View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 12:21 PM   #155
GridIron26
Playmaker

Re: WFT's Off-Season Thread

If I'm Rivera, this would be my off season plans:

#1 step: resign our players with expiring contract - Heinicke, Allen, Scherff, Cam Sims (1-2 years) and Darby (2-3 years), Ryan Kerrigan (if he accepts being #3 - behind Young and Sweat), Dustin Hopkins, Reuben Foster, David Sharpe, Nick Sundberg.

- Heinicke and Allen: the goal is have them battle for the backup spot in the training camp
- Cam Sims: he improved toward ending of the season although I still want to see more from him, especially if he wants to be #3 WR.
- Darby: he played better and stayed healthy throughout the season, which exceeded my expectations although I think we could find a better CB but since we have multiple needs all over the team. We could do worse than Darby so I think 2-3 years contract is a good way to compromise on this area.
- Kerrigan: it's likely he will sign with a different team but I definitely would be happy to resign him if he isn't able to find a team that will allow him to start.
- Hopkins: he had a down year but even with the down year, he is still better than half of the kickers in the league. Resign him and find competitors for him.
- Foster: at this point, we do not know if Foster will be able to play well since he didn't play the last 2-3 years but we need LBs badly so we need to uncover any hidden gems available out there. Sign him to a 1-2 years contract.
- Sharpe: we need depth on Oline and we should look to the draft and FA to find competitors for Sharpe for the backup T spot.
- Sundberg: he always has been a reliable snapper for years for the team, do I need to say anything else?

#2 step: extend those players' contract that will expire next year - Jonathan Allen, Logan Thomas, JD McKissic and Tim Settle.
- Allen: no need for the explanation
- Thomas: he far exceeded my expectations. As some of you guys might remember, I mentioned in the offseason last year that I had a feeling Thomas will make some contributions to the team but I did not expect him to become one of the key offense players for the team. We might as well extend his contract instead of waiting until the contract expires as it will be more expensive to resign him if we wait.
- McKissic: I had no expectations from him, I thought he would be a poor version of Chris Thompson only to realize he is on the same level as Thompson, only he is a little better at running the ball.
- Settle: just like Allen, no need to explain.

#3 step: look for #1 QB, whether it's Watson or Stafford. If we missed out on both of those players, I would be tempted to roll with Heinicke or Allen as a starter. I don't see any QB in the free agency that I would love to sign if we weren't able to get Watson or Stafford. I would consider Ryan Fitzpatrick only if my offense coordinator wants him.

#4 step: try to sign those FA players:
- Wide Receivers: Chris Godwin or Allen Robinson. If we couldn't sign one of those 2 players, then I would consider Kenny Golladay or Curtis Samuel. The former players would be my #1 target.
- Tight Ends: Jonnu Smith. We need a second TE, while Smith is not the best blocker TE he has improved throughout time and Smith is pretty amazing at YAC which is perfect for our offense system.
- Oline: I don't see anyone that jumps out at me but I definitely want to have several Oline players to compete for #1 LT and LG. I will look to the draft for this area as well.
- LB: Just like my approach for Oline, I will want to sign a few LBs to compete for #1 spot. I would love to sign Lavonte David but I'm having hard time seeing him willing to leave a SB contender team.
- FS: we need a safety that can cover the field in the worst way, I would target Justin Simmons or Anthony Harris to play with Curl.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.04713 seconds with 10 queries