Thread: Stanley Caps
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2021, 10:05 PM   #147
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Stanley Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
My mourning period is over. I did not think the Caps would get past the first but there were some really depressing trends evident in that series. Oldest team in the NHL, lack of future draft capital. I think they resign Ovie but TBH I would be fine if they let him walk. Thanks for your time and the great memories but we need a rebuild. If they resign him I am okay with it too I just can't have any expectations of a deep run.
I would have expectations of a deep run if Ovi was willing to take a pay cut like Sid/Malkin/Letang did for the Pens, but it seems that's not gonna happen. I suspect they are waiting for the expansion draft to happen before they announce a new deal with Ovi so they don't have to waste a roster spot on him.

Obviously they went all in on a window and now the window's closing. It seems like they've lost the aggressiveness that comes with not winning a cup and everyone lowering their expectations. 3 years now and they haven't even sniffed the second round. If they really wanted to compete for another cup they need a serious retooling so they can have the depth on the third/fourth lines necessary to compete. And this goes without saying but Kuzy needs to go. His contract is an albatross and he's not holding up his end of the deal off the ice.

Wish they would win another title to solidify Ovi's status as a HOFer but let's be honest, if you had to pick between another cup and Ovi breaking Gretzky's goals record I think we all know what we would pick. The only thing that concerns me is Ovi probably needs to start tightening up his fitness, he's been able to rely on his status as a physical freak (look at his pre-game meal or listen to the stories of him drinking coke on the bench over the years) but you def. gotta start working harder to maintain that level of fitness into your late thirties. He's always been known for his physicality and his ability to stay healthy but this year was the first year he actually suffered a serious injury that kept him out longer than a couple games.

Idk I guess I'm taking the long way of saying I really don't expect them to compete for more cups until Ovi retires. And I'm willing to let that slide if he keeps maintaining progress towards Gretzky's goals record.

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.04177 seconds with 10 queries