Old 07-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #64
over the mountain
Playmaker

Re: Robert Griffin III ready to turn career around with Redskins in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Playcalling:
-inefficient playcall relay method--from Jay to McVay to Griffin
-predictability/lack of disguise; giving away tendency based on formation e.g. Trips w/ TE iso=pass almost 100%, base personnel I-form is almost always a run etc
-inconsistent playcalling rhythm, didn't set things up-this could be because 2 different people (Jay/Sean) both call plays (Jay himself confirmed that both he and Sean calls plays)
-not having faith in the QB e.g. vs 49ers called 2 QB draws and a WR throwback
pass on 3rd down

Gameplan:
-not enough commitment to the run
-too much straight drop back passing
-not enough comeback/stop routes
-not enough play-action
-not enough roll-out passes
-not enough sprint/motion passes
-not getting the ball to Garcon

Coaching:
-impatience with Griffin as early as training camp
-creating/adding to an circus atmosphere with his post game rant
-not being in sync with Griffin to create a gameplan that made him comfortable
-not having a QB coach
-going with a rookie OC created a staff devoid of experience and feedback
-not giving Morgan Moses help vs 49ers when he was playing LT

I think all of the above Jay/staff related issues played a role in Griffin's struggles.
strong list 30. You make good points re what the staff should have done but i wouldnt want to be a HC who has a QB so limited that he needs to run 1 read play calls and even then, the QB holds the ball until the receiver is open open. i dont think you can run a legit offense w RG3. not at this stage in his career at least. 2012 was genius and lightening in a bottle imo.

last year, a lot of ppl on here and talking heads on the radio didnt understand why Gruden didnt move the pocket, get RG3 rolling to his left. i remember hearing that every time RG3 rolled to his right it was a scramble and most times when he rolled to his left he would look pass-first. ( a quick search didnt bring anything up)

the play calling system has been cited as a reason why we are late getting to the line and then running out of time if the play call requires motions, shifts etc. for a guy like RG3 and w gruden knowing he struggles reading Ds pre-snap ... you would think giving him more time at the line would be a good idea.

"We’re very close mentally to thinking alike," Gruden said Tuesday. "When we put together a game plan and you have your third down situations, you can almost call them together."

MORE SKINS: O-LINE SHUFFLES ABOUND
The coach continued: "It’s very important for us to be on the same page when we install and call plays. But we’ll both have input on game day like we do every game. Whether he calls 50 percent, I call 50 percent, he calls 80 percent or 20 doesn’t matter as long as we agree during the week."

Though only 29 years old, many view McVay as a football wunderkind. He has been in the game his whole life, and it's clear the strong relationship he has with players on the practice field. Gruden trusts him, too.

OPEN THREAD: Does Redskins play-calling system make sense? | Comcast SportsNet Washington

-----------------------------

detailed breakdown by plays. ive never seen this site before.

RG3 vs the Cowboys - 27/41, 336 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.07210 seconds with 10 queries