View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 05:02 AM   #2
Shane
Special Teams

Mark Brunell is in good health and may play for a long while yet. He is immensely talented. What other quarterback are we supposed to put in there right now? Pat Ramsey is too young and inexperienced for a team to totally rely on. The Redskins are gearing up to make a run at the Super Bowl in the next few years, and we need a quarterback who can lead the way. Ramsey will have time to learn from Gibbs, the staff, and Brunell. He will fill in if Brunell gets nicked up. His time will come, hopefully not too soon, to be a starter again. That was a great move in my book.

The Portis trade is based on the idea that he is a runner of truly rare ability. That is the evalution made on him. Some people say, well Quentin Griffin got 130 yards one game against the run defense poor Colts, so that shows its just the Broncos' system. Yes the Broncos have developed some good runners lately, guys who have gained over 1000 yards, even 1500. They have a great eye for running back talent. But is Portis someone super special? I think he is, personally.

Mortensen on ESPN says that Gibbs runners in the past were bigger. So what, Mort? Times they are a changin. Maybe you need more speed now in your primary runner. That said, I'm sure we will have another running back for balance who will have more bulk.

Should we have thrown in the 2nd round draft choice? I think it came down to the Broncos being unwilling to make the trade if they didn't get that pick thrown in. We made the decision that this was the best value we were going to get in trading Bailey. I think it was the right call. Were we better off taking the Lions' first round pick and keeping our 2nd? Perhaps, but I doubt it. That would mean possibly drafting either Udeze or Taylor with the Lions pick, and having the 2nd rounder. Is that better than having Clinton Portis?
On the evalution that Portis is super special, the answer in my mind is probably no.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.04155 seconds with 10 queries