View Single Post
Old 04-17-2020, 10:14 PM   #16
Warthog
The Starter

The McNabb trade: 10 years later

Getting McNabb was just another Snyder-type, bone-headed move. Bring in a (former) good or very good player, but who now was on the far downside of their career - no longer very good or even good. Donovan was just another guy in the Snyder-era coming here just to “cash out” using Redskin’s money.

There was a strategic plan, perfected by GEORGE Allen in the ‘70’s, to use older FA to build a team. They had older guys who worked together and could win. Unfortunately, trying a similar plan was a total flop from the 1990’s, right when Snyder took over the team. I’m a little fuzzy on the average age of George Allen’s “Over the Hill Gang” FA players, but I don’t think it was a program built with players on their last legs - with just one or two seasons left. Between the 1970’s and when Snyder bought the team, the NFL changed by getting younger, stronger and faster. Few players make it past 10 years.

It has taken 20 years for Snyder to figure out that he needs a coach to create a winning culture and mostly using players who came to the team through the draft. Even most of the FA brought in now are under 30 years old. Only a couple “old timers” like AP are used - and even those guys MUST have some juice in the tank, as well as being good examples and mentors to the young guys. McNabb wasn’t one of those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.06843 seconds with 10 queries