View Single Post
Old 03-06-2004, 12:43 PM   #17
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Define "we". "WE" the fans? The fans don't have a say one way or the other. The NFL decides who gets to play in their league and who doesn't. Clarett should no more be able to demand to play in the NFL than you or I.
Change that to they, I think you're bright enough to figure out I meant we as a nation. We as football people of all sorts. More specifically the NFL.

Quote:
So what? I'm trying to make a living too! That doesn't entitle me to seek a court order demanding that I get into a doctor's office to start practicing medicine because, "I'm trying to make a living!"
Ok, let's use my analogy this time! You're going to college, a firm comes out and offers you 100K a year if you join now, however if you stay in college you'll only get 60K a year when you get out no matter where you go. I think that you can do the math here and figure out what you'll be doing. Money is a huge part of football, no one can deny that. Clarett isn't exactly a Field Hockey Player trying to make the transition into football, he's been a football player since he can remember. You haven't been training to be a doctor since you can remember.

Quote:
Fine. He may be an amazing talent. But I disagree with your premise that he "carried his team to a national championship". Football is the ultimate team sport. No one player singlehandedly leads any team anywhere without the cooperation, talent, and motivation of other members of the team.
Individual talent is not to be ignored. Don't let all the media hype fool you, unless you have players you can't do anything. Think the Patriots would have made it to the SuperBowl without Ty Law? Brueski, Brady? Answer: NO. Stars are needed. Barry Sanders never had shit around him and he still made the Lions orginization a lot better by himself. Had Barry had any sort of line or even a longer career in that shithole he would own every RB record known to man. Clarett didn't win by himself, but he was the key reason they did so well, they fed it to him and threw easy short passes. Clarett made that team.

Quote:
The NFL is a private organization, Daseal. No one should be able to sue a private organization to demand entry. Let me ask you this: Can I seek an injunction to enter your home, despite your contention that your house is private property and you have the right to let in whomever you want? According to your logic, I can. I have every right to walk into your house by the order of a court simply based upon my opinion that I "deserve" to be there. And not you, or anyone else can stop me.
If you get a court order to live in my house, I am forced by law to abide, you'd never get one because it's an unreasonable request, but it could happen. If you and the judge agree that you "deserve" to be there then you most likely will be there. You're forgetting a key aspect of the Clarett case. THEY HAD TO GO THROUGH THE LEGAL PROCESS which you seem to be completely skipping in your analogies. Also, you can demand entry into the NFL. They are a private orginization, this means abosolutly nothing. Golf Courses that are male only still have to hire females that are qualified due to equal oppurtunity employment. They can let females not play because they would have to be paying members which they can neglect services to, however they can NOT keep females from working there. Just like the NFL can't keep legal adults out, unless the FCC says Football below age 21 is hazardous to your health, which is absurd.

Quote:
And it's a ruling by a judge who admitted that she had never seen more than one half of a football game in her entire life.
That's good, she doesn't have any sort of bias which is what we want in the court room. Someone who doesn't give a rats ass either way as far as this ruling goes she saw a kid trying to play but being kept out from laws that are ILLEGAL. Understand that, the NFL rules violate US law.

Defensewins: I agree with you, but remember, no age group gets bullied around like the 16-21 age group. We have no political power because we can't run, no political pull because we're poor and no real impact on elections since we have a poor turnout. However if someone steps up and organizes this age demographic some people could be in deep shit. We're also the age group that spends frivilously. Look at the laws, you can't do shit till you're 21. You have to take all the responsibility of an adult without any of lifes simple pleasres. Drinking, Gambling, etc. Of course I can enter into a legally binding contract but I can't have a glass of wine at dinner. Hell, I can't even buy cooking wine... which granted I personally wouldn't use... but hey!

Quote:
The difference is that while any college student can drop out of college to seek work, they cannot go to court and sue to get into a position the employer feels they are not qualified for. It is, after all, the employers decision whether or not they hire the applicant.
Who feels Clarett isn't qualified for the NFL? Very few people don't think he can play in this league, most people are upset because their beloved college teams can no longer just exploit these guys for cash. It's also the employeers decesion to pick up players or not. The NFL doesn't sign the checks, the team does. Teams don't HAVE to draft Clarett, teams don't HAVE to pick him up as an Undrafted agent. However he is talented, so they will. And you can sue for positions if you feel you were unfairly discriminated against. Just like those multiple lawsuits against colleges because a white student who was a better student was kept out because of affirmative action. Same with jobs, people sue if they feel they didn't get it because of some kind of descrimination (age, gender, race, etc)

DefenseWins, you're absolutly right. It's called Equal Oppurtunity Employment. Very few places are exempt from it. I mean, no one wants to see a man modeling lingerie. The NFL shouldn't be, yes this means the doors could open to women, but they better get ready to get the shit hit out of them, because you can't let someone score or catch because they're female.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.06727 seconds with 10 queries