View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #37
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: What’s your plan for the Quarterback position?

Been a while since I posted on here but this one intrigued me. Not least because virtually every post is ignoring the FA situation aside from QB.

For me, my handicap is that I don't see much college ball at all (NFL on Sky here in the UK and a few odd games here and there online. As such I can't comment on the guys coming out in this years draft, but from what I've seen if you build a team around a guy like Murray, you could replicate what Seattle did.

But we have to see how FA works out for us in other positions. Smith's contract is like the sword of Damocles hanging over the franchise, so we have limited wiggle room for FA. That means we may have to fill a lot of gaps through the draft this year, so can we afford a 1st round pick on a QB? If the right guy is still there at 15 I say yes, but if not, I agree with the idea of looking for a diamond, or at least a serviceable player lower down. If Smith does come back late next season/next year, and can play, we don't want a QB controversy, so we need a kid that may be better in 2-3 years than a day 1 starter; that's all dependent on Smith coming back and us not being better off cutting him or injury settling before his final year - anyone confirm what happens if we cut him after next season?

For me I'd see whether we think the OL and Guice can generate enough ground game to overcome a mediocre QB and draft lower if we can't get the right guy at 15. Get LB's and DB's to fill gaps on D, maybe a WR (if our current crop come back strong we only need to draft a true deep threat, else I'd draft 2 WR's to be sure), and for hells sake 2-3 OL hopefully including a LG and C with starter potential. With that I'd ride McCoy with the rookie as backup and then see how the whole situation pans out. We could get lucky with a rookie diamond in the rough and compete next year, McCoy could prove the doubters wrong or we tank and have a high pick for a QB next year. That approach worked eventually for the Browns didn't it?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.04152 seconds with 10 queries