View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #21
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Re: DJ Swearinger's post game remarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Coaches at all levels have drifted further and further from the discipline of days gone by. I played in High School and College in the 70's, what was done to us would have gotten most every coach fired or even jailed today. In High School we had a line coach who played for Bear Bryant at Alabama, if you were caught not paying attention he would blast into you like he was run blocking, if you were lucky you saw it coming. Moral to that story is that is what you will get if you are caught not paying attention on the field.

I used to think a face mask was more to give a coach something to grab while he yelled at you, more than protecting your nose and teeth from being broken. The day after a game was film review of our performances. If the team as a whole played well, that is all it was, if it didn't, laps and wind sprints were added at the end. Often an individual would be called out and a few extra laps or 40's would be added in his honor.

Everybody is different, some guys give 100% no matter what, others won't and need to be pushed and prodded constantly. I am not saying to discipline an NFL player like a High Schooler from 45 years ago, but they will respond to getting playing time taken away. Problem is only someone with Bill Belichick's resume can get away with benching a star player for disciplinary reasons.
Most other NFL coaches lack the stones to do it, if they all did they all would have more control.

I don't buy that you can't discipline grown men who are millionaires in the NFL. They seem to do it in the NBA, there are plenty of very talented players that get in the coach's dog house, lose minutes and or get shipped out.
Stars don't get disciplined at all in any league or at the very least the same as marginal players.

The NBA is probably worst example. There is always drama in the NBA.

In the NBA good players intentionally limit their minutes and take planned games off.

The difference is guaranteed contracts.

Guys without will toe the line, while guys with are in a different category.

Im not saying I know what to do, I'm just saying it isn't as black and white as some on here make it out to be.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.06516 seconds with 10 queries