View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #71
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
It was speculation which I admit isn't really meaningful in this discussion but if others are gonna throw out there speculations then my speculation is equally as valid or not.

And again. I am not trying to make a point only to have a dialogue.

Teams trade down all the time with the expectation that the player they want will still be on the board. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. To me the process is an unknown so the speculation can go either way.

Scott's drafting history (btw Scott wasn't the principal decision maker in his previous spots) doesn't have bearing on whether not taking a QB in this situation was the right decision.

I'm perfectly comfortable with disagreement.
We could go pick by pick and I'm sure there would be disagreement. I was one of the people, even before the draft, that thought Scherff was both an OT as opposed to a guard and worthy of the 5th pick. I'm sure those were minority opinions before the draft. And this thread was meant as a discussion.

I'm not sure, what would change your mind?
About the only way I could ever see not drafting a qb this year as being a mistake is if all 3 qb's on roster walked away from the game before training camp.

In other words, nothing.

Out of all the areas that we needed to draft, Safety, CB, OL/DL and the amount of depth we need, I see no reason at all to waste a pick on an at best developmental qb. We weren't taking a qb in the first 2 rounds, where the pick would mean we at least expect him to compete for a starting spot in training camp, and round three, as you pointed out, they chose specifically to skip the round where the best of the rest qb's were going to go. In rounds 4-7 a qb pick is a guy who's going to sit behind your starter, learn your system and hope that he can cover for a game or two. We needed much more than that out of the picks we had.

Next year, we will have our qb situation sorted out, either releasing RGIII or paying to keep him. And hopefully our lines will be a bit more stable, but certainly we will pick more OL/DL. So any QB move should most definitely have waited till next year. No matter who was running the show.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.04606 seconds with 10 queries