View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #18
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: Dirty Birds Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
As someone who has called for running the ball from day 1 and stopping the run...its a relief to finally see it. Both the losses we couldn't run the ball, we tried and it didn't happen.

Do you think Jay see this as winning football? I still see him as trying to go up with big plays, go conservative and win with defense. I think he fears playing from behind. I think Jay wants more balance in the offense.
In my opinion, Jay sees the "run/stop the run" philosophy as winning football only if it is complimented by a good passing game; rather, he thinks winning football looks like "run/stop the run/have a credible/functioning passing threat" philosophy.

More importantly than any concern over his commitment to the run, I think Gruden's fatal flaw is his inability to go for the jugular. There was an article, somewhere, recently that Jay coaches out of fear. Didn't read it (probably means it was behind the Post's firewall), but I thought the headline was a solid take. Two games ago, Gruden ran on almost every first down. Last week, after catching flak for doing so, he opened up with three passes on the first three drives. In addition, his end of game calls - when we need to run the clock out and a 1st down wins the game - just seem horrific and incredibly predictable: Run, run, pass (incomplete/short), surrender the ball with lots of time on the clock.

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.03414 seconds with 10 queries