseason.

Hence comments like "Shanahan is going to wish he kept McNabb." That's not even true even if the Redskins struggle. But in the absence of a concrete plan, one liners about our QB situation cover a lot of the bases that writers need to touch on in preseason predictions.
The reason Dallas has avoided criticism is the constant, yearly media lovefest over the Cowboys. They ALWAYS start with the narrative that Dallas will be instantly competitive. Conversely, because of the Redskins losing track record and high profile flops over the past decade, the team usually starts with a PR deficit, if you will, and it's "wait and see" no matter who the coach is and the caliber of talent. So I don't think this is specific to Shanahan or the type of camp he's been running this year. It's a culture of losing and failing to meet expectations across the board that has perpetuated itself for many many years.

The Cowboys are bringing back the same cast (minus Roy Williams and a few others) of prima-donnas from last season. Any fair minded, objective football observer would probably agree that the Redskins have had a solid offseason. Better than Dallas'. Last season I was one of Shanny's harshest critics, but I do feel this team has a different energy and focus about itself. Of course, the game is ultimately played on the field.

No one knows what John Beck is going to give us if he indeed locks up the starting QB spot. But if I had to bet one way or another, my sense is a lot of journos are going to have some egg on their faces and eat a little crow if Mr. Beck finds his way in this offense.

Last edited by 12thMan; 08-25-2011 at 02:48 PM.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.06680 seconds with 10 queries