View Single Post
Old 08-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #152
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Re: Manders v Chiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I'm definitely not defending him. I was more so pointing out that - blitz or no blitz - they haven't been effective.

But I don't put a lot of stock in the preseason, or get too caught up with the results. I just think it's so different, schemes, players, game planning, 'experimenting'. It isn't comforting though, that we are seeing the same things that were wrong with this defense last year.

In my opinion, if the defense is crap again coming out of the gate (especially the 3rd down defense) I want to see a change by week 5.
Good point. When things aren't working well we, me included, have a tendency to look for easy fixes: blitz more! switch back to a 4-3 ! more screens !

But the game is way more complicated than that, those "solutions" are way too vague. There are billions of ways to blitz, millions of way to align in a 4-3 and many different ways to screen. The matter is finding the appropriate way for each situation, depending of your personnel, scheme, opponent and in game situation... And that's why none of us are Head Coaches ^^

Beside from X and O, one thing we can judge to a certain extent is intensity and discipline. This defense lacks both. And this points towards coaching.

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.04745 seconds with 10 queries